what is e easiest SPS to keep

• SRC Member

montipora cap quite easy in my opinion

recognised by its plating nature

jamomatt, i think your tank must be stable and mature lor...like more than 9mths old perhaps?

most important is lightings, current flow and stable water parameters...fluctuating parameters can cause rtn or stn.

if u wanna try can always kapo some frags from friends :D like the man i am still very grateful for giving me so much support in sps :)

montipora cap quite easy in my opinion

recognised by its plating nature

jamomatt, i think your tank must be stable and mature lor...like more than 9mths old perhaps?

most important is lightings, current flow and stable water parameters...fluctuating parameters can cause rtn or stn.

if u wanna try can always kapo some frags from friends :D like the man i am still very grateful for giving me so much support in sps :)

Mine into 3rd month only la :ph34r:

I have an area under my 150W Mh abt 1 feet down for SPS in the future, must control... must not buy yet...

I still got long way man... the 'brownies' are only starting to clear up in my tank :P Guess just 'see no touch' for now and keep to LPS for the next few months...

Hi bro, I have a couple of listed IMO hardly Acro., don't know exactly the name, but it pass a few flutuation phenomenon like ORP drop, high humic acid, inadequate CA, and sudden change in Ph, Sality and so on. (This count after acclimiation ofcause ;)

post-22-1150178503.jpg

This A. Milipora is also the one quite easy. And as other reefers said, it's much better to try frags from friend where they already come from established tank w/o much transport problem like the wild collected.

post-22-1150178839.jpg

I hv a 400W MH, will it be an overkill? Will SPS especially those that is near to the surface be able to take it?

:thanks:

Depend on acclaimation period, I used to try to bash the speciement which stay under 150W MH for 4-5 month with 400W. Bleaching in a WEEK!

not hardly recommended! Lol

• SRC Member

Depend on acclaimation period, I used to try to bash the speciement which stay under 150W MH for 4-5 month with 400W. Bleaching in a WEEK!

not hardly recommended! Lol

Wht's the depth of your tank and how high u place your MH able the tank?

I hv a 400W MH, will it be an overkill? Will SPS especially those that is near to the surface be able to take it?

:thanks:

So fast planning for SPS? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

So fast planning for SPS? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Juz wanna try on one 1st before going full swing with SPS! However, I consider myself still very inexperience and hope that bro & sis fr this forum can enlightened me with their precious experience! :)

• SRC Member

Montipora is quite difficult in my view. Certainly there is 1 or 2 species that are easy which you can commonly find them in LFS like those reddish brown type or greenish plates. You can find them even in Singapore water. Tonga and fiji are best to avoid and need good water parameters, strong lighting and dependable flow.

However, millipora, pocci and digitata are easier IMO. At least they would not easily RTN but sometimes they lost thier colours too. ;)

• SRC Member
Juz wanna try on one 1st before going full swing with SPS! However, I consider myself still very inexperience and hope that bro & sis fr this forum can enlightened me with their precious experience! :)

As bro Reefaholic mentioned orange monti plate is easier to start with. If you are interested, I can frag a piece for you to try :D

• SRC Member
Montipora is quite difficult in my view. Certainly there is 1 or 2 species that are easy which you can commonly find them in LFS like those reddish brown type or greenish plates. You can find them even in Singapore water. Tonga and fiji are best to avoid and need good water parameters, strong lighting and dependable flow.

However, millipora, pocci and digitata are easier IMO. At least they would not easily RTN but sometimes they lost thier colours too. ;)

Thks for the info! :)

• SRC Member
Btw, is there any recommended webpage with pics to show the names/ type of SPS? :thanks:

I'm not good at IDing too.. don't even know what are the names of some corals in my tank. These are some of the places where I take reference from.. ;)

http://www.orafarm.com/corals.html

http://www.aquacon.com/sps.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597