Need expert views/opinions

ong2ah

• SRC Member

Hope to get some views on my current problem... these one week plus ..my pearl bubbles and frogspawn have not being opening great... this coincides with the introduction of soft coral (xenia) placed near these two corals... my other parameters in tank is ok.

These two corals with me for 3/4 of a year liao...always doing gd...my question is whether is it possible that xenia is releasing chemical attacking the LPS? Btw i got two more bubbles corals still doing well, i suspect they are fine as they are some distance away from the xenia.

Really would appreciate any opinion and views :thanks:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi ong,

The xenia is most probably the cause(xenia is known for it), only one way to find out for sure- move it abt 12" (30cm) away. If it still happens remove the xenia. This happens with some leather corals too.

• SRC Member
Hi ong,

The xenia is most probably the cause(xenia is known for it), only one way to find out for sure- move it abt 12" (30cm) away. If it still happens remove the xenia. This happens with some leather corals too.

Already remove (gave away) the xenia abt 3-4 weeks ago.... after removing the xenia for one day... my pearl bubbles show great improvement already... now its already blooming as usual... :D My tank only two feet in length so not enough space to put xenia apart from bubbles.

Thanks for the reply.. This is a useful learning process for me... though learn it the hard way... but glad no need to learn the painful way. :angel:

• SRC Member
xenia can sting other corals.

bro, i dnt think xenia k sting other corals... from what i read out soft corals attack nearby corals by releasing chemicals... only LPS will sting if i am not too wrong... :ph34r: