1. 1. Which method works for you?

• Hypo
    • Reef Safe medication
    • Copper based medication
    • Fresh water dip
    • Others
    • Let them fight it out...

• SRC Member

To find out the most used and successful method..

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Freshwater dip = 0 success

reef-safe medication = 0 success

Copper and hypo works for me.

Treatment for ich has to start as early as possible once the sympton on ich shows. The earlier you start the better the chances for your fishes.

The ich parasite is also another type of inverts so if those reef safe medication that claims to be able to kill the parasites but safe for the rest? Do you believe it?

• Like 1

i vote for hypo .

for mi i only believe in copper and hypo treatment for ich

hwever copper is difficult as need to buy copper test kit and monitor the concentration regularly i think . and rock absorb copper too, so no chance for coral next time if dose copper n the tank .

qurantine tank maybe different , however i read from liveaquria that some angels are intolerant to copper like pigmy flame and golden.

:peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Since tangs are most ich prone, do you guys do hypo immediately after purchased. Seems like tangs is 100% ich infested for me...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Okay, I seem to be the odd one out here but I go for freshwater dips.

The concept of hypo and freshwater dips are the same, only the freshwater dip is more stressful and has a high risk of stressing the fish to death. However, it is much much easier to do than hypo

Here's the reason why freshwater dips are good -

Because of Osmosis, the freshwater would flow into the ich parasite's cell body, making it's membrane burst, killing the parasite.

Note that this method must be done everyday for 3-5 days for no more than 5mins.

Yup, thats my side of the story.

Even with hyposalinity treatment, the trophont is not affected by the hyposalinity condition, this is because it is buried deep into the skin of the fish and protected by the slime layer.

Hyposalinty affects the tomont and cause them to burst hence breaking the cycle of the parasite. That is why for hypo treatment on a QT, min of 2 weeks is required which is 2 cycles for the trophont stage. This will ensure that no more trophont on the fish before you transfer the fish to another QT where you slowly raise the SG.

• SRC Member
I got to go for copper remedy.

How do you add the copper treated fish back to the reef tank? Any media to remove copper based medication? i hear copper hurts the fishes in some ways but dun know how, you know?

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

frm wat i understand copper harms inverts n with recommended dosage wont harm fishes...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• Sponsor

Well, i still think that Copper is toxic to All organisms when overdosed, the problem is the lack of a proper test kit for checking....commercially available copper medications are often the chelated form that reduces the effectiveness and tend to require higher doses for any effect. Some authorities claim that rocks and sand retain and leach copper with time. Fishes like Tangs and boxfishes suffer from ectoparasites because of their lack of scales.....abit tiny ones maybe....this can be a big problem in a reef tank since any dosage of copper is deadly....come to think of it, the reason why some folks use RO water because of the copper pipes bringing in our water source. :o

I advocate the use of biological controls like cleaner shrimps, not wrasses that perish....though skunks tend to "choose" their servicing clients and sometimes end up a glutton on the fish food instead of doing their job as their name prescribes. Personally, I think the UV steriliser is the best invention yet that cleans and kills parasites fast. Minimum 11W or more as the contact period and closeness of glass to water circulated affects the performance. 24 /7 will work well. ....I also do freshwater dips, a past report by Martin Moe claims 90% removal of skin parasites but some recent research has found that questionable...however, it works for me, the fish actually feels more relaxed and the kidneys work less to excrete the salt. Forgot to collect a fish once after 20 mins of dipping but hey, still fine after the incidental discovery.

New drugs are developed that uses a decoy to get the parasite hooked on to a synthetic "bait"....trying out a new medication called stop ick that contains stuff to do just that....tough to evaluate effectiveness since only some fishes got hit while others appeared fine...immunity perhaps? They should develop that just like chicken pox....not sure though....just my 2 cents...

A freshwater bath will work better than a freshwater dip. Performed it on a maroon clown before. Think I left it in aged freshwater for 10-15 minutes. Remember to adjust the pH of the freshwater similar to that of seawater though.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Suprise that to see reef safe medication works for some people.... I thought it was the most condemned cure in SRC.

Wonder who voted for that, yet no one mention anything abt reef safe medication in this thread.

Maybe 5 LFS voted so that there will still be people buy reef safe medication. Hypo and fresh water dip is almost costless.. :huh: Speculation...

Those voted Reef safe care to comment?

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using "Waterlife - Myxazin" for white spots. mine is just fish and LR. It works initially, together with food + garlic, but seems after a few times..the fish are already immune to it.. =(

haiz..it seems that i always got white spots in my fish for no reason..and i perform water change every week..thought im already the hardworking one already..last time when i was in hall, kept 3 clowns in a 1 feet tank with coral chips and simple filter, and my 3 clowns are so happy and at least survived for > 1 year..now it seems like with bigger tank (3 feet), with skimmer, with filter, with Live rock, itch and everything keeps coming in..i think i shd just keep fish without live rock!! Keeping everything simple..

but still..1 clownfish dying now..so stressed to come home.. :cry2:

• SRC Member

Seems like only got 25 reefers experience ich..

• Like 1

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Can anyone here tell me the steps for the freshwater dip....i think it's important that i should know..pls tell thanks...

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L