H&S Sulphur/Nitrate Filter 110-F1000

Melvyn Tan

• SRC Member

Since the input is T-off from another pump, do you guys think the output can be input to a CR??? :huh:

Tot of this as to reduce the number of T-offs. An since within the Sulphur Denitrator chamber also need another layer of CR media act as buffer so this idea arise :lol:

• SRC Member

I dont think so, if can be done, Bro MT would have T off to his CR :P

I think I read some where that the sulphate by pdt will form a layer of coating on the CR media and makes it more diff for the acid to "burn" the media, resulting in reduce effiecient of the CR.One evidence is that the CR media will turn yellow in colour.

• SRC Member

But the by the time the water flow back it should have been absorbed by the CR media from the Denitrator chamber. If not won't it be bad if it goes straight back to the tank

• SRC Member

I my opinion, whether you feed directly into the CR or via a reservoir, it should be the same. A closer look in the arrangement of the filtration system (sump) designed will reveal the rationale.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Cheap things can't really be good (for certain things) and good things don't come cheap unless you get at good price - purely my opinion. But there are some things that are priced high but isn't any good.

My CR media nor the coral sand above the sulphur does not turn yellow.

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi Melvyn,

My H&S Sulphur/Nitrate Filter output is dripped into a pvc pipe with

carbon. 1 week ago, i noticed that the water in the pvc pipe start to

turn cloudly. I had run the eq coming to 3 mnths already.

do you experience the same thing? is this norm?

juz wanna check with fellow reefer if this is the norm before asking SL.

TIA. :D

• SRC Member

Turning cloudy is a good thing, it indicates the acidicity of the effluent "burning" the coral chips (or whatever calcium media that you place above the suphur beads) thereby causing the final effluent exiting the sulphur unit one that has calcium ions and high in dkh.

Do check that there is no chokage in your exit tube. This cloudiness indicates that you are ready to have greater flow (the effluent drip) as overall sulphur-based denitrification by the T. denitrificans are efficient. Thus, faster cleansing of the nitrates in your tank.

If it is cloudy in the pvc pipe, the water above the sulphur unit should also be cloudy.

I pass the effluent through a secondary chamber of coral ships and carbon below before discharging.

Cheers.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

off topic.. a while.

H&S skimmer is really solid my nitrate is zero without any nutrient export such as algae or denitrator....

Melvin and Tangs thanks for the recommendation although i kiausu abit get the 1500 litre model

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

bros, u'er checking how the water get INTO the denitrator right.

the pump comes with it.

But if u r asking how water get OUT of the denitrator, its very simple,

there's a tube outlet with a tap device to control the drip.

• SRC Member
off topic.. a while.

H&S skimmer is really solid my nitrate is zero without any nutrient export such as algae or denitrator....

Melvin and Tangs thanks for the recommendation although i kiausu abit get the 1500 litre model

No problem lah, believe you made the right choice yourself...think Tangs will agree too...

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

The good thing about this design is that - when placed in the sump, it draws the sump water directly from below where the pump is located, thus it do away with the need for a dosing pump.

Even when used outsump, you can fix the piping works to draw water from the sump into the unit.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Hi bros,

are you using a single direction valve at the output to prevent the water

in the denitrator from flowing back to sump when there is a power trip?

but in the first place, does it matters if the water in the denitrator flow back into the

sump (via the pump)???

cheers

• SRC Member

No problem lah, believe you made the right choice yourself...think Tangs will agree too...

Definitely .. bro zorden made the right choice himself.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
Hi bros,

are you using a single direction valve at the output to prevent the water

in the denitrator from flowing back to sump when there is a power trip?

but in the first place, does it matters if the water in the denitrator flow back into the

sump (via the pump)???

cheers

There isn't a check valve at the outlet hose but instead a micro ball valve, comes with the unit, which allows you to regulate water flow back to the sump.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

The top control valve, controls the drip/flow rate of the effluent. It will be good to install a one-way check valve to prevent backflow in instance of power failure, where this will cause the release of water in the containment to the sump (if used in-sump).

This water being released to the sump should be ok, but the empty containment with the bacteria may die off causing sudden spike.

Hope it helps.

4x2x2 Tank Thread