How to save petrol?

kokhui

• SRC Member

Before you drive the car..take out the petrol and keep aside......srry just a joke..dun mind if lame,,,

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member

Someone suggest to put as little things in the boot as possible. Some people can really put a lot of things in the boot! My sis always put her golf bags, shoes, and lots of things in the boot. Like a mini storeroom.

Wonder if anyone also keeps their boot as their second storeroom?

• SRC Member

1) accelerate as youre descending down slopes, as gravity and inertia aids pick up.

2) Free roll when youre able to, by engagin neutral, for example when you see the traffic light at red ahead.

3) go light on the trottle. having your foot down at 3000rpm consumes far more petrol than if you keep it below 2000rpm. 2500rpm is a good in between for decent pick up, lest you have other drivers honking at you.

4) as bro kokhui mentioned, minimise the vehicle's payload.

• SRC Member
2) Free roll when youre able to, by engagin neutral, for example when you see the traffic light at red ahead

Ian, can one enage neutral for auto gear car too? I heard from someone that auto car no need to go neutral as doing that may result in more mechanical faults in the gear, applicable for manual cars though.

• SRC Member

Ian, can one enage neutral for auto gear car too? I heard from someone that auto car no need to go neutral as doing that may result in more mechanical faults in the gear, applicable for manual cars though.

Yes you can for auto car but not advisable. Think of wear and tear of the gear box.... to change to a new gear box is a few k... not worth the pennies save

• SRC Member
off aircon helps but switching to neutral burns more fuel instead if i am not wrong as the computer chip in the engine will actually pump more fuel into the engine as it cannot gauge the correct amt if u free-wheel....

Yes, pls dont switch to N as modern car nowadays have been program such that if u leave yr gear engage and lift the acclerator off, petrol supply will be cut off. If u leave in N, petrol will still be pump in engine.

• SRC Member

if you drive an SUV or something that has 4 wheel drive, please do not engage neutral when the car is in motion as that will put the drive chassis's differentials off alignment. for general auto cars, its alright i think.

turning off the aircon helps alot too.

• SRC Member

turning off aircon save u about 10percent on milage... according to some reports... and the higher speed u drive the more air drag thus u burn more fuel.... so i think optimum is 60km/h according to my physics txtbk... hahah.... ganna honk until siao on expressway... if u do that unless u stick to left lane.... plan ur route lahz... dun stop and start at turns and traffic light so freq... coz its burns 6x more fuel to accelerate ur car to ur desired speed than to travel at constant speed

• SRC Member
turning off aircon save u about 10percent on milage... according to some reports... and the higher speed u drive the more air drag thus u burn more fuel....

that's if u open the windows... u can off air/con and keep the windows closed... no addition air drag + save on fuel...

probably won't last very long in there though.. hehe

Best way to get around this is to get a fuel efficient car, e.g. those with vvti engines. Then you dun really have to think so much about route, air-con etc.

But I do agree with keeping rev low, between 2000 to 2500rpm. I achieved about 13.5km/l as compared with 12km/l on my Dad's Wish by driving below 100km/hr on expressways (My rpm for > 100km exceeds 2300rpm).

• SRC Member

air drags occur at any speed... and its proportional to ur speed to the power of 2 thus.... the faster u drive the more drag.... switching on the aircon waste about 13% of milage and opening the windows only amount ot increase in 3% in drag thus u save 10% on milage if u open window n off aircon....

• SRC Member

1)Always keep to the speed limit and try not to always 'cheong' when challenged by other motorist.

2)Don't use the car during weekends to shopping or movies.Take public transport.

3)Reduce distance to and from work.(change job or move house)