tank design

• SRC Member

what do u guys think about this set up? any form of input is greatly appreciated, irregardless good or bad.

what is the recomended turnover rate? is 2800l/h sufficient? the tank volume is approx 200l. i doubt the eheim can be used for the chiller as well as a return pump right?

and lastly how big shd the overflow pipe be? the bigger the better?

thanx guys

post-6-1147384182.jpg

• SRC Member

my initial design does not involve 2 pumps... but after readin ard... they mentioned about turnover rate i.e. water exchange between the main tank and the sump tank. thats y i thought of using 2 pumps.

• SRC Member

sound good to me :lol: same as my 3ft set up :)

you may consider using eheim 1260 for your chiller (2nd return). cos by the time it reaches the top of your tank, you will have high headloss. i am using eheim 1262 for my chiller(2nd return) the flow is too low for my 1/2hp chiller :(

you may consider let your skimmer drew water from the 1st compartment of the sump and than return in the 2nd compartment of the sump.

for the return pipe, use 1.5" is good enough for your tank :)

age.png

• SRC Member

hey man your pump feeding to the chiller is waaaay too slow esp after reaching the top nothing flowing leaw :lol:

cl650 needs sth like 2000L/hr, so maybe u wanna consider eheim 1260 which does 2400l per hr, oh u use 1260 for your return and use the 2800l/hr pump for the chiller

IMO, 2 return pumps is good :D incase 1 fails there's alwaes another to back up. trust me, happen to me twice leaw....i feel the extra investment in another pump is worth it

u should aim for minimum 6times turnover rate for the 2 return pumps combined

hope this helps!!!

I know ur drawings may not reflect the actual thing... but you may try having the RED outlet on the left so that you can have both left and right outlet, better flow since your overflow box is at the center back.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica