Need Info on Media (Bacteria House)

The corals, so far so good.

Still gpt a lot to learn lei.

Have to read & ask a lot from bros here in SG.

No problem, one day we'll go cheong LFS together.

I'm still waiting for kind bros here to give me info on bacteria house.

• SRC Member

【The effect of a bacteria house】

Patent acquisition

A bacteria house makes many bacteria which clean water live, and maintains water freshly.

A bacteria house has many holes far compared with the conventional filtration, and the adhesion area of the feature of bacteria is large.

Therefore, many bacteria adhere.

From my search everyone using it for fresh water only.. nv found and marine ppl using.. :angel::angel::angel:

hoe this help

You are looking for media to store bacteria in saltwater right? Most of the bros here use Biohome (coarse ceramic media). Can also use bioballs (plastic balls) but not very popular nowadays... Live Rock is in fact the best housing for bacterias.

Sorry, have not heard of Bacteria House brand.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hi Labu,

you won't find many using it because its quite new in the market and marketed mainly for koi use, aro keepers are taking to it. One or two are starting to use it in marine but it takes a few months for results to show(so you won't know for a while).

Yes you can use it in marine- maybe leave it in an area of the sump with a gentle flow around it. (unlike recommended as a trickle filter media).

Place it after all mechanical filtration so only clean water flows around it as you want to make use of its internal structure.

It is quite porous and will aid nitrification on the outside and allow anaerobic bacteria to colonize the inside (like Live Rock).

If you have read the review on aro , it does reduce nitrate in freshwater a little so no reason why it won't in saltwater.

It won't give you zero nitrates but it will help.

Its not cheap, but since you have it there's no harm in using it.(soak it in tapwater for a few days before using)

Hi Labu,

you won't find many using it because its quite new in the market and marketed mainly for koi use, aro keepers are taking to it. One or two are starting to use it in marine but it takes a few months for results to show(so you won't know for a while).

Yes you can use it in marine- maybe leave it in an area of the sump with a gentle flow around it. (unlike recommended as a trickle filter media).

Place it after all mechanical filtration so only clean water flows around it as you want to make use of its internal structure.

It is quite porous and will aid nitrification on the outside and allow anaerobic bacteria to colonize the inside (like Live Rock).

If you have read the review on aro , it does reduce nitrate in freshwater a little so no reason why it won't in saltwater.

Its not cheap, but since you have it there's no harm in using it.(soak it in tapwater for a few days before using)

Tks bro bawater. Appreciate your comments on this media.

Why not try it since I have it.

Tks again.

• 1 month later...
Hi Labu,

does bacteria house or biohome need replacement?? need to change new one after a certain period???

• SRC Member

Hi jun,

ceramic media like rings/biohome are designed for slow water flows (unlike bioballs/most plastic media) so over time biofilm & biofloc will build up on their surface - if they are kept out of light or in a shaded area this will take much much longer.

Once they get slimy and brown remove a portion and wash with tapwater (scrub them with a toothbrush if need be) - Replace the media and repeat to the other portions a week later.

If they are kept out of light in clean filtered water, this only needs to be done once or twice a year.

There is no need for new replacement, unless you don't want to wash.

• SRC Member
Hi Bros, I'm very new in marine.

Need to know if any bros used Bacteria House for media in marine.

I have some since give up on aros but not sure whether can it be

used for marine.

Tks.

:D

sorry to cut in, bro, if you decide to get biohome, i have a resun canister 75% filled with biohome. it has been with me for around 3 years...

just let me know if you are interested in buying the canister with the biohome...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

post-6-1153362697.jpg

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

Hi jun,

ceramic media like rings/biohome are designed for slow water flows (unlike bioballs/most plastic media) so over time biofilm & biofloc will build up on their surface - if they are kept out of light or in a shaded area this will take much much longer.

Once they get slimy and brown remove a portion and wash with tapwater (scrub them with a toothbrush if need be) - Replace the media and repeat to the other portions a week later.

If they are kept out of light in clean filtered water, this only needs to be done once or twice a year.

There is no need for new replacement, unless you don't want to wash.

thanks bawater, u always provides good informations.

• SRC Member
....sorry to hijeck yr post, bawater, if i intend to put biohome in canister filter, where/which tray/ layer shd i place them? top or bottom?

thanks, once again sorry to hj this post.

Why not all?maximizes the space and works as a remote biotower, just prefilter the water as much as possible first on the intake tube-

so the canister only intakes clean water.

If you mean that the canister is the only filter for the entire tank, then the media should be the last tier(usually at the top) after all the mechanical media(sponge). This will mean the canister will need to be cleaned often.

• SRC Member

hi bawater, thanks for the advise, how abt active carbon? place it in last tier (top tray) as well or it shd be the 1st tier (bottom tray), i think i always confused with which tray is the highest flow rate, which is the lowest flow rate in a canister filter. thanks again.