RAV-65

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

im upgrading from pokemon card game..so childish for me already..

anyone here plays that..got super rare cards worth hundreds....

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member

haha, MTG, also touched it about 10 years ago

RAV-65, u might wanna take a look at the following websites for more ideas on what it is:

http://www.wizards.com/

This is the offical website of the company that produces the game

http://www.sgmagic.com/

Local forum setup for the game

Interesting fact about competitive MTG, theres actually professionals playing these games, and they can win up to tens of thousands in international tournaments.

There's also offical ranking tournaments in singapore, i remember attending a few, and got myself a ranking in the world rankings.

Good places to start learning would be: Those shops that sells the cards with tables provided for players to mingle around and compete. Last time Paya Lebar MRT(World of JJ), Bishan MRT, Century Sq, Serene Centre, etc are all good places to find the players, however now i not very sure already.

Anyone still keen to go back into the game?

• SRC Member

Something to add on (Gosh, the old magic days feeling are coming back)

Magic is a game that requires a lot of thinking and strategy, and not some kiddy games that most ppl deemed it to be.

Example are, trying to form your own deck combos with each new expansion, since Singapore style usually restricts the usage of cards to the latest few expansions(so as to prevent the old players from dominating by using their ever-won't-get-bored style of playing). This promotes ideas although many ppl just take the shortcut and copy deck ideas from overseas.

A start deck (dont know why they called it starter deck), is nothing more than including a few land cards, a few commons, a few uncommons, and a few rares.

They don't actually make up a playable deck IMO, since the cards are totally random, unless you buy those already made decks(I was already quitted when these decks came out).

There's 5 basic colors, and most decks don't use all 5, because the land requirements will kill most 5 colors deck. And one more thing, if you are starting, the magazine 'Inquest' would make a good reference. As it has listed the RRP of the individual cards, as well as most of the cards ability inside.

• SRC Member

Erm, rule of thumb last time was each booster pack consists of 15 cards

first 3 are uncommon

4th is rare

rest are commons

not sure whether thats the case now

as for determining the rarity of the cards, u got to know it yourself through research(as in buying the magazine, as they will imply which are rare, which are not)

no, the boosters do not contain the same cards, as far as i know, its all randomized

however, the chances of a super rare card(eg the most powerful/expensive card in that particular expansion set), are pretty small. Most of the time you get crap rares which nobody wants

A wise method of building your own deck is to pre-determine which card you really need, and buy them off other card traders(which includes the kids who always cheong booster/starter packs). In the long run IMO, you save money as you do not retain the useless cards.

But for a start, it might be good to get a few starter/booster to see the artwork all that, i know of ppl collecting the cards just for sake of the artwork, or completing their collection, and not actually involving in the gameplay.

Vincent, don't get started. TRUST ME. It's a card game that can ruin your life. If you think a marine hobby is expensive, you haven't seen the 'magic' or MAGIC yet. I started early and I've spent waaaaaaaaaay too much on this stupid game. Your 'killer deck' will never be 'killer' enough and that's how they earn your money.

Each booster pack contains (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know how the game has changed since 10 years ago)

1 Rare card

2 - 3 Uncommon cards

and (I think) 11 common cards.

The basic premise of the game is this: The rarer the card, the more 'powerful' it is. (Well, at least that's what you're lead to believe) and most of the time people want all the 'powerful' cards meaning you spend more buying booster packs for that one rare card, and believe me, the cost adds up. Over time, you accumulate a whole collection of cards and you construct your 'deck' that you battle with other players with, and that's it. The problem is, most people play type 2 games nowadays. Type 2 (once again, correct me if I'm wrong, I've not touched this game for 10 years - I don't know whether the rules have changed) games means you use cards from the basic set (the one that everyone has access to) and cards from the 2 most recent expansions.

Expansions add on more cards with new capabilities etc etc.

Type 1 games means you can use cards from ANY expansion, from any time since the game was first created. Now this creates problems. Unless you started playing the game when it FIRST came out, you're not going to be able to have access to the REALLY powerful cards that were only released when the game first came out, and were subsequently discontinued. Hence, you're at a disadvantage against other type 1 players. And remember, these cards can be REALLY REALLY expensive. Just do a search on ebay for 'Black Lotus' or 'Mox Sapphire / Emerald / Pearl / Onyx / Ruby' and you'll see.

Now, the problem with type 2 games is that after all that time and effort to construct that 'killer deck', and you've won your fair share of games etc etc, the NEXT expansion of cards comes out and basically all the effort you've put in hunting down, purchasing, trading etc for those cards will be wasted. Essentially, those cards will be useless because type 2 games only allow use of the recent 2 expansions.

So, take it from an old timer who spent LOTS of money on this ridiculous game - Don't start. It's like smoking. Once you've started, you can't stop. Thank goodness, I managed to sell away most of my discontinued cards back then and got back SOME of my money. :) WHEW.... that's a looooooooooong post.

• SRC Member

er, actually I still feel that my marine tank takes the most out of me.. No matter how crazy you are into magic I cant see a person spending 10k on it.

but then again, why pay $$$$ for a piece of paper? Thats how ridiculous and addictive this game is. ;)

er, actually I still feel that my marine tank takes the most out of me.. No matter how crazy you are into magic I cant see a person spending 10k on it.

but then again, why pay $$$$ for a piece of paper? Thats how ridiculous and addictive this game is. ;)

Dude, take it from me man... it's HIGHLY possible. You forget that in type 1 tournaments, ANY card can be used. Imagine the 'basic cards' essential to starting a competitive type 1 deck that can fight on an equal level to the other decks out there. Getting the lotus, all the moxes, dual lands etc etc etc. And these are from the BETA edition out there, and given that they're black bordered, you're more inclined to get your whole deck black bordered as well... THAT'S when the $$$ piles up. What about the old expansions? Arabian nights? Legends? I tell you, it's possible man.....

• SRC Member
After reading so much... I tink I better stay away from the game, one marine hobby is bad enough... I tink Akirasan helped me made up my mind... there goes my childhood 4ever... :(

yah man.. why not try other money ###### hobbies instead? diving, driving, photography, videography, womanising, etc...

• SRC Member
Sold off 40 pcs of my fourth/revised age dual land for $20/$35 each earlier this year. Hee..manage to make some profit comparing that i pay only $10 for them so many years ago.

U HAD FOURTY DUAL LANDS??!?!?!! FOURTY?!?!

Wah... back then I couldn't even afford 1!!