Mushrooms secrets....

Sotong

Strange leh...I thought mushies are very robust and easy to keep? I only have 1 problem with them: everytime I buy a rock with several mushrooms (they looked great in the shop) but when i put in inot my tank, the bigger ones will grow and kind of kills off the smaller ones. don't why, esp. so for giant mushrooms. Anyone observe the same?

• SRC Member

what type of mushroon is this? purple pimple?

this is my another attempt after most of my mushroom gradually died more than a year ago. Bought for about 2 months... this is the "standard" or even better, I used to have for the old batch of mushrooms before they went heaven for unknown reason...

post-71-1159537203.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Mushrooms do not usually have zooxanthellae, so they do not need to be near a light source for photosynthesis. They therefore prefer to be kep at the lower levels of the tank.

this is a complete misconception. All photosynthetic corals have zooxanthellae, full stop. Or they would not be photosynthetic.

however it is true that most mushrooms prefer less intense lighting and lower current flow.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

these are my mushies under only white lights (2xT5, 39watt)..at times

largest is about 6inch across...

" target="_blank">My Webpage

i think e blue lights give them better colours but in e case of wanting them to open up...guess white is good enough

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

why you all make mushrooms sound so complicated? I always thought they're the easiest to keep lar, sometimes buy LR also got free surprise mushroom come along with it.

Basic water care for salinity, pH and dKH is all you need. so long as you can maintian dKH, pH will fall into place.

Iodine and strotium i don't know if they're that necessary, but if you use a good salt mix and perform your regular water changes, there's no reason to worry about them.

low flow defintely a plus for mushrooms.

For photosynthesis, i guess the general guideline is so long as anything thing is brown, they have zooxathalae cos zoo is brown, and if they have zoo, they'd need light to photosynthesize so you need light for mushroom.

Luminousity of mushrooms displays better under atnic and that's the same for any other kind of luminous coral so nothing speciali guess.

so in conclusion, reefing is not so complicated and mushrooms also. of course the additive manufacturers wanna make it sound complicated so more people will spend on their products buy this buy that, add this add that. its all part of marketing.

if your mushroom die, i suggest find a bro who has mushrooms growing well, invite him over for coffee and ask him look at the setup and see what's wrong.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

why you all make mushrooms sound so complicated? I always thought they're the easiest to keep lar, sometimes buy LR also got free surprise mushroom come along with it.

Basic water care for salinity, pH and dKH is all you need. so long as you can maintian dKH, pH will fall into place.

Iodine and strotium i don't know if they're that necessary, but if you use a good salt mix and perform your regular water changes, there's no reason to worry about them.

low flow defintely a plus for mushrooms.

For photosynthesis, i guess the general guideline is so long as anything thing is brown, they have zooxathalae cos zoo is brown, and if they have zoo, they'd need light to photosynthesize so you need light for mushroom.

Luminousity of mushrooms displays better under atnic and that's the same for any other kind of luminous coral so nothing speciali guess.

so in conclusion, reefing is not so complicated and mushrooms also. of course the additive manufacturers wanna make it sound complicated so more people will spend on their products buy this buy that, add this add that. its all part of marketing.

if your mushroom die, i suggest find a bro who has mushrooms growing well, invite him over for coffee and ask him look at the setup and see what's wrong.

have u ever keep those hot pink yuma ?

if u consider that a mushroom, i think it is not easy to keep.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • SRC Member
Wah... lucky i found this thread... was so tempted to get a MH light for my tank... thought more light will make bigger mushies... probably my current T5 will more than suffice.... :P

That's depend on your depth that your mushie are... I have not notice any ill effect on my mushie at the bottom of my 2 feet depth with 150W MH.... ;)

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

That's depend on your depth that your mushie are... I have not notice any ill effect on my mushie at the bottom of my 2 feet depth with 150W MH.... ;)

hmm... ok... was thinking of adding a wavemaker... for the health of the fishes... will cause harm to the mushies? :unsure: