Looking for Iguana for pet

Dorado

• SRC Member

I am in the field to talk abt keeping Iguana but i know that some species is protected n it's illegal to own or rear one. I knew of pple whom use to keep them as pets in their house.

This is the pdf file from AVA Singapore on Iguana.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
I am in the field to talk abt keeping Iguana but i know that some species is protected n it's illegal to own or rear one. I knew of pple whom use to keep them as pets in their house.

This is the pdf file from AVA Singapore on Iguana.

I don't get it? Why do they put up a list of endangered species in that PDF? There are billions of animals species. How are they going to cover all? Do they mean that if I were to import an animal thats not in the list, its ok? <_< .. obviously not, so then why bother?

I can't believe they put Rhinocerous.. :lol:.. hey, lets do a bulk order to bring in Rhinocerous. I'd love a Rhino in my backyard. <_< .. duh..

ok.. I know I know.. they mean the horns.. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

I don't get it? Why do they put up a list of endangered species in that PDF? There are billions of animals species. How are they going to cover all? Do they mean that if I were to import an animal thats not in the list, its ok? <_< .. obviously not, so then why bother?

I can't believe they put Rhinocerous.. :lol:.. hey, lets do a bulk order to bring in Rhinocerous. I'd love a Rhino in my backyard. <_< .. duh..

Can't agree more.

But hell, these pple up there can't just grap anything they can think of and place them in the list. So easliest way is to use the endanger species list by WWF (Not Wrestling hon)

• SRC Member

I like your idea!! having rhino in the back yard!! :lol:

But really have to be careful with the do and don't which

they stipulate in the law. For me if it really endangered species,

I will not go for it.

" If the buying stop, the porching will stop too"

• SRC Member

I like your idea!! having rhino in the back yard!! :lol:

But really have to be careful with the do and don't which

they stipulate in the law. For me if it really endangered species,

I will not go for it.

" If the buying stop, the porching will stop too"

but... I'd still like the feeling of having a Rhino in my backyard :( ... I feel safer. Think AVA will buy that? :lol::lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

Can't agree more.

But hell, these pple up there can't just grap anything they can think of and place them in the list. So easliest way is to use the endanger species list by WWF (Not Wrestling hon)

Then again how can they just do that? We work differently from many countries.

I believe in the US, they probably can keep anything besides the list, while we can't keep anything unless AVA says so.

In US law, innocent until proven guilty. In SG, guilty until proven innocent.. ;)

• SRC Member
In US law, innocent until proven guilty. In SG, guilty until proven innocent.. ;)

:off::off: Bro,

The grasses is always greener over the fence lah, for our case the glasses of the tank is always cleaner w/o aglae on the outside. :D :D

• SRC Member

:off::off: Bro,

The grasses is always greener over the fence lah, for our case the glasses of the tank is always cleaner w/o aglae on the outside. :D :D

not really ok.. I keep getting oil blotches on the outside... must keep cleaning with newspaper. :lol:

right.. lets get back to the Rhino.. errrm.. no .. Iguana topic.

• SRC Member

nowadays airport security are more stringent, they seems to be scanning every passengers....

Personally, Chameleons and small snakes are better pets as they're tame.

not too long ago at JKT, a Slow Loris was selling at SGD40, very cute with their white/brownish fur.

slow_loris_t.jpg

If you want to see how big green iguanas get do visit the reptile park and you can get a rough idea. Most green iguanas in the trade now are captive bred in many parts of the world, like El Salvador in South America. It does'nt matter how endangered an animal is. Even CITES 1 animals like tigers can be traded commercially once production is beyond the first/second (can't really remember) generation. Like the moluccan cockatoo, it's also on CITES 1 but you still can find them in bird shops in Sg.

No point lobbying for rights to keep reptiles in Sg. Government bodies are too lazy to change. The overly conservative mindsets of local nature groups does'nt help either. These people just have reservations against cold blooded animals. Whether your reptile is endangered or non-endangered, you are not allowed to keep them. Does'nt mean there are'nt people breeding them in Sg. Veiled chameleons, tarantulas, tortoises, ferrets, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, etc already bred by the people who live "undeground" for fear of being charged under senseless & baseless laws.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Just a blog that I came across.....

http://realwildlifesingapore.blogspot.com/

Nice.. I love what this person said:

Quote:

"4. No import permit is needed unless required by national law.

I wish to highlight the 4th point. Apparently Singapore does require you to have an import permit. But how is this possible if AVA does not recognise this? Apparently you can't even import some temperate or tropical species that are not even endangered, needless to say for CITES II animals. The lame reason AVA always gives is due to potential adverse effects on the local ecosystem. The reason that this statement is LAME is because temperate species would die of heat stress before they can do any harm to local ecosystems. Why are temperate species not allowed to be imported then even if people are willing to take the trouble to apply for proper documentation? The reason is simple: AVA simply cannot be bothered."

yes.. I remember now about the lame disturbing the ecosystem if the species is released into the wild. I can still remember the jumping beans thingy.. in the end they gotta burn all the stuff.

• SRC Member
If you want to see how big green iguanas get do visit the reptile park and you can get a rough idea. Most green iguanas in the trade now are captive bred in many parts of the world, like El Salvador in South America. It does'nt matter how endangered an animal is. Even CITES 1 animals like tigers can be traded commercially once production is beyond the first/second (can't really remember) generation. Like the moluccan cockatoo, it's also on CITES 1 but you still can find them in bird shops in Sg.

No point lobbying for rights to keep reptiles in Sg. Government bodies are too lazy to change. The overly conservative mindsets of local nature groups does'nt help either. These people just have reservations against cold blooded animals. Whether your reptile is endangered or non-endangered, you are not allowed to keep them. Does'nt mean there are'nt people breeding them in Sg. Veiled chameleons, tarantulas, tortoises, ferrets, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, etc already bred by the people who live "undeground" for fear of being charged under senseless & baseless laws.

Bro,

Nowadays govt depts are more amenable to feedback. The general problem is that there is much more AR feedback than hobbysit feedback (and much of this is not well thought out and presented; and often presented in a confrontational way which does not work). Part of the problem too is that pro-hobbyists often have something to hide and do not want AR people investigating them when they voice out...so most of the more knowledgeble hobbyists just keep quiet and go on as usual...

Suffice to say that there is some movement (albeit slow...slow...) to petition for more species etc. If you want change, be involved....let me know... ;)

BTW, even though CITES 1 species may be traded if captive bred to F2, the over-riding criteria is that they have to be from a farm/facility registered with CITES. So far, there are none for Tigers, nor even commonly bred species like Radiated torts, Bali Mynahs, Hyacinth macaws etc. There is, I believe, only 1 farm registered for Moluccans...and they are located in S'pore. Bottom line - no registration, no captive bred C1 CITES.

Other bits and pieces that don't make sense: Sclerophages.(asian arrowanas)...tons of farms registered in the region but they still cannot be imported into the US as they are on the US Endangered species list!! (they are "better" than CITES

:rolleyes: ) Also be grateful that you don't keep birds in the US - their Wild Bird Conservation Act makes it almost impossible to import CITES 2 species...and that's pretty much all parrots! To do so, you will need to be part of an approved breeding co-op where you will have to prove experience and success with breeding the species/group as well as opeing up your facility to F&W inspections :sick:

All weird and wonderful but, well, that's the way the world works....

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Oh ya...back to topic...

Green Iguanas don't make good pets. Really nice and cute as juveniles but they grow up to be 3-4 ft monsters (and that's not including their tails!). Too strong and aggressive for anyone to control and they are not amenable to obedience training :P . I know of a few cases where the owners had to give them up due to their aggressiveness with sexual maturity......It's sad to see grown men :cry2:

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......