Wiring up an LED moonlight?

• SRC Member

I hope that this helps, this is confirmed after some discussion with a vendor at the electronics shop at Sim Lim Tower.

The price of the LEDs will drop when you purchase in bulk (30-100pcs for example) but for most of us, 10 LEDs is already a lot (nano or pico tank).

Happy DIYing.

LED_connection.doc

• SRC Member

Ok, need help here boys.

I went to SLT and they had 2 kinds of blue LEDs - 4.5v and 6v. I got 9 4.5v types, and 3 120 ohm resistors.

Can I wire these according to the diagram given on page 1, and connect it to a 9v PSU? Or do I need a 6v PSU for it now?

• SRC Member
I hope that this helps, this is confirmed after some discussion with a vendor at the electronics shop at Sim Lim Tower.

The price of the LEDs will drop when you purchase in bulk (30-100pcs for example) but for most of us, 10 LEDs is already a lot (nano or pico tank).

Happy DIYing.

MAy I check with you if there's any directional for the resistor and is there any positive and nagative for the LED? Planing to DIY but not sure about electronic. Thanks. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Ok, need help here boys.

I went to SLT and they had 2 kinds of blue LEDs - 4.5v and 6v. I got 9 4.5v types, and 3 120 ohm resistors.

Can I wire these according to the diagram given on page 1, and connect it to a 9v PSU? Or do I need a 6v PSU for it now?

Yes, just follow the circuit diagram and it should be fine.

Yes also to you LED has a positive and negative, how you identify is that if you observer closely, the LED is round but there is a little flat part, the flat part is the thick black line (the LED symbol), the other way to confirm is to solder wires to the LED then use a 9V (if yours is a 4.5V) then just tap to test if it lights up (of course positive to negative of the battery), in this way, you can confirm the setup.

Happy DIYing. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Yes, just follow the circuit diagram and it should be fine.

Yes also to you LED has a positive and negative, how you identify is that if you observer closely, the LED is round but there is a little flat part, the flat part is the thick black line (the LED symbol), the other way to confirm is to solder wires to the LED then use a 9V (if yours is a 4.5V) then just tap to test if it lights up (of course positive to negative of the battery), in this way, you can confirm the setup.

Happy DIYing. :rolleyes:

Thanks great info.

Now have to figure out how to lay out the LED to make it evenly shine in the tank.