twice failed!where is the mistake?

• SRC Member
I was using a 3 ft tank,weipro SA2011 protein skimmer with air pump,cannister filter from Jebo868,undergravel sandbed filtration,light.I have 3 rocks in there.I put in 1 yellow tailed damsel fish after a week of 'conditioning' the water.

Under Gravel Filter??? That's almost a definite no-no... canister also not very useful.. best if you can get a proper sump...

I also agree that the 2011 is too small for this kind of stocking... and why would your 2011 need an air pump?

Bro.. but first of all, STOP LISTENING TO THE LFS WHOM YOU HAVE BEEN BUYING THESE THINGS... they most likely have already chopped you many times over...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I agreed when I just start out a few months ago I kena chopped .... Feel the pinch :pinch: go look around and check more online.... If can just visit those bigger farm at pasir ris farmway or maybe other area ... Reborn and some other shops is not bad just go there and check out the different prices and learn more from the people there before u just go ahead buying and realize that in the end all failed....

:) At least now my tank inmate are all doing fine and I feel it is gd for a beginner like me haha :lol:

• SRC Member

did u mention u only have 3 piece of live rock?

get some more life rock , may be able to get it cheap from reefers who are leaving the hobby...

and patience, allow the tank to cycle , and dun add anymore live stock .

if u could , show us a pic of your tank and equipments. and if u have already added medications into your tank, suggest u scrub everything.. or change water

• SRC Member

Tetra test kits... Do a search in the forum to know which are the prefer brands. Its very important to know the correct readings in the tank.

Advices had been given by other reefers and I do not have anything big to add on for now. I second the addition of live rocks.(Another 20kg at least)

Do visit the members' tank area to have a better idea how fellow reefers set up their tank.

• SRC Member

do you have a spare smaller tank? if so get the remaining survival there and start your main tank all over again.

You will have to, cos you will need more more live rocks and even buying cured ones, the die off during transportation would create some ammonia spike.

Once you have done the transfer of live stock, dun do anything. focus on reading up on starting a marine tank, or come over here and we will be gladly to share info with you.

• SRC Member

hehez...guess i know which LFS izzit larx....the one at the hilltop... :D

im sure WAKAI wun nt do this..hehez...

anyway..a weipro 2011 is not suitable for a 6ft tank. u can try other bigger models.. :thanks:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Hi Jaslyn,

Hope you are better off now, after all the useful tips and pointers by fellow reefers.

I started the hard way with marine fish. I did not know where to get help then and learnt from my own mistakes. I gave up the hobby 3 times, only to come back again with new insights and ideas. It was not at all total losses. In the process I learnt and discovered many intriguing phenomena about marine life.

Now I have finally been able to settle down quite comfortably with two tanks. A fish only and live rocks tanks and am experimenting on a reef tank. Nonetheless, I am still learning and experimenting. My fish do die but at least I know why.

As fellow reefers had mentioned you would need a tank with a sump. That's how I finally succeeded in keeping my fishes alive and hearty for many years. My oldest fish is a clown fish for 4 years. It's still happy and bouncy. Of course, all those pointers you got are very important in ensuring that your fish are fine.

Attached is a diagramme of a "Tank with Sump" just to give you an idea of what it is like. There are many variations in design and construction and I am sure most LFS will be able to supply them with the necessary fixtures and pipings. You need not have it custom-made as they are much more expensive then the ready made ones. I am sure fellow reefers can give you additional advice on how to set it up.

Yes, there is one very important supplement you have not mentioned - that is, "Trace Element" which is also very important for marine fish.

Happy reefing.

Tank_with_sump.doc

• SRC Member

Thanks everyone.

I m actually thinking about to buy a 4 ft tank with sump system and start all over again.I m no longer sure of what is suitable and what is not suitable anymore. Can somebody recommend a LFS to me where I can buy a 4ft tank with sump system? Like you have mentioned,a custom made one can be expensive.

Thanks again.

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear about your plight.Many of the bros and sis here have mentioned most of the points of keeping a marine tank.Before you jump into getting a bigger tank, I would advise you to do more research and plan.All home aquariams are limited, so you have to decide what you want to achieve.As for LS, not all are compatible with each other.Bottomline is patience.

• SRC Member

Good to know that you are persevering!! ;)

My experience from this hobby is this:

1) Decide on what you want to keep. I.e FOWLR, Reef e.t.c.

2) Research, study and plan. Understand and learn what you are going to keep and how to be successful, if not 98% will fail. Don't anyhow "cheong". My first time, I cheong, end up failing too :cry: . But second try, I research and learn/study (until my mother tot I taking exams!! :lol: ) and also save $$$ for at least 3 months before I execute my plan.

3) Try to use the best, or at least, reputable equipments.

4) This hobby is concern, patience is the keyword.

Just sharing my experience!!

Wishing you all the success!!!! :D;)

• SRC Member

i think u still got alot of reading up to do.....

check out my new signatures!!!!!

but if u interested in keeping brown SPS.... u can come find me.... i am an expert in that field... no one can turn their SPS brown faster than me!!!

a delicate balance btwn nice brown colour and STN.... :P

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
Can somebody recommend a LFS to me where I can buy a 4ft tank with sump system?

check out our sponsers and go to the one nearest......they are all good and knowledaable people and will not kuto you like ohter LFS..... :D

• SRC Member

Bro dun give up :D if got some reefers just hammer you upside down,

I started this hobby a decade ago, not much sharing among reefers

and equipment ... suffer massive loss.

Unlike now.... keke so many kind reefers here to help you out

Different reefers give different view~~ best is that you read and search

for info youself on books or net

There are always many kind reefer who give you good advise or

simpley those who just hammer you #$#$#

You can make it

Cheers ;)

• SRC Member

Your failure is not doing sufficient research and reading before you buy. Butterfly and angel fishes are not meant for beginners and especially for a new tank start up. I suggest you do some reading in www.wetwebmedia.com, then you will get a better picture.

Always look for compatability among fish/coral/inverts and do some research on that particular livestovk before buying.

• SRC Member

I think the main reasons for your tank failure are ...

1) Way to less LR ... a 3ft tank should have at least 30-40 kg of cured LR to have a proper bio-filtration

2) Overstocked. As mentioned by other bros here .

3) Introduce ur fish slowly ... preferrably one fish at fortnightly (ie. once u added one new fish into the tank, wait for 2 weeks until everytime ,ammonia,no2,no3 all balance, then go for the next one )

anyway, keep up the spirit, dun be despair. we can help you to start all over again :D

p/s: you should rich to me ler... buy so many fish at one shot :P i wan to buy also dun hv money .. hehe.

>>

• SRC Member
After that,thinking we might have the wrong info regarding setting the tank.We approached another marine fish shop near lavender.The guy came over to help me set up the tank.He basically removed everything in the tank.He used only 1 inch of sand,changed my jebo 868 to Eheim 2215,he also attached something that he says would absorp oil on the surface of the water.After 3 days,he added in about 10 damsels but after a week,only 3 survived.Then he added in royal gamma,maroon clown,yellow goby,some more yellow tailed damsel.

Wah, which lfs is that? Can just dump in 10 damsels within 3 days and then when they die can add royal gramma, maroon clown, yellow goby and some more damsels! :angry:

REALLY open case of 'an irresponsible lfs'! :angry:

How can they just 'makan' a new reefer like that?

Anyway, as the bros here have mentioned, take it slow and gather more info. This forum's a GREAT place for doing just that! :)

All the best, Jaslyn! :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

haha yalo, that LFS really ridiculous ...

last time i just "plan" to add 2 fish at one time ... "plan" only ar.. oledi kena shoot by the bros & sis here. .keke ..

now i just wait patiently to stock new fish ... even tho sometime went to LFS hands very itchy .. hehe

>>

• SRC Member

Thanks everyone. Yeah,I m lousy cos I get disheartened after 2 failure.Not cos of the money spent for no reason,its the life that go wasted.I m definitely not one who like to see my fish die.And its definitely not cos I PAID for them.Everyone should respect life.

It was never my intention to overstock. The first setup by the LFS at Farmart.I left the damsel in for 2 weeks then I added the tangs.Bad move and still considered too fast but after the first week passed,I was already being told by the shop owner to add in a few more fish.....

The second setup,his idea was totally different as he threw in so many fishes and told me it speed up the water condition....who am i or what am i to argue even I know its not what I read from the book?

Now,here I m.writting here in this forum to accumulate advices from experienced reefer to help me get into right path.so be patience with me,ok?

• SRC Member
It was never my intention to overstock. The first setup by the LFS at Farmart.I left the damsel in for 2 weeks then I added the tangs.Bad move and still considered too fast but after the first week passed,I was already being told by the shop owner to add in a few more fish.....

The second setup,his idea was totally different as he threw in so many fishes and told me it speed up the water condition....who am i or what am i to argue even I know its not what I read from the book?

Not your fault Jaslyn, just VERY wrong advice given to you by the 2 lfs. :)

Now's a good time to proper advice from the rest of the bros and sis and this forum's a good place to start! :D

I've personally learnt alot from everyone here. All the best and remember to post any questions you have. :D

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

Yes Jaslyn, we are all here to help and guide you along the way

One quote I always stick to: Learn from other's mistakes, you can't live long enough to make them

Anyway, as with the other reefers have mentioned, its good to plan first before even go down to doing it. I had planned my tank for a year before the schematic diagram was drawn out. Its a long and boring process but its worth it.

During this time, you might also want to look up on other reefing sites and read articles from megazines to keep yourself updated with the current technology and methodologies available which might also prove helpful in your plans.

On planning, first do a basic design and keep working on it till you have found the most suitable and practical model. I changed my sump design from a 3 chamber to a 2 chamber refugium and then now to the racetrack design.

Fianlly, budgeting is very important as you will find that upgrading will hurt your wallet even more. Do with the best you can afford and try not to skimp on some important equipments while purchasing other miscellaneous gadgets.

There are many different setups and it is not a rule to follow other's designs and methods as most of the time they do not show the background work involved in maintainence. Read up, process the information and apply what you know into your ultimate design which you can better maintain.

So good luck and I hope this piece of advise is of some help to you :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

:lol: kekez all the 'pro' reefer :bow: all here to help u looklike u shouldn't be having much problem soon since everyone offering their help to u so lucky I start out without knowing SRC kekez but I was lucky that the shop i went to was one of the sponsor here lolz

I was very keen in keeping the pinatus batfish and they help me to set up my tank and up to now my batfish and the other fishes plus corals and stuffs is doing very well and especially is my batfish :lol: can feed by hand le and will play with me lolz :lol: So fun so I glad that u continue with this hobby as I am sure this is one very rewarding hobby with a sense of achievement lolz :peace:

All the best for your new tank :D