Berlin System

kominato

• SRC Member

I dunno if this is the correct thread...but would very much like 2 hear from those using this method, I believe it does away the sump, but just LRs, sand bed and skimmer. Thinking of going this way..so would like 2 know exactly how to set up this system, like sandbed thickness, and amount of fishes I can put in a 5ft tank. Thanks

The Universal Law of Cause and Effect a.k.a the Mystic Law manifested in the Universe as Nam-Myoho-Renge-kyo. For World Peace and Human Happiness.

• SRC Member

Although i never tried the berlin method but here is a brief explaination of how isit like. Hope they are of some help to you.

The nitrates that conventional filters leave behind in a marine aquaria can be dealt with by using the Berlin Method. This system uses a protein skimmer, a mechanical filter, lots of water movement and 'live' rock.

The mechanical filter is just that. Its job is to get rid of solid wastes from the tank. A powerful external filter does the job well and has the added bonus of producing lots of water movement. Something that turns over the tank volume two to three times an hour should do the trick. This filter must be kept purely mechanical i.e. the media should be replaced or cleaned in tap water to kill any bacteria at least once a week. This is essential to keep the nitrogen cycle (biological filtration) in balance.

The biological filter takes the form of live rock. This porous rock comes complete with a population of bacteria, sponges and tube worms all of which help to clean and filter the water. The bacteria in particular form a balanced community of bugs that will convert ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate AND, in the oxygen starved interior of the rock further bacteria convert the nitrates to oxygen and free nitrogen gas. It is because this is a balanced community relying on the percolation of water through porous rock that we must restrict the amount of biological activity produced elsewhere.

If your mechanical filter becomes 'live' it will produce extra nitrate which the rock will not be able to cope with. The tank water obviously needs to be in contact with the rock and this is the reason you need lots of water movement, from your power filter but also some additional pumps or powerheads.

This system has a lower stocking level for fish than a fish only system but you can keep corals and other invertebrates in this kind of tank.

Supplementing with supplements will keep ur corals in good health but do perform testing before dosing. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.