hi all experts here

wana consult u guys

i changing to my 4 feet tank soon

buyt my current tank infested with itch

wat should i do now, i going to remove my shrimps first

as in i keen for copper treatment

i going to transfer all my live rocks to my new tank for cycling

however i noe copper treatment nids 2-3 wks rite

so can my fishes survive 3 weeks without any live rocks?

cos i haf no biological system onli live rocks for denitrifying bacteria

also how to use copper treatment

where to buy etc? did a search but no real instructions

pls advise!!

tks

• 3 months later...
bro tichan is the medication reef safe ? and can share whish lfs u got the product from ?

thanks

hi.... think you can get it in most LFS.... dun need to be marine LFS. actually it did not state if it's suitable for reef usage at all... was just trying my luck as it was a brought over from my FW days. luckily no adverse effect. brand is NIKA. should be selling for a few dollars only. comes in a white dripper bottle with blue cap. Think the brand also maufactures Transmore, a fish sedative.

• SRC Member

hi.... think you can get it in most LFS.... dun need to be marine LFS. actually it did not state if it's suitable for reef usage at all... was just trying my luck as it was a brought over from my FW days. luckily no adverse effect. brand is NIKA. should be selling for a few dollars only. comes in a white dripper bottle with blue cap. Think the brand also maufactures Transmore, a fish sedative.

oh haha.. rite .. but it works .. i will juz give it a try sometime soon :)

• SRC Member

bro tjchan,

you sure about that? i have always thought that although both FW and marine at called ich....they are a totally different kind of parasites all together.....as such mechication for FW ich might not work for SW ich. Could UV and good health of the fish be the main reason for the recovery??? NIKA might have already been neutrize by other stuff in your tank (eg. Carbon)...

Clowny Lover, Hypo is a method where the tank Sal is drop to 14ppt. Its not a product to be purchase, but a method of QT'ing fishes...i think there is some thread in SRC by Weilong regarding this....;)

• SRC Member

Both UV and freshwater dips worked for my ich-infested fishes a few weeks ago.

What I did:

Freshwater Dip:

- Prepare dip using distilled water (at least 1.5L bottle, I usually use 2x1.5L bottles). And prepare another dip with some saltwater from tank.

- Buffer distilled water up to 8.2 ph using baking soda.

- Make sure distilled water temp is same as tank water temp (or slightly higher under worse case).

- Add Methylene Blue (2 drops per litre of distilled water). Methylene Blue can be purchased from any LFS.

- Add air-stone for circulation for 15mins.

- Net out ich-infested fish and put into dip. Maintain air-stone circulation.

- Nudge the fish if it appears sluggish or not moving. This is normal. If it keeps panicking or appears clearly stressed, net it out.

- I usually dip for minimum 1 min and maximum 4 mins.

- After dipping, dip fish in saltwater dip (to remove methylene blue) for a few seconds before returning it to tank.

UV:

- I switch on my UV for 24/7 for a week after above dip treatment.

After both treatments above, my fishes recovered and feeding well. I know that freshwater dips are NOT for every fish so try it at your own risk.

Hope this helps for some of you... Cheers.

bro tjchan,

you sure about that? i have always thought that although both FW and marine at called ich....they are a totally different kind of parasites all together.....as such mechication for FW ich might not work for SW ich. Could UV and good health of the fish be the main reason for the recovery??? NIKA might have already been neutrize by other stuff in your tank (eg. Carbon)...

Clowny Lover, Hypo is a method where the tank Sal is drop to 14ppt. Its not a product to be purchase, but a method of QT'ing fishes...i think there is some thread in SRC by Weilong regarding this....;)

i think my medicine is the so called "Methylene Blue" as mentioned in the above hype treatment.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to report my results. 5 day course treatment with Water Life Research Myzaxin (my trusted brand for my Freshwater).

4 ft FOWLR started for 1 month

Some help from 2 Cleaner Shrimps

Ich gone on my tangs

No effect on Copperband Butterfly

Remember to remove carbon/charcoal filter. But protein skimmer trapped a lot of blue liquid (wonder if that made the medication less effective)

Now I'm hoping the Copperband Butterfly will fight the ich out by feeding it live brine shrimp.

• SRC Member

copper medications definitely will work. but copper poisoning cannot be detected, and usually overdose results in almost instant death.

however, even a small dose means slow death. there's a reason why copper medications are not recommended. and its not because the overdose can kill in an aquarium, but because a small amount is enough to cause poisoning.

all in all, prevention is still the best.