twice failed!where is the mistake?

• SRC Member
eeerr...can I get the frozen mysis or brine shrimp from reborn also?what is BBS? sorry....yes,when I saw the white spots on the baby tangs,my brain half dead liao,thats why its like the end of the world to me.

Now waiting and waiting till reborn open...

I checked the nutrafin max that I m feeding.There isnt any garlic extract in there... does UV works?If yes,I really dont mind investing in one.

BBS = baby brine shrimp....

UV helps in a certain way... as UV light kills off a certain stage of the ich's life-cycle....

but it also kills alot of other useful stuff which is essential for a reef tank.....

thats why some dudes invest alot in a standalone UV system.... another tank for ich treatment...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I was reading some of the threads in the forum saying they have cleaner shrimps in the tank and it helps to pluck off white spots from the fish?Does it really mean it?The last time when I had a cleaner fish in my tank,the emporer ate it up :(

beside feeding the fish with garlic extract,what other things can I do for the 2 baby tangs?

IMHO, Tangs are not be be added into a young tank not to mentioned one that is not confirmed cycled.

Tangs needs very high water quality with good currents. Anything below that you will be stressing them and with that ICK will appears.

Looking at the nature and we will know, most Tangs can be found only in surge zones where the water are prestine.

Your tank current tank condition right now resembles coastal waters where Damsels, Gobies and some other hardier species will survive.

I am not saying you cannot and will never be able to keep Tangs, but you need to slowly improve your tank condition so that you may in the future.

As for ICK, there is not proven methods that eradicate ick. I have tried countless off the shelf medication and supplements but none of them works as well as "Prevention & Knowledge"

Prevention: By preventing any cause of ICK from happening by improving water parameters and quarantining new aquisitions.

Knowledge: By knowing what is your tank condition and thereby not introducing fishes that your tank may not be able to manage. By knowing the needs of different fishes.

Marine Aquaria is a hobby, we should enjoy it rather then being stressed how to run it.

Thus, please feel free to get as many proper advises as possible and stick to them - you will notice after a while you will be able to sit back and enjoy. :)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

personally, IMO...u are rushing too fast. As many reefers mentioned, patience is the keyword. I do understand that budget does comes along in marine. U got to spend wisley on equipments that needed. Spend more time reading threads on SRC. It can helps you alot.

I suggest that let you tank cycle as long as possible before adding any LS. and please remove the baby blue tang. Pass it to somone Or you can sell it away. IMO, Tangs are not easy to keep as I have few experiences on these which resulted I stopped keeping tangs. e.g itch breakout. Also, meanwhile, checked your water parameters like Ammonia, Nitrate etc etc, post online and let us know. It would be better to let us have the whole specs, at least we can assist you in defining the problems that went wrong.

Hope these helps!

^_^^_^

• SRC Member

Gouldian, you are right.Marine Aquaria is a hobby, we should enjoy it rather then being stressed how to run it. It has been stressful for me cos it seems like I never get it right.

Before I put the 2 tangs in.I asked reborn since my family friend bought it at reborn. The uncle told me I can add any fish in for my tank after I told him about my tank. That was when I went ahead with it. ...

the fish are swimming very well...didnt even rub on rocks like what an itch supposed to be...hope the garlic extract would do some help.

I was reading some of the threads in the forum saying they have cleaner shrimps in the tank and it helps to pluck off white spots from the fish?Does it really mean it?The last time when I had a cleaner fish in my tank,the emporer ate it up :(

beside feeding the fish with garlic extract,what other things can I do for the 2 baby tangs?

Cleaner shrimps (CS), Cleaner Wrasses (CW) and Neon Gobies (BG) will eat external parasites (not just ICK) clinging onto the fishes bodies or mouth.

However, ICK is not their stable diet.

Even the obligate feeders such as the CW have been seen ignoring ICK sometimes - I am sure some reefers here have experienced fishes with ICK in a tank full of CS, CW and NG.

Thus the conclusion that some reefers have is that, cleaners like us humans, will pick and choose food. And when things taste awful we will tends to ignore it and goes for another source. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Since there is still possibility that Cleaner shrimps (CS), Cleaner Wrasses (CW) and Neon Gobies (BG) will eat external parasites (not just ICK).Does it help if I have these cleaners in the tank?

At some point,I really do not know what should I do with the tank beside just leaving it there untouched.I just have this phobia with them.And it wasnt my idea to add in the 2 tangs.It was a gift from a family friend. Maybe it was bad timing...

Gouldian, you are right.Marine Aquaria is a hobby, we should enjoy it rather then being stressed how to run it. It has been stressful for me cos it seems like I never get it right.

Before I put the 2 tangs in.I asked reborn since my family friend bought it at reborn. The uncle told me I can add any fish in for my tank after I told him about my tank. That was when I went ahead with it. ...

the fish are swimming very well...didnt even rub on rocks like what an itch supposed to be...hope the garlic extract would do some help.

Hi Jaslyn, what will be your answer if you are a sales-person and someone ask you about whether or not he or she should buy your product? - The answer is simple, all of us will say. "My product is suitable for you! You should get it".

Anyway, let's not dwell over spilled milk.

The key to recovering from ICK will happens only when the fishes are feeling at home plus the fact that there are some health boosting supplement such as vitamin C or garlic.

However, please keep in mind that whatever supplements, medications and even vitamins if overdosed and not consumed will in turn pollute your tank and thus further stressed your fishes.

I have never on my battle with ICK with Achilles Tang, but I have won my battle with Bristle Tooth and even Powder Blue Tang. One senior (Mr R) hinted to me to check on the natural habitat of tangs and try to simulate it.

What I did were, feeding enriched food and improve my circulation dramatically.

Some reefers may know, I used 1 x Seio 620, 1 x Seio 820 and 1 x Tunze 6000 for my closed loop. My return is Aquabee 3000 (the max I can use due to my overflow pipe).

Battling ICH and enjoying the hobby is easy when you have the right guy to guide you step by step. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

ok.vitamin C and garlic extract...I shall get them from the store when it opens. I will just feed a little to make sure they consume the food in order not to pollute the water.

If its stress related...should I turn off the lights?

• SRC Member
ok.vitamin C and garlic extract...I shall get them from the store when it opens. I will just feed a little to make sure they consume the food in order not to pollute the water.

;) For me, I uses garlic extracts to mix with prepare food or pellets . And leave it for a while before feeding. Also, some pellets comes with garlic extracts. Maybe you can find it in LFS. One of the brands im using is "formula 1" if im not wrong.... :lol:

• SRC Member

yes u should...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

Since there is still possibility that Cleaner shrimps (CS), Cleaner Wrasses (CW) and Neon Gobies (BG) will eat external parasites (not just ICK).Does it help if I have these cleaners in the tank?

At some point,I really do not know what should I do with the tank beside just leaving it there untouched.I just have this phobia with them.And it wasnt my idea to add in the 2 tangs.It was a gift from a family friend. Maybe it was bad timing...

You can try adding the CS, as they are definitely easier for you to handle as compared to CW.

Although some of us have had successes with CW, most reefers even books warn against their poor survivability of these obligate cleaners and that they are best left in the ocean for mother nature to care for. Thus I dun think I will reccomend them to you.

I am sorry to agree with you that the crux is on the two tangs your family friend have given you. Often, we have people that will purchase with good intention some "nice" fishes as gift but sometimes the fishes just simply cannot accomodated due to various reasons.

We just have to gently tell them that our tank is not capable of keeping them. If boh bain and bring it back to the shop to exchange for something you can managed. :D

In fact, not only beginners need to reject such kind offers even seniors in this hobby. For example, if you get a certain file fish as gift for your favourite SPS reefer, will mean him slamming the door at you. :P

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

They are stress not due to the external environment thus reduce lighting athough is good does not help too much.

What is important is the water parameter especially the flow. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

ok.I just turned off the lights of the tank.will get some cleaner shrimps too on the same time when I get the vitamin C and garlic extract.

Thanks for all the info given. Yes,I m naive as to not think that the sales person would just tell me to get everything but I thought since the shop is so highly recommended,I should be ok to take their advice. And also the uncle did tell me,its ok if its blue tang,if its powder blue,he would suggest better not...

ok.I just turned off the lights of the tank.will get some cleaner shrimps too on the same time when I get the vitamin C and garlic extract.

Thanks for all the info given. Yes,I m naive as to not think that the sales person would just tell me to get everything but I thought since the shop is so highly recommended,I should be ok to take their advice. And also the uncle did tell me,its ok if its blue tang,if its powder blue,he would suggest better not...

The tips of introducing CS is to do it slowly. Start by placing the bag un-open into your tank so that the temperature will adjust accordingly to your tank temp.

After 10mins, scoop some water out from the bag to be thrown away and replace with you tank water.

Once all water is replace and the CS does not show any stress, you may introduce the CS into your tank.

Actually since you are on FOWLR, you may even try Hyposalinity, but do so with proper guidance froma senior. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

what is hyposalinity?

Hmm...thats the way I introduce new fish into tank too.to leave the bag upopened in the water for a while then scoop water from my tank in to neutralise the temperature and so on...except i didnt scoop out the water from the bag.

Hm...another question might sounded stupid.what is cleaner shrimp to begin with?I know its a shrimp but how does it looks like?How many shrimps can I put in the tank?

what is hyposalinity?

Hmm...thats the way I introduce new fish into tank too.to leave the bag upopened in the water for a while then scoop water from my tank in to neutralise the temperature and so on...except i didnt scoop out the water from the bag.

Hm...another question might sounded stupid.what is cleaner shrimp to begin with?I know its a shrimp but how does it looks like?How many shrimps can I put in the tank?

Cleaner Shrimp

Hyposalinity

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
dun soak yr dry food.... get frozen mysis or brine shrimp.... better....... or not u can try gut-loading live BBS.....

eeerr...can I get the frozen mysis or brine shrimp from reborn also?what is BBS? sorry....yes,when I saw the white spots on the baby tangs,my brain half dead liao,thats why its like the end of the world to me.

Now waiting and waiting till reborn open...

I checked the nutrafin max that I m feeding.There isnt any garlic extract in there... does UV works?If yes,I really dont mind investing in one.

i think BBS is brine shrimps also...

correct me if i'm wrong..

• SRC Member

Hi everyone,

the 2 blue tangs are spotless now.The white spots has gone since wed morning but I m still feeding the garlic guard.Wonder do I have to feed it everyday forever or is there a special way to use the garlic guard?

Good to hear that the tangs are now spotless.

For me, I will continue to feed garlic as you know, ICK have 3 stages life cycle.

1) Swimming on water column hunting for prey

2) Drop off from fishes bodies onto substrates, dormant

3) Attached on fishes bodies

Only on stage 3 then are they visible to us. Thus we have to keep our vigilance. ;):lol::D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Shouldn't be a problem as garlic enhances the appetite of your fish too. Prevention is always better than cure. Meanwhile, observe your little blue tangs. If they are healthy and eating heartily there will be less likelihood they will white spots.

However, do be careful when you add any new fish in your tank. Tangs are susceptible to icks. I went through the same experience as you when I bought 3 baby blue tangs (1 inch). One succumbed to white spots. The other two are now 4 inches and are healthy and happy.

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I have another problem after the 2 new tangs became spotless.

I got 2 cleaner shrimp on Monday when I got the garlic guard. Everything was fine until this morning. 1 seemed molted but I can only find the molted 'jacket' under or between the live rocks.I cant find the shrimp.Is this normal?When a shrimp molted,does it molt from head to tail?

Read on another thread that fish will attack the shrimp especially when they became defenceless during molting but I have never seen any of the fist attacking the shrimp since day 1.I know it cos I have been sitting most of my time next to the tank to monitor the 2 baby tang. One of the thread says the royal gramma (dottyback) would attack shrimp but my shrimps are bigger than most of the fish in the tank,except the maroon crown.And the royal gramma I have is most of the time hiding inside the live rock. My maroon never had any interest in the shrimp.....

What could have happened?

• SRC Member

Yes shrimps moult from head to tail. They are most vunerable during the moulting stage and are easy prey for predators such as those fish you read about, including bristle worms, crabs, etc which are lurking in the live rocks. I have seen that happen many time to my shrimps.

If you see only the molted jacket, your shrimp should be fine somewhere in the tank.