twice failed!where is the mistake?

Lots of advice given, so take your time to digest.

Do a bit a background reading and start off from zero again.

Looks like you have all the equipment, so there is no need to spend any more money soon. Save them for the live rocks and the livestock.

Remember to give your tank some time to cycle before adding any fish. Let your friends house your present fishes for a while.

You will need at least 3 to 4 weeks for your water to stabilise. Remember to test for NO4, NO3, etc, before adding any fish.

IMPORTANT RULE!! Don't medicate in your main tank. Copper is toxic and can remain in your sand and water for a long time. Set up a quarantine tank and play doctor there.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAV-65, yes crabs.I caught 7 crabs inside the rocks when I couldnt find out the reason why the smaller damsels disappeared.Even they die also shouldnt disappear.Until one day I saw something dragging my yellow goby inside the rock.I removed every pieces of rocks to start my crab search and caught 7 of them.

Sorry to disappoint you, there are probably another dozen still hidden within the rocks, maybe more... :(

Anyway, I'm bailing out of here... lots of giving their helping hand liao... and I too lazy to read the whole lengthy thread... :P

PM me if u need any more help... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

If you are still looking for a tank with sump, try going to Serangoon North Avenue 1. That's the place with lots of LFSs. I got mine there, but am not too sure whether they still have them. However, there is one outlet there that charges more than others.

Other reefers may be able to help you find what you look for. Perhaps, someone could offer you a used tank, etc at much lower price and even help you do the setting up as well. At least you know they don't do so for for pecuniary interest, but out of real concern for a fellow reefer. As Blueheaven had said, "Learn from others' mistakes". In fact, you can also learn from other's successful experiences.

It's also true that "too many cooks can spoil the broth". You are lucky! There are so many experts who are willing to help. Just approach one of them and I'm sure he's more than happy to assist if he has the time to.

Good luck!

• SRC Member

like to clarify a few things....

jaslyn.... char bor or tar paw???

we already have a jaslin who is a chio bu......

me now recruiting members of Sisterhood of the SRC..... and i am obviously the chairwoman of this sisterhood...

why u ask me need to specify gender.... got difference one...

if u tar paw.... u get nothing less but quality advise frm us all....

if u char bor.... u get nothing less but better quality advise from us all, alot of volunteers going to yr house to help u setup.... and of course the unavoidable buayas.....

then also hor..... think u gotta relook at yr setup...er.... think other ppl covered that already....

then hor.... then hor..... er..... alamak.... all the rest already cover..... :angry:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
Alamak. "Reefers" are gender neutral. :) Does it really matters whether a fellow reefer here needing some help and advice is male or female? I tink we are drifting off topic alreadi. :peace:

I AM DRIFTING OFF TOPIC....

juz wanna find out.... and forgot the PM feature at that moment.... can????

:huh:

Hey guys... dun :off: leh....:P

This was a pretty clean and informative thread....

Agree entirely :D

BACK TO THE TOPIC.....

Bro RAV4...concerning the crabs in the LRs, are they bad all the times?

Just wondering cos, I hv spotted a few crabs (kinda hairy and greyish colour about 1cm big) picking on dentritus esp.ly at nite. I guese the concern (if any) similar to that of Jaslyn's would be.....whether they would attack smaller fishes or pick on corals? Do they? :thanks:

Agree entirely :D

BACK TO THE TOPIC.....

Bro RAV4...concerning the crabs in the LRs, are they bad all the times?

Just wondering cos, I hv spotted a few crabs (kinda hairy and greyish colour about 1cm big) picking on dentritus esp.ly at nite. I guese the concern (if any) similar to that of Jaslyn's would be.....whether they would attack smaller fishes or pick on corals? Do they? :thanks:

Eh Bro,

Rav-65 leh... dun change nick for me leh... :D

I dun really have indepth knowledge of crabs, coz I've never really taken a fancy of them, but wat I know is that there's crabs who are harmless that eat algae and detritus, or acro crabs which co-exists with acros harmoniously without damaging the host.

There are also hairy crabs which attck polyps on SPS and also small fishes. There would be conflicting beliefs here as some reefers believe that only fishes that are weak or dying would be attacked by the crabs.

Personally, if I ever had an option, I would remove all crabs even if they feed on algae/detritus unless I can positively ID very crab, which can be painstaking and also inaccurate, so no point taking risk in my reef, coz I can never be sure which one is really safe 24/7... :P

As it is, there are a couple of crabs in my tank which I'm still trying to catch, but they seem to have turned too smart for the chicken bottle trick... :(

Hence, I have a long-nose hawkfish which I hope can help reed the tank of the small crabs as I try to catch the bigger ones... coz as they grow, it become easier to catch them... :evil:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Eh Bro,

Rav-65 leh... dun change nick for me leh... :D

I dun really have indepth knowledge of crabs, coz I've never really taken a fancy of them, but wat I know is that there's crabs who are harmless that eat algae and detritus, or acro crabs which co-exists with acros harmoniously without damaging the host.

There are also hairy crabs which attck polyps on SPS and also small fishes. There would be conflicting beliefs here as some reefers believe that only fishes that are weak or dying would be attacked by the crabs.

Personally, if I ever had an option, I would remove all crabs even if they feed on algae/detritus unless I can positively ID very crab, which can be painstaking and also inaccurate, so no point taking risk in my reef, coz I can never be sure which one is really safe 24/7... :P

As it is, there are a couple of crabs in my tank which I'm still trying to catch, but they seem to have turned too smart for the chicken bottle trick... :(

Hence, I have a long-nose hawkfish which I hope can help reed the tank of the small crabs as I try to catch the bigger ones... coz as they grow, it become easier to catch them... :evil:

Oops ! :paiseh: Must be thinking of changing to a RAV4... :D lol

:thanks: RAV-65 for the info on the crabs....perhaps I shld try to get rid of those in my tank as well before my yellow goby disappears in the same fashion mentioned by Jaslyn's earlier here. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

hi again,very funny when it became a whether I m a woman or man thread then the crab thread :D

Anyway, what was keeping me busy the past few days was:

please dont scold me if I m doing the wrong things..

I drew out 20% of the water from the exsisting tank...filled the water in,did some test...salinity 1.019,PH 8.2-8.4,KH9,NO2 0.....I m going to let the tank cycle as long as it needs....

the 4 fishes are doing very well in there.I cant add anymore LR as I already have 6 big one in there and my tank is only 5mm,dont think it can hold much more weights.I only plan to keep fish only....

I wont add anymore fish in at the moment,even in the future I also dont know what I can add in cos the fish are terror in there,especially the maroon clown there.She/he will chase the other 3 away during feeding.If I ever put in any other fish,it would be poor thing if it gets attack by the maroon.

so experience reefer,give me more advice on this once more.

Thanks

Raise your salinity to about 1.023 - 1.025

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all.

yesterday a family friend came over with 2 baby blue tang he bought.

We added into the tank and the baby were eating well.

This morning,I noticed that both baby blue tang is covered with white spots (icing sugar like coating) but still swimming very well.

What causes it?nd what can I do now?I have read about the garlic thing,where can I get them?

The other 4 exsisting fish in the tank are spotless so I really have no idea where the spots come from and what causes it.

Please help.

• SRC Member

remove the tang immediately from the display tank !

u can use garlic extract to treat them (ie. soak the food with garlic extract)

What cause ich ? most probably u r over-stocking ! how big is your tank now ? and it can be caused by bad water parameters / stress ... etc ..

visit http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21 and u can find tons of ich treatment threads there

>>

• SRC Member
Hi all.

yesterday a family friend came over with 2 baby blue tang he bought.

We added into the tank and the baby were eating well.

This morning,I noticed that both baby blue tang is covered with white spots (icing sugar like coating) but still swimming very well.

What causes it?nd what can I do now?I have read about the garlic thing,where can I get them?

The other 4 exsisting fish in the tank are spotless so I really have no idea where the spots come from and what causes it.

Please help.

ich.... and honey, believe me.... nothing is sweet about it......

not saying yr fish is itchy.... you can prob check out the dieased sub-forum.... bro sea-monkee started a very good thread regarding it....

tangs in general are ich magnets..... most prone to ich.....

garlic can be bought at any supermarket.... u can try to give it a home-made feel by grinding it yrself... and use the extracted juices... mix it with the food u feeding... and feed the tangs...

otherwise... u can go to any reputable LFS and buy Garlic Guard from them...

relatively affordable... but good results.....

;)

• SRC Member

I dont have a second tank to remove them.If I have to set up another tank,do I use the water from the old tank?

I did not overstock them for sure cos I only have 4 fish in my 3 ft tank and then this 2 came only yesterday from a friend.so Tiny,probably about 1 inch. The last time I did a water change,I left it there without touching it for more than 2 weeks at least.Water perimetre is as usual.salinity 1.021, PH8.2-8.4,KH is 9,NO2 is 0.

What can be stressing them cos we didnt disturb it since we put them in.the other fish in the tank didnt chase them either and last night they were eating well.Even until now,they are swimming well too.

I will be going to reborn to get the gralic extract when it opens.Soak it with the dry pellet i m giving them?What if they refused to eat?What other food garantee they will eat?

• SRC Member
remove the tang immediately from the display tank !

u can use garlic extract to treat them (ie. soak the food with garlic extract)

What cause ich ? most probably u r over-stocking ! how big is your tank now ? and it can be caused by bad water parameters / stress ... etc ..

visit http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21 and u can find tons of ich treatment threads there

you are making it sounds like its the end of the world..... :D

• SRC Member
I dont have a second tank to remove them.If I have to set up another tank,do I use the water from the old tank?

I did not overstock them for sure cos I only have 4 fish in my 3 ft tank and then this 2 came only yesterday from a friend.so Tiny,probably about 1 inch. The last time I did a water change,I left it there without touching it for more than 2 weeks at least.Water perimetre is as usual.salinity 1.021, PH8.2-8.4,KH is 9,NO2 is 0.

What can be stressing them cos we didnt disturb it since we put them in.the other fish in the tank didnt chase them either and last night they were eating well.Even until now,they are swimming well too.

I will be going to reborn to get the gralic extract when it opens.Soak it with the dry pellet i m giving them?What if they refused to eat?What other food garantee they will eat?

dun use old water..... use new water...... not newater... that one ur fish sure die....

no worries abt stress and overstock...

90% tangs come home with ich one...... so do not worry.... it can be said to be a norm...

other 10% fish can be found in coralfarm and marinelife......

but even these 90% fish.... still got like 10 more percent.... won't get ich.... cuz the owner... super kiasu.... invest alot in anti-ich warfare equipment.... UV filters.... qurantinee tanks designed to kill and stop ich.......

if u follow sea-monkee's thread.... he did say that ich can never be killed..... no matter how much effort u put in it..... all u can do is to minimise it..... or maybe i was too horny... i can't remember properly.... too busy fantasing with his avatar...... i like to spank monkeys... :P

dun soak yr dry food.... get frozen mysis or brine shrimp.... better....... or not u can try gut-loading live BBS.....

if i not wrong... formula pellets already got garlic in it already.....

• SRC Member

dun soak yr dry food.... get frozen mysis or brine shrimp.... better....... or not u can try gut-loading live BBS.....

eeerr...can I get the frozen mysis or brine shrimp from reborn also?what is BBS? sorry....yes,when I saw the white spots on the baby tangs,my brain half dead liao,thats why its like the end of the world to me.

Now waiting and waiting till reborn open...

I checked the nutrafin max that I m feeding.There isnt any garlic extract in there... does UV works?If yes,I really dont mind investing in one.