FOWLR without chiller

• SRC Member

Hi, I'm planning a 4x2x2 FOWLR tank soon but preferably without the chiller to save running costs. For lighting, I'm estimating to use FL based on about 1W per gallon ratio so my tank would need about 120W. Livestock possibly includes favorites such as tangs, angels, pygmy angels, clowns, shrimps, triggers, etc.

My main concern is the risk to livestock if the water temp sustains around 30 degrees C or higher for prolong periods of time.

Does anyone here have any sucess in keeping a FOWLR tank without chiller for the long term (eg. 2-3 years)? Sucess in terms of livestock being healthy, feeding, etc, not necessarily spawning.

Appreciate any comments/ideas thanks!

• SRC Member

I got a 2ft FOWLR without chiller running for 1yr+ already. Livestock encountered death only due to fighting.. and seldom also.

IMO, they way to maintain it cool is to on light so shorter period of time since no need for photoperiod without corals.

Furthermore, bigger tank means cooler and more stable temp too

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
I've a 6ft FOWLR set up for abt 4 yrs without chiller. The water temp is kept contantly below 30 deg with 4 AC fans controlled by a Fox heat controller. My fishes are ok in this simple set up :rolleyes:

Wow, impressive! I feel better assured now. Thanks SoTongBall!

Care to describe more about this Fox heat controller?

• SRC Member

this heat controller came with a temperature probe. It will display the water temp on the LCD. User can preset at what temp to turn on or turn off the electrical circuit that you want to control. User can also preset the temp delta. Do use a relay if the controlled load is drawing high amp. Click on the link to find out more

Fox controller

I've a 6ft FOWLR set up for abt 4 yrs without chiller. The water temp is kept contantly below 30 deg with 4 AC fans controlled by a Fox heat controller. My fishes are ok in this simple set up :rolleyes:

How abt water top up for a system running on fan and yrs is so big...

• SRC Member

Hi

I am into a 3.5ft FOWLR for more than 6 months without chiller and so far fishes are doing well. Temp ranges from 30 -33 degress. Was running a fan for 1 month previously and temp can drop to 29 degrees but gave up shortly due to rapid evaporation and also noise... 1 day can top up more than 1.5 litres of water with the fan...

IMO, it can work without chiller, but i guess u have to take care of your water quality.. ;)

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

I guess there are couple of reasons for my tank require low water top up. Generally, the heat load for my tank is low, I specifically bought low power consumption pump and wave maker. As for lighting, I'm still using FL, lower heat load.

My house is very well ventilated with full height windows. The temp was set at 29.5 with 0.2 delta. The 4 fans is able to pull down 0.2 deg within 20 mins or even shorter during cooler weather. I'm sure if the fans are running 24hrs, alot of water will be evaporated.

I top up 1 small bucket of water in the morning & 1 at night, thats it.