Are you interested in the reefer's gathering?

Are you interested in the reefer's gathering?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the reefer's gathering?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know what you are talking about

And update from the previous poll

For those who do not know what I am talking about click here

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can those who polled call in your reefing friends as well?

I'll need more response from the reefers

Need more votes please.

Don't tell me only these few are coming :(

Need more votes please.

Don't tell me only these few are coming :(

think the rest r more interested in getting the poster n the book :P

im new to here,but will really like 2 meet up with reefers n know more 'chim' stuffs in reefing :)

anyway if the posters n the book on sales,pls like me know ya. :thanks:

It'll be cool as Anthony was not scheduled to come until 2007 and he has generously agreed to pay us a visit :yeah:

I hope the attendance will not be too unsatisfactory :whistle

• SRC Member

Wow BH, you not tire at all..

After so many times of organising and without much success. You still organising it? I salute you.. bro..

Poll for SRC meeting during end of year

SRC Third Anniversary Gathering

Are you keen on attending the meeting?, Pls vote after careful considerations

SRC End of year meeting

Gathering for all reefers, hosted by SRC

I dont know why, but how come all only talk talk and nothing happen??

In my own opinion, organising a meeting, no need to post here. Just go for cheong and get to know reefers there who share the same passion and interests. Go for coffee and sit down and talk about reefing and many more, including exchange of frags, etc.

Not go there and act as if i dun know you and you dun know me. Act cool and come here to organise gathering and meeting... In this way it will never happen.

Trust me BH.. Reefers is also about communication face to face. Not only through forum. ;)

The reason why it seems to have no movement now is that at this stage, I am awaiting for Conrad to post all the details for the order and stuff. I am part of the organising commitee and the one who gave the idea but ultimately, it is Conrad and the mods who are heading this meeting.

And why am I doing that?

Because if I start collecting orders and cash for the posters and books, people would start to say I am doing commerical posting or that they would not trust me with the cash.

There is a lot of things going on backstage from sponsoring to planning stuff like a raffle. There is a lot of things to be done such as for the coral propagation workshop, who is going to provide the corals? And for tank visits, how are we going to schedule it such that people don't get crammed up in a small HDB flat?

And for Anthony Calfo to come all the way here is also something difficult cause the funding for his flight and accomodation is to be taken care of by the club.

I personally do not like regular chit chat sessions in coffee shops as they usually yield nothing more than some laughter. What I want is not only for reefers to get to know each other, but more importantly, to expose the beginners to a more practical approach to reefing. Subsequent meetings would include our own local speakers and presenters on many various aspects of reefing but as a starter, I thought it would be well to bring in a reknown coral farmer to give his presentation.

I ensure you guys that I definately am not NATO and Conrad can confirm that.

So pls bro, before you start highlighting threads and saying that nothing is going on, try asking the people involved first as there are many things that cannot be disclosed until it is finalised ;)

• SRC Member
The reason why it seems to have no movement now is that at this stage, I am awaiting for Conrad to post all the details for the order and stuff. I am part of the organising commitee and the one who gave the idea but ultimately, it is Conrad and the mods who are heading this meeting.

And why am I doing that?

Because if I start collecting orders and cash for the posters and books, people would start to say I am doing commerical posting or that they would not trust me with the cash.

There is a lot of things going on backstage from sponsoring to planning stuff like a raffle. There is a lot of things to be done such as for the coral propagation workshop, who is going to provide the corals? And for tank visits, how are we going to schedule it such that people don't get crammed up in a small HDB flat?

And for Anthony Calfo to come all the way here is also something difficult cause the funding for his flight and accomodation is to be taken care of by the club.

I personally do not like regular chit chat sessions in coffee shops as they usually yield nothing more than some laughter. What I want is not only for reefers to get to know each other, but more importantly, to expose the beginners to a more practical approach to reefing. Subsequent meetings would include our own local speakers and presenters on many various aspects of reefing but as a starter, I thought it would be well to bring in a reknown coral farmer to give his presentation.

I ensure you guys that I definately am not NATO and Conrad can confirm that.

So pls bro, before you start highlighting threads and saying that nothing is going on, try asking the people involved first as there are many things that cannot be disclosed until it is finalised ;)

Seems like you don't get what i mean and with due respect to your age, this shows how mature you are.

So, you are acting on Conrad and the Mod behalf in organising reefers meetings, blah blah blah? which i find it weird that no one knows you are in a committee that organises this sort of functions? And since your 1st thread that involving this issue since Aug 2005, i have not seen a single soul from them being involved in the discussion on your thread. Perhaps i maybe wrong if they are behind the scene and giving you all the liberty to act on SRC's behalf in organising such meetings, seminars, fragging sections and whatever or even listening to your presentation on CHAETO Farmer experience. :lol:

Nevertheless, as mentioned earlier, i admired your determination. But it became very apparent to keep posting 6 threads in a row including this within 4 mths period that you are doing SOMETHING for SRC? Is that necessary? :angel:

Touche. :cry:

I am not critising or condemning you on whatever you are doing, but by saying things that will only happen 1 yr later or worst don't even know whether it comes or not; is being naive and insensible. Who knows what will happen next year? Do you know you will still be in this hobby? Maybe you are now very free and talking is also free. :P

What's wrong with chit chat sessions in coffee shops? DO you think that we talk rubbish and hence yield nothing but laughter? So we must be serious when comes to a HOBBY? Or perhaps we do not have golden ###### hair to share our experience with newbies? Or only reputable persons that published books and gives talk only fit to teach newbies? With due respect to Anthony, as i am 1 of his fans.

We are not speakers, presenters or any reknown coral farmers and definitely not on CHAETO. But what we have is experience and alittle knowledge that we can share with newbie and also among us. Is that not All about reefing and on any hobbies? I think you are too serious in this hobby that you have forgotten the basic purpose of it.

Who is involved? And when you meant involved is just posting a few posts in your threads? I am not here to judge whether you are NATO or not. If things are not finalise then post it when all are finalised. Its like crying wolf that never came. If something is going on, it will be your act of over-confidence that make you do things without thinking.

:ooh:

• SRC Member

Anthony's last trip to Singapore was without fanfare and yet he has tried durians, frogs, lotsa food, visited many places of interest, viewed many reefers' tanks, shopping, kopi tiam fellowship etc, despite of his packed Aquarama schedule ;)

How can I learn from local experts without friendship :rolleyes:

Well bro, I started a thread for me to post updates on the event.

For the very first thread which announces the meeting, it was postponed due to 2 factors:

1) There was not enough time to collaborate details and we don't want to rush through things and mess the whole event up

2) Anthony was to be in LA throughout the whole of Nov/Dec so he couldn't make it

But the June 25th date is already confirmed and it's on Anthony's schedule.

For the issue about roping in more experienced hobbyists is just for the first gathering and if you'd notice, I did say tht subsequent gatherings would feature local presenters.

And the reason why I kept posting about this is firstly, I needed to tell everyone about the event and needed suggestions so there goes the poll. Then, I needed to tell everyone about the change in dates and then do another poll to estimate the number of people attending so as to confirm a venue.

And just to clarify, I am not acting on behalf of the others involved but I'm just doing my share of the work. The other members would eventually settle on stuff like ordering and collecting, booking of venue, distributing publicity stuff to LFS and the such so everyone has a part to play.

Well anyway, I've got Conrad to clarify this and start the order.

Honestly, I don't know why you are posting these because if you are not interested or do not belief that it'll happen, you could as well place a vote saying that you are not interested. I find it utterly offensive especially when you highlight threads and said that I "only talk and nothing happen" and also again bringing up the issue about my level of maturity.

Seriously, I am beginning to doubt why I'm even doing all this. I don't get paid for it and neither will I receive a trophy or certificate for it. And for those who still think I'm doing this to gain popularity or as a campaign for being nominated as a mod, all I can say is that popularity and "modship" would not earn me anything either and it does not really matter as long as I can get whatever aspects of reefkeeping I am promoting across to the reefers.

I think after all the hype that is happening, it had made me more depressed. I mean its like you try to do something for the benefit of the community and then you get people who will start suspecting that you have an ulterior motive and start to question your actions. The reason why I'm still holding on despite all the criticisms I've received is because I believed that the club will grow and I believed that eventually people will start realising that SRC has the potential to forge breakthroughs in the reefing hobby. But this belief is diminishing unfortunately.... :(

Anthony's last trip to Singapore was without fanfare and yet he has tried durians, frogs, lotsa food, visited many places of interest, viewed many reefers' tanks, shopping, kopi tiam fellowship etc, despite of his packed Aquarama schedule ;)

How can I learn from local experts without friendship :rolleyes:

But how could you have friendship when people whom you don't even know or met start to say that you are immature or over-confident?

To be honest, I've had enough of this mature/immature thing :angry:

P.S. Anthony said he was eager to try our local "delicacies" again :P

• SRC Member

Pls cut the Bro crap, as i do not know you in person and dont intend to.

For whatever threads you posted, annouced or any other related to this issue makes you look stupid and rash in getting things done when they are not firm up yet.

If things are not confirmed or not firmed up, please dont blow your horn so loud.

Nobody doubt your sincerity and contributions, it is your trumpeting that is deafening. If you really wants to do it, do it discretely and i am sure everybody will appreciate on what you have done in the end.

Definitely i am not interested, especially things that can talk and go on forever.. I just cant bear to see you continue to degrade the purpose of club meeting.

Your level of maturity is always a focus on the things you do and say here. I dont denial it so do others.

As mentioned, nobody is doubting your effort. It is your trumpeting that need to tone down. You are already in the honor list hang up high long time ago. This will not take it further.

I welcome you in doing everything in the community, I recognise your effort and has never doubt your enthusiasm and belief. But sometimes it need not go overboard.

I hope you heed my advise.

;)

• SRC Member

heya blueheaven, really appreciate the things u do for SRC and the enthusiasm you show

most of the time i see where u r coming from but on this occasion, i would share the same opinion as reefaholic. i do share his opinion but not his anemosity, if any.

its not the effort you put into organising a meeting that we speak against, its more of something like, you give details, you plan ahead of time and then just when its about to happen, we receive news of the event either being cancelled or postponed etc.

i'm definitely not trying to say its your fault, sometimes circumstancial factors make it necessary to cancel but the thing is, as people who are not involved in the planning, it would seem that each time you post and call for a meeting, a very big doubt is placed in mind as to whether it will happen becos afterall, it's been cancelled very often...so then it becomes tiring to see a post for a meeting and then no one will respond to your postings...do u get wat i am trying to say?

anyway, my take is that many a times situation variables change unpredictably so its often impractical to state for certain what will happen in a very far future...in other words, go on with the planning etc but don't annouce the details too soon then start changing them...u can alwaes plan with certain assumptions then annouce when the date is nearer?

hope my suggestion and opinion helps.

no further postings...over and out :)

Well I don't know whether you guys have seen that I've only postponed it once and that the date is fixed at 25th June 2006 which is not far from now.

I needed information from the reefers to plan things such as venue and activities while waiting for AT to finish the details.

Well, I get your concern there shoelevy :)

It's rather ironic if you think about it. If I do things discretely, people start to say I'm not doing anything about it. And if I do things in the open, people start to say I should do it discretely <_<

That's enough, I'm telling the mods to close this

• SRC Member
Well I don't know whether you guys have seen that I've only postponed it once and that the date is fixed at 25th June 2006 which is not far from now.

I needed information from the reefers to plan things such as venue and activities while waiting for AT to finish the details.

Well, I get your concern there shoelevy :)

It's rather ironic if you think about it. If I do things discretely, people start to say I'm not doing anything about it. And if I do things in the open, people start to say I should do it discretely <_<

That's enough, I'm telling the mods to close this

Dear Blueheaven,

I think you dont understand the fundamentals of the criticisms directed at you. when criticisms arise, most of the times, you say something that placates the situation and it just gets swept away without having been resolved.

with regards to the gatherings:

time after time, we've seen your posts asking for opinions on gatherings, polls on who's attending, etc, and though i know these polls can be helpful in allowing you to guage an appropriate venue in terms of size, it also does seem flat when you repeat it so often. The previous Calfo workshop drew many reefers, and i think that alone is a sufficient indication of the amount of people that are likely to be keen on attending his seminars. He is, after all, one of the most recognised "experts" in our hobby, so in that sense, you need to have more faith in your fellow reefers to know that they know who anthony calfo is, and would consequently be interested to meet him.

with regards to other aspects which come across badly:

i was unable to attend the previous Calfo workshop, but from what i hear, he brought a bag of Chaetomorpha to Singapore for distribution amongst the reefing community here. Now, this may just be gossip and utterly untrue, but its something you possibly need to clear up-supposedly, you took hold of the bag of chaeto from Anthony, but did not distribute it, and just brought it home, soon after which, you declared yourself through your SRC signature that youre the Chaeto farmer, and even began selling the chaeto. did this happen? likewise, youve similarly declared that "youre not a reefer until youve tried fragging". i think such declarations only make you seem proud, for even if you enjoy fragging, thats not really the ideal way to encourage others to learn to propagate corals. and is an invertebrate keeper or FOWLR member of SRC any less a reefer amongst us?

And quite simply, "that's enough, im telling the mods to close this" is seriously a line you use far too often. our reefing community isnt so very big, and lots of us do meet up outside regularly for discussions and hands on teachings, and ive not met anyone whos not applauded your enthusiasm or effort, but like Muarchee says, theres room for improvement, which we all do hope you will realise and grow from. All of us have our failings and obnoxious moments, where we offend or annoy others, but its how we learn about ourselves, and where we go from there that matters more. Bh, please dont jump the gun by declaring that youre leaving SRC, the same way you asked for a vote prematurely in the moderators nomination thread.

i feel that you have kind of made yourself a fixture within SRC already, so i hope that you wont be rash and quit in this manner.

sincerely,

ian

• SRC Member
i was unable to attend the previous Calfo workshop, but from what i hear, he brought a bag of Chaetomorpha to Singapore for distribution amongst the reefing community here. Now, this may just be gossip and utterly untrue, but its something you possibly need to clear up-supposedly, you took hold of the bag of chaeto from Anthony, but did not distribute it, and just brought it home, soon after which, you declared yourself through your SRC signature that youre the Chaeto farmer, and even began selling the chaeto. did this happen?

If he did this..... :o

Then perhaps we all underestimate him.... :huh:

No longer a kid... Maybe have grown up already. :lol:

• SRC Member

First class tickets and 6 star hotel accomodation? I think in the Singapore context, you will probably find it difficult to sell enough of the posters and books to meet the funding. Especially if those who are buying them find that that they actually the main contributors to the funding and for the benefits of those who do not buy and come to attend FOC. I forsee a 'stalling' of the event.

• SRC Member

First class tickets and 6 star hotel accomodation? I think in the Singapore context, you will probably find it difficult to sell enough of the posters and books to meet the funding. Especially if those who are buying them find that that they actually the main contributors to the funding and for the benefits of those who do not buy and come to attend FOC. I forsee a 'stalling' of the event.

In his previous trip, he mentioned that he is fine in staying over at reefer's home to save cost for the hobbyist club and he has friends in Singapore who will take care of his lodging

• SRC Member

In his previous trip, he mentioned that he is fine in staying over at reefer's home to save cost for the hobbyist club and he has friends in Singapore who will take care of his lodging

:lol:

Bro finally you are here to say something but have not utter a single word here on what you have contributed when Anthony is around. I hope BH learned from you. This is the way to gain respect.

Cheers to you...

;)