Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

Welcome!!!

This is my second marine tank feature and I am very very excited to be able to share with you a complete coverage of all aspects in setting up this new 90g Aqua Medic (Made in Germany) tank...

"German made got difference meh?" you might ask? Well... I do hope so since I paid quite a substantial amount for the setup. I guess only time can tell...

I think the Aqua Medic Percula 90 will be a very interesting and beneficial case study as the design of the tank is somehow going against the convention nowadays... you will soon to find out...

Success? Failure? Definitely too early to tell as a successful tank design and setup cannot be judged so easily... it's a combination of hundreds of elements... and usually take a very very long time...

For those interested in knowing more about the setup (from the manufacturer point of view), you can visit:

Aqua Medic Website

If you guys interested in the system, can check with our local distributor found in Aqua Medic's website.

NOTE! As I am not working for Aqua Medic, I will not entertain any queries regarding purchase price of the Percula 90. However, other questions regarding the system and technicals are most welcome... that is if I have the knowledge and in the right position to answer...

For those impatient reefers (like me)... you can visit Wrang's thread to see my source of inspirations, haha he's a few years ahead:

Wrang's Percula 90 Tank (From Sweden)

For those who want to know more about my past... perhaps this decommissioned Nano Cube may interest you... since I have transfered most of the equipments and lifestocks over to the Percula 90:

Jervis' Nano Cube (Decommissioned April 2006)

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the brothers that supported me in the Pasar Malam section, buying some of my equipments to enable me to move on with the upgrading... so smoothly.

MY BELIEF: I strongly agree to "Big got big play, small got small play". So I am not trying to set any standard here by pursuading you guys to go for the most expensive equipments you can put your hands on... in this hobby $$$ indeed plays a part, but the DEDICATION and PASSION outweighs that... Love your tank and it will repay you with an everlasting beauty that nothing else in life can match!!! :lol:

post-34-1143947800.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If u guys ever wonder... why Percula 90? Well, here's the answer... a highly efficient BERLIN filtration system hidden behind the tank. No fussy sump tank, no leakages, no 2 to 3 tanks to maintain (as I always consider sump and refugium as tanks that require maintenance also). Compact and efficient in design and execution B) Truly German style...

post-34-1143948411.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Here's a blow-up 3D view of the back compartments.

post-34-1143950455.jpg

Here's a preview of how I want my Equipments to be in... this is version 1.1 of course... so expecting changes along the way. Basically, already bought all the equipments except for lighting.

Comments welcome... PM is fine too :)

post-34-1143951167.jpg

• SRC Member

Wow ! so fast upgraded already ! Interesting to read such threads !

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Wow ! so fast upgraded already !  Interesting to read such threads !

Hehe actually wanted to get a larger tank all along... but someone at home not supportive... but after seeing my NC, I got the "green light"... so must move fast lah! Oh... sometimes... being a bachelor is not too bad an idea... but must be staying alone lah, or else worst... got two parents nagging :evil:

lol... one more week before the tank comes??

2 more days to be exact... and I haven't got a solid plan on how to move things around... any bro with experience? Can PM me? I want to create a plan to minimize impact for my LS.

oh ya, just noticed you using back your tunze reefpack together with your AM filtration system, won't that take up a lot of space?

The reef pack will not take up too much space, I am planning to use lesser LR overall btw. Always believe in "power" filtration + skimming. So will not just go with either or... I think the combination of AM and Tunze will give me great results.

Oh, although this is a 3ft tank, I will still bring along the nano tank concept. So I will not introduct large fishies, large colony of corals, etc. unless the outgrow the tank in years to come... :P

bro why you not using sump?

Err... long story actually... shouldn't say it publicly as I will be going against 90% of the bros here... hehe. Will PM you shortly :) But pls don't "quote" me, lol.

hello

In my percula 90 i just runt the hole internsump without the spong and trickelfilter

I think this dosent work good and probebly make som nitrate in the spong/trickelfilter

I haved made one own wavebox and it realy nice to see the wave at the top and the corals waves. But i took it away becouse it take alots of place and it´s realy ugly to have this box. I just want a clean tank and no seen of pumps etc

:bow:

• SRC Member

dear jervismun, as for the transfer of LS...i think you should plan it properly. Its difficult to exlpain how it can be done step by step since only u will know your setup compleletly.

But as for the ideal situation....it would be best to set up ur new tank first then add a bit of your old sand plus the new substrate. Also add about half of your old tank water and new saltwater.

REMEMBER THAT YOU WOULD kick of your ANN cycle. you could not be able to avoid it. However using the elements from your old tank would certainly help.

transfer your LS stage by stage if its possible ( read patience)

Whatever the case..if you decide to hurry things up , to be on the safe side...i will buy a large quanity of Zeovite....to absorb the ammonia.

the last thing you want is all your LS dying on your in your new tank.

jon

dear jervismun, as for the transfer of LS...i think you should plan it properly. Its difficult to exlpain how it can be done step by step since only u will know your setup compleletly.

But as for the ideal situation....it would be best to set up ur new tank first then add a bit of your old sand plus the new substrate. Also add about half of your old tank water and new saltwater.

REMEMBER THAT YOU WOULD kick of your ANN cycle. you could not be able to avoid it. However using the elements from your old tank would certainly help.

transfer your LS stage by stage if its possible ( read patience)

Whatever the case..if you decide to hurry things up , to be on the safe side...i will buy a large quanity of Zeovite....to absorb the ammonia.

the last thing you want is all your LS dying on your in your new tank.

jon

Bro thanks for your advice... yeah I realize now I really really need to plan this properly and things are gonna come in 2 days from now... I will also do postings along the way, so if any bro spotted any trouble or "accident-waiting-to-happen", pls alert me... just bought 3 bags (30kg) of grade 1 sand for the substrate.

Bought my light fixture... finally... despite some of the wonderful suggestions by some bros... I've settled for a SOLITE Type 3. 3ft fixture with 2 x 150W 10000ºK MH + 2 x 39W T5 atinic blue. External electronic balasts and separate control for MH and T5. This will give my tank a 5W/gallon illumination :)

Delivery Wednesday together with sand. Will change the T5 tubes to better ones... any suggestion? According to LFS, ATI no stock... gotto wait 1 to 2 months for next shipment.

post-34-1143981538.jpg

Nope already checked... LFS don't do trading-in... so I can always buy from somewhere else... I think 10000ºK can be quite nice since I have 2 blue T5 tubes. So I will get a nice balance I think. Or else... the tank will either looks too white or too blue. Now MH bulbs not that easily change cost they are so costly!!! :blink:

Just to tickle my planning a bit... what would u guys go for?

1. 8 to 9 small Green Chromis

2. 6 to 7 small Dispar Anthias

3. None of the above (state why and suggestion please)

:thanks: in advance :P

• SRC Member
Nope already checked... LFS don't do trading-in... so I can always buy from somewhere else... I think 10000ºK can be quite nice since I have 2 blue T5 tubes. So I will get a nice balance I think. Or else... the tank will either looks too white or too blue. Now MH bulbs not that easily change cost they are so costly!!! :blink:

i suggest go for 14,000k....jus nice...or even 20,000k..some of the 20k tubes arn't tt blueish though.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Dun get chromis they will not school when they are grown up...

Dispar is a good choice, you can try blue eye anthias or randell anthias as they are quite nice and remain quite small..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

i suggest go for 14,000k....jus nice...or even 20,000k..some of the 20k tubes arn't tt blueish though.. :D

Em... well if that's the case, I shouldn't use the bulb (that comes with the lamp). Easier to sell to fellow reefers if new. What brand u guys suggest? Sure 20000ºK not gonna be bluish? I am actually happy with my current 14000ºK. What about the Aqualine 10000 @ 13000ºK? But very costly to buy 2 :cry:

• SRC Member

Em... well if that's the case, I shouldn't use the bulb (that comes with the lamp). Easier to sell to fellow reefers if new. What brand u guys suggest? Sure 20000ºK not gonna be bluish? I am actually happy with my current 14000ºK. What about the Aqualine 10000 @ 13000ºK? But very costly to buy 2 :cry:

not all 20,000k are so blueish...some look somewhere in the middle of 14k n 20k...but y not use back ur current tube u using it for ur 24g..

anyway..its recommend to use all the same tubes for ur MH....one side 10k n one side 20k looks awkward.

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

I sold my current MH 14000ºK. The new fixture comes with 2 10000ºK. Em... based on my budget... which of the MH u suggest I go for? (they are all along the same price range)

1. BLV 14000ºK

2. Coralvue 20000ºK

3. XDE 15000ºK

As for the T5:

1. D-D Actinic Plus T5 Tube

2. D-D Aquablue Plus T5 Tube

3. T5 Coralvue Actinic-03 Lamp (half price compared to D-D)

Thanks in advance

Bought my light fixture... finally... despite some of the wonderful suggestions by some bros... I've settled for a SOLITE Type 3. 3ft fixture with 2 x 150W 10000ºK MH + 2 x 39W T5 atinic blue. External electronic balasts and separate control for MH and T5. This will give my tank a 5W/gallon illumination :)

Delivery Wednesday together with sand. Will change the T5 tubes to better ones... any suggestion? According to LFS, ATI no stock... gotto wait 1 to 2 months for next shipment.

haiz . just u are the unlucky one that ATI has no stock. aquamarine dun have ?

settled for D-D deltec aquablue plus . order from RD and you will not regret. anyway the tubes provided by the light set is not that good .aqualux if i am not mistaken

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10