How many of you use chillers for your reef tanks?

Achilles Tang

546 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you use chillers for your reef tanks?

• Yes, I use a chiller and I see the benefits of it.
    • Yes, I use a chiller but I don't see any benefits of it.
    • No, I don't have a chiller and my tank is suffering.
    • No, I don't have a chiller and my tank is still ok (i think!).
    • No, I don't have a chiller but I use fans as a substitute.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can build it upon the car filter conception.

cold air induction, pulling cold air from else where, n

exhaust out to another section of the area. but impossible.

but need some research on the material use.

hi all,

my chiller resun CL450 seem to be veri sensitive to tthe temp, it always start to work when the temp is up, thus in 1 day, it can go up to abt 20 times, stop when it reach the desire temp n den start when the temp is up..wouuld the component inside the chiller go crazy when it hv to auto on n off ?? any1 encounter like this ?

resun chillers are like that....they come on regularly.. and loudly.....but will quickly go off as ...

something to do with the thermostat...hmmm.... <_<

I have been using the Cl 650 for a year liao...so far no prob though a little undersized for my tank...hope it will last till April....when I upgrade chiller...keeping fingers crossed

I have been using the Cl 650 for a year liao...so far no prob though a little undersized for my tank...hope it will last till April....when I upgrade chiller...keeping fingers crossed

Is the 650 noisy??? thought of getting one instead of Atman and Hailea.

• 3 months later...
  • Sponsor

:off:u people talking about RESUN Chiller... :lol:

Hi...

The NEW BATCH Resun Chiller CL650 & CL450 have improved and upgrade on the fan/parts and now running VERY silent.

They have upgrade and improved after so many complained and feedback from the customer all over the world on the noise machine.

Sure you can :snore: in peace :peace:

Octopus BAY

• SRC Member

Hi,i just bought a resun cl450 dont know whether old or new patch but can see the manifature date is dec2003 on the warranty card. But the noise come out from the chiller like hair dryer and kick off every 20min and off after 5min chilling with my temp set at 27degree.

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• Sponsor
Hi,i just bought a resun cl450 dont know whether old or new patch but can see  the manifature date is dec2003 on the warranty card. But the noise come out from the chiller like hair dryer and kick off every 20min and off after 5min chilling with my temp set at 27degree.

usually we test before sales and tell customer the different between OLD and NEW resun chiller and how to take care of this chiller.

:off: again....

Octopus BAY

• SRC Member

Hi brothers,

Yah, total agreed. Chiller is a must for any marine tank. Have been using a office water cooler about a month to chill my 3x2x2 ft. main tank with 30x20x18 inches sump tank (with 24W 2ft T5 for the plant), 2 x 39W t5 and 250W 10K BLV MH. Keeping normal coral like hammer, bubble, sea fan, some soft coft, pulse coral, candy coral plus 20 fishes. Of course, with some modification done on the cooler, `cham see tong' saving enough $ to buy a better chiller. Temp. around 27.8 with all lights on during a hot & sunny afternoon and 27.1 during sun set. Anyway, the cooler is free. Of course, there are no cut in or out, is almost running 24 hrs dairly. Nosie level very acceptable, even less nosiy than a 4'' A/C fan. No pump used, drawing water from the overflow chamber and down direct to the sump tank with slow water flow rate. 150w goldstar compressor, electrical bill extra $16.00 for a month. Just hope that it might not breakdown before having enough $$ for the new chiller. All living creatures look fine so far (see picture).

post-7-1083348533.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member
seriously... do u guys on e chiller 24/7? i was tinking lyk, on it durning the day...den b4 u sleep...off it...or sth...

Leaving it on doesn't mean that the chiller is 'running' 24/7. It will kick in when the set parametres are exceeded. some within 1degree, others 2 or more.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
Wow.. how we wish we have a choice of not having the need to use a chiller for our reef tank maybe unless we are staying in the winter cuntry..

then maybe we will need a heater instead,, :eyeblur:

Well for a start..we can do with some high grade LED lightings...ESPECIALLY for nanos. You guys are neglecting us. Please develope something suitable for 18" and below tank :thanks::eyebrow: