New Project, lets have a nano competition!

hobbes

• SRC Member

Elimmel, I decided to set up a 3ft instead. Still planning but got most of the stuff already. I did not register at nanoreef.

Let's 1st decide on the water volume. Then we can go out and recce the lfs on what is the nicest tankset available. Maybe find the distributor eg Jebo or JBJ or whatever there is selling at the lfs.

From there, we could split into 2 category-Stock or Open.

Stock-For those who have a tight budget, can take part in this category. This will keep spending on equipment down to the minimum.

Open-This category has no limit. Participant can purchase and install multiple items like Ice Probe, mh light or anything else that can be used to operate the tankset more efficiently.

Established reefer ( those who already had a system running ) are at an advantage in this competition. They would save money on corals as they already has a supply from their main tank. However, aquascaping aesthetic is where the difference between them lies. Sure it is easy to put corals together ( just a figure of speech ) but to actually see something that is pleasing with the 'wow' factor is the main target of this competition.

We can have a yearly competition here in SG and SRC may be the platform where the nano hobby may leap off from. If countries like Japan that came out with the Zen concept, Dutch with their Dutch Aquascaping in planted tank, why not Singapore which is essentially a small island be famous with the Nano concept reefing? We can create a buzz in this little island of ours and touch many hobbyist around the world! :idea:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

that is a cute tank.. but theres alot of tricks to that tank :)

ok, basically.. i think startin from zero is a must, becos whats the point of startin anyways if most of us already have nanos.. beside this is a nano thread!

I know budget may be the bugging issue for alot of us, so might i suggest... we work on NANO-SYSTEM below 6.5gallon.

The tank cost is going to be cheap, unless ur going to DIY one urself..

equipment for such small system like lights should not cost a bomb, but please do suit urself if u wanan use MH, cos it'll be really interested and challenging too.

go search nanoreef, and RC, theres quite alot of 5.5 nanos and some 6.

I'm sure it'll b fun to work with them.

so 6.5g.. what do u think?

• SRC Member
I need sometime to see how it can all work out... sorry guys... I'm swamped with work at the moment but I like what I see here... you have my support! :)

The man has spoken. Hope is out there! :D

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Wah Pianz;

Quite a hot topic, but seems like long time already....

1. Organising committee formed? Nope I guess...

2. Rules? Still tok co*k and singing song...

3. Score procedure...

But really, this thread is only less than a week old. We need a leader...

But I want to join as a contestant not committee members. Sign....

But the rest is of SRC members are working ppl so it does make sense if committee comes from LFS or moderator.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

naxo's tank! thats my favourite man. it inspired me to do my 1.5 cube. shiok shiok

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2004/aquarium.htm

i don't think we need a committee....maybe if the moderators and at can consent to be our judges.

let me think a little more and i will post here tonight.

• SRC Member

hi all,

i was just reading through the thread again, and its quite obvious that this competition will not come to fruition without the intervention of a moderator or at.

i will pm them and ask for their assistance.

i will ask if they can put a sticky in the main forum, so more of us are aware of this....sort of like a new catergory where competitors can post updates and other stuff.

if we want to get a sizeable group, we have to be more patient. let it build up momentum, or burn out on its own. no point having hobbes and me compete with just each other..... :P

also, i don't think that we can bank on anyone sponsoring us.....sad but true....most probably we will have to come up with the stuff ourselves.

in the mean time, how about we set some boundaries? the easiest and best way to start this competition is to set as few rules as possible. in fact, i suggest that the only limit be the size of one's tank. everything else, whatever floats your boat.

so here goes (feel free to edit ok?)

1) size of tank under 10 gals, any shape

2) any equipment you can afford or already have

3) any livestock suitable to nano life

as for prizes for the winners, my gut feeling is that we should not use money as a reward, like i have mentioned before. but i do expect the winner to get more exposure, if its agreeable to at and the moderators. of course im not complaining if bio ocean sponsors some fancy equipments.....hehehe

i can sponsor a tub of haagen daz :pinch: ......rum raisin....winner come and pick it up from my home anytime, and have a cold one on the house as well. B)

no need to set grading criteria....whatever the judges say, counts. if im not wrong, nanos always require pruning due to the lack of space. health and aesthetics are more important, i think. we can trust the moderators and at to be professional, discerning and impartial (provided they agree to judge)

• SRC Member
Wah Pianz;

Quite a hot topic, but seems like long time already....

1. Organising committee formed? Nope I guess...

2. Rules? Still tok co*k and singing song...

3. Score procedure...

But really, this thread is only less than a week old. We need a leader...

But I want to join as a contestant not committee members. Sign....

But the rest is of SRC members are working ppl so it does make sense if committee comes from LFS or moderator.

Relax lah bro, still discussing. Not like the competition going to start next month. We need more member awareness and to vote what size of tank.

I forsee a problem regarding picture taking. Who is going to take a pic if the owner does not own a digital camera?

• SRC Member

Relax lah bro, still discussing. Not like the competition going to start next month. We need more member awareness and to vote what size of tank.

I forsee a problem regarding picture taking. Who is going to take a pic if the owner does not own a digital camera?

Yo all;

Overly enthusiastic is my name. :D

Most member I believe took care of their reef more than any other things in the house I believe. :lol:

Just need another reason to set up a new tank... :evil: Then my wife will complain too much

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

My ideas for typical scoring system

Scoring Criteria (Credit for those who volume is the lowest)

A. Water Volume Size (including sump and refugium)

1. < 5 g - 20 points

2. 6-10g - 15 points

3. 11-15g - 10 points

4. > 20g - 5 points

B. Equipment Setup Cost (Proof of purchased req) (Credit to those who keep the cost low)

1. < $100 - 20 points

2. $101 - $300 - 15 points

3. $301 - $500 - 10 points

4. > $500 - 5 points

C. Coral Variety (credit for those who can keep have more species co-exist)

1. > 20 species - 20 points

2. 16 - 20 speies - 15 points

3. 10 - 15 species - 10 points

4. < 10 species - 5 points

D. Coral Coloration (Credit for multiple corals coloration)

1. > 20 shades - 20 points

2. 16 - 20 shades - 15 points

3. 11 - 15 shades - 10 points

4. 5 - 10 shade - 5 points

5. < 5 - 0 points

E. Water quality Category (Credit for water quality achievement)

NO3

1. 0-5ppm - 20 points

2. 5 - 20ppm - 15 points

3. 21 - 30ppm - 10 points

4. 31 - 40ppm - 5 points

5. > 41ppm - 0 points

Please add more

• SRC Member

Ok, THOSE WHO R INTERESTED AND HAVE ITCHY HANDS TO START A NEW NANO...

First, we need people who wants to do it.. just 3-4 is good enuff.

-

TANK SIZE, below 5.5 US Gallon, maybe the SAME tank if those ppl who r participating can agree on one.

-EQUIPMENT, there is no restrictions. Put in a skimmer, CR, Chiller, MH anything goes.

-UPDATES, pictures will be uploaded here. Will start a thread..

Those ppl who are interested please PM me asap. If we have 3-4 more, we can go ahead with it and maybe start early. PM PM PM!!

We shall name this operation.... "nano fest 1"

• SRC Member

I~Aquatic would like to sponsor 3 Nano acrylic tanks as prizes.

:whistle Thats if it is ok with you guys :huh:

1st place

12" x 12" x 12" : 7.5 gallons

Worth: $100.00

2nd place

10" x 12" x 12" : 6 gallons

Worth: $90.00

3rd place

10" x 10" x 10" : 4 gallons

Worth: $60.00

Do let me know by either calling me (9688 3229) or emailing me at ian@iaquatic.com

Cheers!

Ian

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
I~Aquatic would like to sponsor 3 Nano acrylic tanks as prizes.

:whistle Thats if it is ok with you guys :huh:

1st place

12" x 12" x 12" : 7.5 gallons

2nd place

10" x 12" x 12" : 6 gallons

3rd place

10" x 10" x 10" : 4 gallons

Do let me know by either calling me (9688 3229) or emailing me at ian@iaquatic.com

Cheers!

Ian

Cheers to our sponsor.

How about discount for equipment of the participant? :D

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.