What, who inspired u to start Marine Tank?

kraziworm83

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

I started becoz there was dis 1ft cube marine tank at my office. whenever i free i go look at it then find the marine life v interesting v cute as there is clownfish, dawrf hermit, boxer, sixline in that tank :lol: . then was guide by the 1ft cube owner lah, gave me lots of advice too.... so i tats how i started... The 1st marine shop i went was 'Sealife'....

:P

• SRC Member

I started to bring a smile to my son's face. He has wanted to have a 'nemo' tank since the movie but I refused as I do not want to 'kill' as I have no knowledge of it.It took me a yr to finally start the tank.Twice failed (wrong info given by LFS) and finally my tank consisting of 4 common clown,.a maroon clown,2 tiny blue tang,1 yellow angelfish is stable for over 6 mths now.

The first LFS I went was at farmart.

• SRC Member

I was also attracted by Nemo.But the real attraction which make mi go into marine is My 1st BLUE tang. I saw 1 beautiful 10cm blue tang at a farm in pasir ris. From that days onwards, i purchase all the necessary equipment (skimmer,salt,rock,light,etc)

I bought it back at a price of $18. From that days onwards, keep donate $$$ to LFS until i satisfied with my marine tank.

Had been keep Marine for ard 1 yrs. After my blue tang dies due to disease. Give up marine fish.

Now i back away in a nano marine (1.5ft)

Last time is 4ft tank.

• SRC Member

Aquamarin! :) as i always bring my gf to jalan kayu to have our supper since she loves prata. :P started on september tis yr. wrong tank and equipment due to hurry. as i wanted to get my tank setup fast. haha. so everything went cockup. so decided to have a nano tank in my room nw. 2x1.5x1.5 by Aquamarin. excellent! :) will post pics of my tank when i get hold of DC ya.

• SRC Member

It was the pet exhibition at marina square back in 2001. Was so impressed by the beauty of a reef tank. Spent abt 1hr standing infront of the tank, was stunt by the beauty :shock: Almost wana buy the complete reef setup on the spot, but told the salesman I'll be back. On the 2nd trip, tat salesman saw me so happy tot I sure buy wan. After abt 2hrs of sales talk, almost convince to buy the 2.5ft reef setup.

Although know nuts abt reef tank, but find $2K for such a small tank rather not logical....& told him I'll be back...& nvr did :P

Went to borders & bought a few books on reef tank setup & set sail to set up my 1st tank, 6ft reef tank :P That time SGreefclub not form yet, so difficult to get good advise or information back then. Can't recall how many corals hv I killed... :paiseh: So converted into fowlr setup after 1 yr.... Currently still using the same tank :)

1st LFS visit - uncle soon from reborn

walt disney's "finding nemo". :peace:

now i'm a real sucker for reef.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

too much money...

then i bought, drove, and got sick of all the super cars available in Singapore, subsequently tried all the chickens at geylang, desker, joo chiat, then all the gers in all the sleezy KTVs, then all the sleezy massage palours, then decided to dump it all the stock market and hope to loose it all, but i gained it back all ten-fold!!!!!!

then i found out about marine... the black-hole of money...... so now... my bank account quite balanced... managed to spend all the excess money with the amount of fishes and corals i have to buy to keep my tank look nice...

:whistle

ok ok ok.... yes it will kill me if i say "Finding Nemo too" :erm:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Yup..werid things pop out from what you bought and want to find out more about them....IF DIE,BUY (concept) comes out when you get real excited about it....

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member

seeing all the nice corals when the shipment comes..cannt tahan....den setup one infrnt of my bed....everynight will stare n stare...so relaxing...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Got tired of fresh water fish, luo han, koi fish and arowana.......so......salted fish! :evil::lol::lol::lol::lol: ....partly also influence by Nemo and a close friend of mine........(Alan .......to the dark side huh?!...:lol::lol: )......and he gave up this hobby after instigating me to start my current 5 footer......... <_<

The passion of reefing is a bit slacken now......got to split my time for more important things in life...... ;) ...however I still find peace and calm looking at my brightly lighted up reef tank at night...... :P

Mr mUAr_cHEe, .....I love your reason!...... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Passion for fishes. Kanna scolded by the uncle at bukit timah plaza. Vowed to make a tank better than his. Now go his place, I KA PUI! His tank is CRAP!

1st LFS visit: Marine Life. Owned by patrick then. and uncle henry was still a normal reefer then haha and there was Chan around then. Now dont know where this bugger goes liao. Maybe gotten married or smth. Lolx

• SRC Member
Passion for fishes. Kanna scolded by the uncle at bukit timah plaza. Vowed to make a tank better than his. Now go his place, I KA PUI! His tank is CRAP!

1st LFS visit: Marine Life. Owned by patrick then. and uncle henry was still a normal reefer then haha and there was Chan around then. Now dont know where this bugger goes liao. Maybe gotten married or smth. Lolx

u referring 2 tat big size guy, can't rem his name liao...melvin?

• 3 weeks later...

my dad started marine tank first but due to lack of time and resources he's scrapping it soon ..

then i cultivate my interest from my bf's 6 footer ;)

gonna make myself a nano tank soon ... after much promptin from him

now thinkin where to get a ready made 1ft cube tank...any rec?

.png

• SRC Member

been facsinated about the reefs of the world through documentaries( earthvisions remember? :lol: )

first trip to tioman was when im in primary 3(i think)

2nd trip was when im sec 3(or 4)

trip to redang isle early this year

first lfs( or maybe farm) was Reborn when its still at seletar farmway

dad was chionging at that period of time. own a 5footer without a skimmer and chiller, and a large ehien canister :lol::lol: corals keep dying but surprisingly fishes are quite hardy without skimmer.

decided to start a tank when i found out SRC early this year....

no money to learn diving. if not, i will!!! maybe after NS.