Are octopuses allowed as pets in Singapore?

It's not a crime.

But you should be wary about keeping the BRO (Blue Ring Octopus) as they are highly venomous. They come in occasionally.

Octopi are excellent escape artistes, you need to learn their habits and needs before setting up a tank for them.

It's not a crime.

But you should be wary about keeping the BRO (Blue Ring Octopus) as they are highly venomous. They come in occasionally.

Octopi are excellent escape artistes, you need to learn their habits and needs before setting up a tank for them.

Ridiculously low priced too. $10 only. :ph34r:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 weeks later...

My 10 cents worth of advice - if you have not kept an octopus before, do not keep the blue-ring on the first attempt. Because they are such good Houdini's (escape artist), the blue-ring is therefore exceptionally dangerous. A recorded death caused by blue-ring octopus, which happened in Singapore, was due to a boy picking up a blue-ring on the beach (the blue-ring was presumed to have been swept by the currents into Singapore, and was dying) and was stung. They are also very agile creatures, and can move faster than you can catch them. So if you have children at home, my advice is never to have such a creature around, unless you are very sure you can keep it securely in the tank without any chance of escape.

BTW, I don't think there is an anti-venom for the BRO in Singapore, hence all envenomations are treated symptomatically (i.e. the doctor will prescribe drugs for whatever he sees). Unlike the stonefish or sea-snake, there are actually local institutes which store the anti-venom.

• 17 years later...
  • 1 year later...