Clown Aquaculture Page

xpert1974

• 1 month later...

Today my false clown behave wiredly during feeding - not as active and the smaller clown seem missing. later found the fish guarding egg-like thing (oval in shape, look yellowish and white dot in the middle)

what do i do next (if it's eggs). do i siphone out the egg (when should i do it)....

try to capture pic of the egg but my lousy camera can only produce the below shots

post-57-1121352046.jpg

Take the whole rock out. Put a container into the tank and scoop out the rock...so that the eggs are always in water.

then in the new tank, transfer water from the main tank....put the rock in, add an air bubble tube to blow across the eggs so that they are waving gently as if the parents are there fanning and cleaning the eggs.

when the eggs turn from orange to brown then to silvery, be ready to see the fries.

you can get rotifer from pacific coo....for a start as food.

Good luck!

thanx for the info. however currently the rock has an anemone attach to it. Worry tt i may "injured' the anemone during rock transfer. Can i just siphone out the egg and place in another tank (1ft) with water from main tank.

• SRC Member
thanx for the info. however currently the rock has an anemone attach to it. Worry tt i may "injured' the anemone during rock transfer. Can i just siphone out the egg and place in another tank (1ft) with water from main tank.

try to calculate the time they hatch....

they will hatch usually 1 hr after lights off... use a torchlight, the newly hatched will be attracted to the light... then just scoop them out of the water ;)

The egg will hatch ard 7-8 days. Within two hrs after lights off.

My true percular have layed for the fifth time (Shld be hatching next tue). Sadly....non survive more than 2 day......... Have abt 5 L worth of rotifier now.

Wish u good luck on yr first spawn.

The egg will hatch ard 7-8 days. Within two hrs after lights off.

My true percular have layed for the fifth time (Shld be hatching next tue). Sadly....non survive more than 2 day.........  Have abt 5 L worth of rotifier now.

Wish u good luck on yr first spawn.

Instead of transfering the eggs to another tank. I'm thinking of transfering it to those floating fish hatchery container in day 6 (1 day buffer since the eggs going to hatch in day 7-8 as advise by Xpert1974 :thanks: ). I think the water parameter will be more stable than my 1ft standby tank.

Going to kinokuniya to get the Clownfishes bible by Joyce D. Wilkerson tomorrow.

Thanx to all for the precious advise. :bow::thanks::bow:

btw will the above method work? <_<

oopsh...just realise i've hijacked this thread. sorry marinebetta

bro marinebetta (or any other breeder)

any idea how to transfer the eggs. i've tried to siphone the eggs from the LR but the eggs stick too firmly. Not possible for me to transfer the LR as there is a huge anemone anchoring to it.... if let natural takes it course, i'm afraid the eggs will become supper for other tank-mates.

...i can see the eyes developing..today day 7.... :(

• SRC Member
bro marinebetta (or any other breeder)

any idea how to transfer the eggs. i've tried to siphone the eggs from the LR but the eggs stick too firmly. Not possible for me to transfer the LR as there is a huge anemone anchoring to it.... if let natural takes it course, i'm afraid the eggs will become supper for other tank-mates.

...i can see the eyes developing..today day 7.... :(

There's no way you can suck those eggs off. Even if you can detach them, the would probably quickly become non-viable. The only way is to move the rock out.

Eggs should hatch sometime now :o Only thing you can do is to try to attract them to one area of the tank and scoop them out with a cup or something. They don't do well with nets....

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

I have tried once without moving the rock. After all lights is off (Total darkest), switch off all your pump and power head (To prevent it from ###### your larve). The egg will hatch within 2 hr. Use a Strong touch light and shine at the side of the tank. You shld be able to se all the larve swimming. You a bowl and scope it up SLOWLY. Transfer it to your rearing tank.

Actually I still prefer this method than moving the rock.

thanx i've stop all pumps n lights off)....now waiting for my "harvest". :D ....hopefully whole process will not take too long cos tomorrow starting new job. :(

sorri no picture yet cos too ashame of the low quality picture taken by my lousy d. camera. Will take photo once i 've collected my S$5,000,000 TOTO top prize on Fri.... :P:D:lol:

• SRC Member
thanx i've stop all pumps n lights off)....now waiting for my "harvest". :D ....hopefully whole process will not take too long cos tomorrow starting new job. :(

sorri no picture yet cos too ashame of the low quality picture taken by my lousy d. camera. Will take photo once i 've collected my S$5,000,000 TOTO top prize on Fri.... :P:D:lol:

<_<

i got the winning ticket :P hmmm like that gotto split half half liao ...

can't sleep this morning...stop all pumps and waited for eggs to hatch - no luck....sleep...woke up at 3am but no sign of baby.... :(

BUT FINALLY this evening after lights off......the eggs have hatched :D:P ...place "My babies" in hatchery container and feed rotifer (ha ha finally my cultured rotifer can be use).....

lets hope some of the some cutie will survive.

Thanx marinebetta and xpert1974 for the valuable advise...your mtd works :kiss::kiss::kiss:

It seems you got a better luck than me. I have use the shift rock method on tue as I am not available on the night of hatching. All eggs gone and no sign of any larva swimming. Think I have to wait for the 6 th batch of eggs :)

BTW, if you need rotifier, can get it from me. I can give you 1 litre for FREE.

If you need more, I can trade 3 litre (Max) worth of rotifier (highly intensive) at only the price of one bottle of aquaz rotifier food which cost $10 (Mine is finishing).

I am not out to make $$ from you. (3 litre of rotifier is worth ard $60) I only want to cover my cost of rotifier food.

It seems you got a better luck than me.  I have use the shift rock method on tue as I am not available on the night of hatching.  All eggs gone and no sign of any larva swimming.  Think I have to wait for the 6 th batch of eggs :)

BTW, if you need rotifier, can get it from me.  I can give you 1 litre for FREE.

If you need more, I can trade 3 litre (Max) worth of rotifier (highly intensive) at only the price of one bottle of aquaz rotifier food which cost $10 (Mine is finishing).

I am not out to make $$ from you. (3 litre of rotifier is worth ard $60) I only want to cover my cost of rotifier food.

thanx for your offer but i've started my own culture...... why don't you post threads to sell, i'll be you middle-man...my service foc and can arrange pickup from you to the buyer... "3 liter of rotifers for $10" so cheap sure sell like hot cakes..juz buy me kopi :lol:

• SRC Member

hi!..i recently got a 2ft tank and is rather in setting up the tank to breed clowns...a few question i would like to ask if you would mind me

-Must it be a "clown & anemone" only tank?

-any specific rockscaping?

-what type of anemone and what type of clown is the easiest to breed?

-any specific temperature and water parameters?

-Requires sandbed?

-need to have seio/tunze?

• SRC Member
hi!..i recently got a 2ft tank and is rather in setting up the tank to breed clowns...a few question i would like to ask if you would mind me

-Must it be a "clown & anemone" only tank?

-any specific rockscaping?

-what type of anemone and what type of clown is the easiest to breed?

-any specific temperature and water parameters?

-Requires sandbed?

-need to have seio/tunze?

It would be best for u to acquire the same book that seafood bro bought, Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. it will tell u all about clownfish, selection , care , husbandary and breeding.