My girlfriend's tank

moron_clown

• SRC Member
An awesome multi-million dwelling!

Top-notch modern-living bro!

Really envy your GF's house + plasma + marine tank.

Btw, is the tank 3 feet high? And is your GF's dad an architect?

(I was fantasizing a 10 footer marine tank in that mansion!) lol

yes the tank is standing ant 3 feet plus.in case you are wondering,the venue is a condominium penthouse.plans for a bigger tank were made but not concieved due to the concerns of the floor load.they are in the interior design business but they cater mainly to coporate clients.

• SRC Member
get a good mh for that kind of depth lah....

try 2*250

Actually i planned to use triple 250 watts ,however as the tank was not of standard length,finding a standard mass produced lighting fixture was next to impossible.drilling the ceiling is a definite no go as her father specifically mentioned thatl exposed wires will be kept to a minimal to maintain the uncluttered look.

i believe that with careful planning of coral positions my lighting will be enough.hopefully my itchy fingers dont start buying up sps.

• SRC Member
can i know how much is the cost of making a beatiful reef aquarium like your?? who bulid it by the way?

hi,the tank was made by one of my my father in law's contractor.almost all the other stuff like salt,pipings,equiptments are all from aquamarin.they have the hands on expertise that only be achieved with years of experience and countless of marine tank set-ups.all the intricate plumbing were done by them and it is really money well spent.i can do everyting myself if it is my own tank,however if only the highest standards and good aftersales service is required then it is best to leave the job to the professionals.i can sleep well at night knowing that someone will be able to rectify any problems that i will encounter.

price wise,i dont think it will be nice to list out the prices item per item.total budget for the tank is around 10k iclusive of all equiptment plus the tank and everything.i should say that i still have enough to stock up the tank.

• SRC Member
Totally amazing!

I also wondered how much money have your girlfriend's dad spent into creating that tank??

Anyway a point to ask, is it too much rocks in the tank? seems like a lot to me. Will it restrict the flow in the tank?

my intentions were to fill the tank to the brim with corals,so to that i need alot of liverocks.most of the rocks are huge boulders,some as big as a whole fore arm.the tank will need to be able to make an impact.it has to wow guests and clients that come to visit.it is the first thing that guests will see when they step into the doorway and the first impression is the deepest impression.

i have seen homes with very sparsely stocked marine tanks which matched their minimalist or zen decor very well.but i am trying to make the tank as loud and as out of place as possible to create a distinct difference between the two habitats.the human and the fish :P ......

• SRC Member

hi,the tank was made by one of my my father in law's contractor.almost all the other stuff like salt,pipings,equiptments are all from aquamarin.they have the hands on expertise that only be achieved with years of experience and countless of marine tank set-ups.all the intricate plumbing were done by them and it is really money well spent.i can do everyting myself if it is my own tank,however if only the highest standards and good aftersales service is required then it is best to leave the job to the professionals.i can sleep well at night knowing that someone will be able to rectify any problems that i will encounter.

price wise,i dont think it will be nice to list out the prices item per item.total budget for the tank is around 10k iclusive of all equiptment plus the tank and everything.i should say that i still have enough to stock up the tank.

:shock::shock::shock:

• 3 years later...
  • SRC Member

Latest update!

The tank split at the seams. Seems like even a 15mm thick bottomed braced Long+Tall tank is a lurking danger. Better to go for 20mm or all round euro bracing. Anyway, tank maker has decided to replace the tank without charge.

Should heed the warning when i saw air bubbles in the silicon seams.

There's nothing like a whole day of mopping up 1,200litres of salt water for a wake up call. HAHA

Stay tuned for new tank pics, Should be coming up shortly.

new tank will be same dimensions but 20mm with all round euro bracing.

• SRC Member

very very very nice....i like your creative way of using 3 clip on MH for yr tank. Which means you have the option of switching off one or 2 of them during evening time.

one last thing, can you change yr avatar, i think its kinda turn off with that zombie lady there.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

really envy u. got gf with rich dad makes life easier staying in sillypore. 10k budget? dats like me 7 mths of hard sweaty work bro. 10k for her dad is peanuts. lol. btw, nice setup and looks like u know equipments well. will follow up on ur thread. good luck.

mayb u shld changing to hanging MH or t5 like e ones GO have to match e living room environment..

i tink its quite glaring in the living room with 3 mh shining in one corner..

also better tidy up e sump area..

e granite flooring can only take a certain limit of water seeping thru b4 lines form..

expecially sea water....

its best to consider when setting up e tank to go bare bottom or sand bed...

else kinda of heavy load of sand bags for ur calibre of tank size..

• SRC Member
very very very nice....i like your creative way of using 3 clip on MH for yr tank. Which means you have the option of switching off one or 2 of them during evening time.

one last thing, can you change yr avatar, i think its kinda turn off with that zombie lady there.

Sadly, the MH will come off to minimise the clutter. New setup will utillise T5s instead, they run cooler, are easier to hide and cut the chiller some slack.

As for the avatar....HAHA been with me for 6 years already. Crazy ###### zombie Bi**ch.

• SRC Member
really envy u. got gf with rich dad makes life easier staying in sillypore. 10k budget? dats like me 7 mths of hard sweaty work bro. 10k for her dad is peanuts. lol. btw, nice setup and looks like u know equipments well. will follow up on ur thread. good luck.

Hi, i think a $10k budget is already on the low side for a tank this size. almost 30% of the budget went into the tank , sump and plumbing. The rest of the equipment are low-mid end. I choose the equipments base on effieciency:cost ratio. I dont buy equipments for brand or how they look. It must be functional and reasonably priced. I try to support local companies for their competitive pricing and quality product+local support and warranty.

$10k is around the price of a Mid end sound system + TV. I think a good reef tank provides just as or even more entertainment.

Happy reefing!

• SRC Member
mayb u shld changing to hanging MH or t5 like e ones GO have to match e living room environment..

i tink its quite glaring in the living room with 3 mh shining in one corner..

also better tidy up e sump area..

e granite flooring can only take a certain limit of water seeping thru b4 lines form..

expecially sea water....

its best to consider when setting up e tank to go bare bottom or sand bed...

else kinda of heavy load of sand bags for ur calibre of tank size..

I chose the lights initially because of the odd length of the tank which meant a commercially avail unit will be too long or short. These lamps are really poorly manufactured anyway and i dont reccomend anyone to buy them. Blew 2 ballasts and 4 bulbs in 3 years. the hinge also broke on one. now left with one working lamp. Will go for T5s next.

Cabinet in the backroom had been torn down to make way for a dedicated circuit board and more space for maintenance.

Yup u are right about the granite issue,have to ensure minimal splashes. Best Flooring to hold a marine tank will be bare compacted concrete plus industrial epoxy coating. Bright Blue flooring anyone? :eyebrow: