Water circulation

koniyakutz

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I’m currently using a 1200L/hr canister filter to circulate the water in my 2ft*1.5ft*1.5ft tank. I suspect there is insufficient flow as I have grayish patches and dirt all over the sand bed.

I plan to do away with the canister filter and use a Seio M620 instead, however I have some concerns:

1) The M620 has a flow rate of 2400L/hr, will it be too strong for my tank?

2) Will the strong current stress my fishes?

3) Currently, I have leather corals in my tank but I’m planning to add some LPS and clams in the near future. Will the strong flow rate do any harm to the corals?

4) As I do not have a sump, I’m relying on my canister for mechanical filtration, LR for biological filtration and macro skimmer to remove DOC. By doing away with the canister filter, I will lose my mechanical filtration. Is this alright?

Thanks and sorry if the questions sound stupid, I’m still a noobie newbie. :paiseh::paiseh::thanks:

• SRC Member

imo .... you could run the canister filter on a spraybar at the middle of the tank.......behind the rockwork..... this will flush out any detritus that may be stuck behind your live rocks... and makes it easier for u to syphen away...... and the seio can be put at any corner of the tank to provide water current.....

If you have a small tank, you will most certainly need as much filtration as possible, be it mechanical or natural.

There are pros and cons of each and you will have to live with them.

The canister filter can be removed if you are willing to boster your husbandry methods some other way.

The internal circulation powerhead only moves water but does not aid in filtration.

You have to adjust your powerhead accordingly if it becomes stressful for your livestock ie. fish getting stuck against the wall! :D Corals flying around the tank! ;)

AT

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. :)

The season why I wanted to remove the canister is b'cos I'm worried the strong water current might stress the fishes and corals.

I have seen the M620 in a 2ft tank before, very strong current and the fishes had problems swimming. :shock:

• SRC Member

I have a 500l/hr and a 1700 l/hr pump to aid circulation in my nano.

And also the output from my eheim.

Been using this setup for a long time, no problem at all.

Fishes like to go against the flow and play with the current especially myflame angel.