There is more to life than reefing

acidjazz

I bought my first clown fish 7 years ago when Reborn was still located at Old Tampines Rd. However, technology and tank system was very different in the past, thus i gave up this hobby for a few years before picking it up early this year again.

Since i joined SRC, i met many reefers and we often meet up for sharing of thoughts regarding reefing. I must admit its quite an addictive hobby, the non-stop chionging sessions for corals, the constant surfing of Src, refreshing the page once every five minutes, playing ard with the tank etc. .

About a month ago, i have a self realization that there is more to life than just reefing. During this few months, i neglected other aspects of my life, my social life, my family and other things which are more impt than reefing. After all, reefing is just a hobby, its suppose to be fun but the pleasure i used to get from reefing is disappearing.

I realise that some reefers take reefing too seriously and thus ignore other aspects of life which used to be impt to them. I put up this thread to share my views about reefing and the mistakes i have made. Reefing became an addiction when i felt i have to go for all the chionging sessions and i have to surf Src for two hours everyday.

Since my realization, i decided to get rid of one tank and just keep one instead. There are other things in life which are more important to me than reefing. Don't you guys feel the same?

About a couple of months back, one reefer gave up his hobby because he too, had a self realization that its just a hobby after all. He paid less attention to other aspects of life, including his spiritual life. As a reault, he gave up reefing completely. Some of you might know who i am refering to. All i am saying is, reefing is just a hobby and its supposed to be fun. Do not be a slave to reefing.

Signing off,

Paul

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

I second that.

Sometimes we just have to step back and we will realize what we have missed.

I was fortunate to meet a few senior reefers this couple of days.

We always thoughts why the seniors are not coming in that often? Have they loss their zeal? The answer is No, They are still VERY passionate about the hobby but just that they would like to spare some time to life other important things as well.

In Life most of us just have to find the balancing point. Not everyone is suitable to spend 20hrs per day doing nothing but 'breathing' reefing.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

er.... was that supposed to be a huge secret??? "There is more to life than reefing."

okie okie.... maybe u trying to enlighten the blinded few here... i applaud your actions.... kudos...

:bow:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

Hey paul,

Actually I don't totally agree with your theory, although some of us treat this as a hobby, there are a fraction of us that intend to go into this line when we grow up and take it as a career (divers, marine biologists, marine veterinarians.. etc.) And therefore marine keeping to them is not just a hobby, but their dream, their vision, their goal.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey paul,

Actually I don't totally agree with your theory, although some of us treat this as a hobby, there are a fraction of us that intend to go into this line when we grow up and take it as a career (divers, marine biologists, marine veterinarians.. etc.) And therefore marine keeping to them is not just a hobby, but their dream, their vision, their goal.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you as well. . .

wad i mean is. . for majority of us reefing is just a hobby. . an interest. . a passion. . :)

Its wonderful that most reefers are serious about this hobby and they show respect to it. However, certain reefers are a little too serious.. u filling me? :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

• SRC Member

Reefing as a hobby and being obsessed about reefing is totally different.

When you need to log onto sgreef every 2hours, then you have a serious problem bro! When you eat, drink and sleep reefing , then that is obsession.

everyone needs some form of balance in life regardless whether it is work, online gaming, clubbing..... etc etc. you need to be able to define what is committment/ dedication and obsession.

I enjoy spending time with my niece, surfing net, having dinner with my wife etc etc and also enjoy setting up my reef. so it is all about balance.

hope you will find your balance and priorities.

and trust me, your priorities will change thru time. :)

and you will need to re-priorities and reset your committments from time to time.

Jacky, i can't agree with you more. . i got my priorities mixed up the last few months. . reefing was such a big part of my life that i didnt have time for anyting else. Therefore i am taking time off now and making up for lost time.

I felt i lost more than i gain in this hobby and i regret it.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
Reefing as a hobby and being obsessed about reefing is totally different.

When you need to log onto sgreef every 2hours, then you have a serious problem bro! When you eat, drink and sleep reefing , then that is obsession.

everyone needs some form of balance in life regardless whether it is work, online gaming, clubbing..... etc etc. you need to be able to define what is committment/ dedication and obsession.

I enjoy spending time with my niece, surfing net, having dinner with my wife etc etc and also enjoy setting up my reef. so it is all about balance.

hope you will find your balance and priorities.

and trust me, your priorities will change thru time. :)

and you will need to re-priorities and reset your committments from time to time.

we need to strike a balance for all things that we do..... be it in life, hobbies,family life with kids and wife, friends,health and just anything, there should be some balance...

allocation of time for each individual aspects as stated above is important. Too obsessed with it can led to neglect of many important things.

you need to be able to define what is committment/ dedication and obsession.

totally agreed with wat Bro trigger99's quote. Got to know what u want, think thru it and mange it properly... then all things will be in good hands :upsidedown:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
I felt i lost more than i gain in this hobby and i regret it.

did u loose your gfren.....

awww..... see... told u liao.... gays are better.....

come come come.... let me console u.... take off your pants and bend over pls.... :blink:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
I agree with you as well. . .

wad i mean is. . for majority of us reefing is just a hobby. . an interest. . a passion. . :)

Its wonderful that most reefers are serious about this hobby and they show respect to it. However, certain reefers are a little too serious.. u filling me? :)

Haha, bro, i think it's spelled as "you feelin' me?"

Anyway.. yeah, i guess if you do not have any future plans in this area and just keeping it as a hobby then it shouldn't be placed above your priorities..

As for the other fraction of ppl like me who intend to go into the area of marine life.. Be focus and work towards your goal!

You feelin' that, play'r?

Actually, like bro akahoshi said, different people have different views on reefing

Some, the more "hobby" type would be content with a nice, working tank

Others who want to go into this line (like myself), view it in a different way

They will keep thinking, are we providing too much lights, what are the effects of boosting calcium levels aboive NSW levels and such.

I'm glad you have realised your path and know your priorities. But do continue to be passionate ok? :)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Actually, like bro akahoshi said, different people have different views on reefing

Some, the more "hobby" type would be content with a nice, working tank

Others who want to go into this line (like myself), view it in a different way

They will keep thinking, are we providing too much lights, what are the effects of boosting calcium levels aboive NSW levels and such.

I'm glad you have realised your path and know your priorities. But do continue to be passionate ok? :)

but bro, i seriosuly think you should still got out enjoying yourself.....chase after girls....watch movies ....etc (or later end up like some of gay bro there.... :lol::lol: )

why, when i was your age....... ;)

• SRC Member

that's strange... reefing is my escape from work actually... Sometime work until damn tired, just take a few minutes arrange some coral, feed the fish, etc...

Perhaps it's not reefing that's the problem.. it's BUYING stuff for your reef that's the real obsession??

I have to admit that i was once obssessed. But reality bites and now my work takes a lot of time away from me. Not just away from my tank but my other hobbies as well. Even my family time has been affected.

There is life outside of reefing and I can vouch that there is always a little too much that you can swallow when you're mad about something. Midnight cheonging of shipments, being envious of fellow hobbyists who managed to get a better specimen, having misunderstanding with friends over corals, spending more money than you should on your tank, prioritizing your hobby time over other more sensible things... yeah... been there, done that!

Take it easy guys.... reefing is a just a hobby. Don't get too obssessed!

• SRC Member

Yikes!! :shock::o:sick:

wah piang, the infamous muar chee is back to hunt innocent victms again!

get on with your life pal. ;) it all depends on yourself... :lol:

and be careful, dun be another victim of muar chee :P

I have to admit that i was once obssessed. But reality bites and now my work takes a lot of time away from me. Not just away from my tank but my other hobbies as well. Even my family time has been affected.

There is life outside of reefing and I can vouch that there is always a little too much that you can swallow when you're mad about something. Midnight cheonging of shipments, being envious of fellow hobbyists who managed to get a better specimen, having misunderstanding with friends over corals, spending more money than you should on your tank, prioritizing your hobby time over other more sensible things... yeah... been there, done that!

Take it easy guys.... reefing is a just a hobby. Don't get too obssessed!

I can understand that your job is taking away quite a bit of your time. Most of the reefers who have seen your tank pictures or in person can agree that you are a dedicated reefer.

As time passes by, one realise that reefing is not the sole or main priority in life. As we move on from one transition to another, other aspects of life take over.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor: