A short review on aquapharm epoxy

shoelevy

• SRC Member

"As requested by Jan"

Introduction

Many who have simply rest their corals on their rocks without applying epoxy inevitably find that one fine day, that coral is found somewhere lower than where it was originally placed, because it was toppled either by turbo snails or some other lifestock.

i too was a victim of this toppling...fortunately for me, there wasn't any casualties.

But others may not be so lucky.

So i decided to get myself some epoxy

under the recommendation of a friend, i decided to get: Aquapharm Epoxy

post-17-1113146603.jpg

• SRC Member

Contents

It is a 2 part epoxy, one white and one red.

Both parts are responsible for the hardening and the red part is responsible for the red colour of the epoxy after it sets.

The red colour is meant to minimise the stark (and sometimes ugly) difference between the colour of coralline on our rocks and the (usually white) colour of the epoxy

post-17-1113146975.jpg

• SRC Member

Kneading

During kneading, the epoxy can be quite hard and requires abit of strength to knead (perhaps i'm just weak in the arms :lol: )

I've tried industrial epoxy to seal up a crack in my sump and i swear it wasn't that tough

AFter 5mins of kneading, this is what you get

post-17-1113147259.jpg

• SRC Member

What i like about it

The fact that it isn't pure white makes it a bonus for me.

But the weight of this plus pt varies from person to person as some do not mind the stark white colour that other epoxies give.

Problems i faced

1)After kneading the epoxy, the moment its brought into the aquarium water, some part of it "dissolved" to form a white cloudy trial in the direction of water flow.

Although this incident was very short and minimal, i suppose it could cause quite a bit of problem if the epoxy were used in large quantities and in a nano tank.

Solution:perhaps washing the knead under tap water would help bring away some of the materials that would dissolve

Reaction from corals and fishes

Except for the frogspawn, that was within 4inches from the hammer, retracting, non of the other lifestock (fish, shrimps and crabs, and corals included) showed any signs of stress from using the epoxy

The frogspawn recovered within an hour or so

That's all for my review.

All opinions expressed here are shaped by my personal experience with using this product and is by no means a form of comparison against the experience of other users, nor are these views to be used for comparing aquapharm epoxy with other brands of epoxies

Thank you for reading

This 2 part epoxy sounds very similar to Milliput that is used in the UK for aquariums and i have commented on before.

The small amount of product which dissolves into the water is no real issue and means that this epoxy is more hydrophillic which aids wetting and hence adhesion on the rock.

• SRC Member

Foaming

Some have asked if the epoxy causes excessive skimmer foaming.

After 30mins of constant and another 3 hrs of occasional monitoring, the answer is no.

after 24hrs,i also did not notice more skimmate in the collection cup

in comparison, 10mins after feeding my fishes with 2 cubes of frozen brine, it started to foam quite significantly

However, this foaming part of my review is highly limited to just my observations.

I could very well have missed the foaming during the first 3hrs due to the fact that monitoring was only occasional

so if anyone has a different experience from mine with regards to foaming, please come forward to post your experience here

Would appreciate all inputs regarding this

:thanks: :thanks:

• 2 weeks later...

Must agree it is really a great putty to use.... have been using Tunze up to now and my experience is that tunze is abit too soft... have been using it to stick most of my SPS frags, and even those with the aquaculture bases... ;)

As for the the epoxy causing the skimmer to stop skimming as mentioned in an earlier post, I tink it has to do with the amount of epoxy u use... have seen some fellow reefers using lots of epoxy to stick a frag... and I tink the use of epoxy have to come with a bit of practice, use to use lots of epoxy to stick one colony and make a big mess! :P

All said, I tink it's worth a try for those who haven't tried this brand as it has been working very well for me! :lol:

Disclaimer : This is purely my personal experience in using the epoxy, if you tink another brand is better, you're free to continue using it! :peace:

Btw, this is purely my own satisfaction with the product, was not requested by anyone to do this mini review... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
"As requested by Jan"

Care to clarify who requested the review?

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

I use Deltec expoxy before and found that it sticks well initially bit tends to sort of dry up in the tank and come off after a few months. Understand from some reefers that you need to clean the area first before applying it so that is sticks better.

Good if u can let us know if this also happens for this epoxy..

:thanks:

• SRC Member

35cents : Jan is the pretty lady boss at jalan kayu

shawncel: i will monitor the epoxy for the next few months and will get back to this thread on the results

btw, how exactly do you clean the surface before applying the epoxy?

clownfish: pls call the shop or pm them for the prices as revealing prices without their permission wouldn't be nice :)

• SRC Member
35cents : Jan is the pretty lady boss at jalan kayu

Thank you. That's all I need to know.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

wahaha

better not reveal what i feel about her looks

said pretty purely cause most people say that!

Okay lah,

jokes aside, Janet is actually a pretty, warm, nice friendly person, I believe alot of reefers would agree with dat... And also definitely much better than alot of shopkeepers that I've seen! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg