23/06/2006 Big Tonga SPS shipment 9:30AM

Well anyway, the situation at the shipments were always almost the same since it began with the night cheongings.

Yes, we do want to look out for nice specimens and when we do so, we'll most probably put them in a tank and ask someone to "reserve it first" (there's limited pails ok?) :lol:

But by doing so, we must also be considerate and not just put all into our "reserve tanks" and then pick out the few nice ones. Instead, we should pick out the ones we are most likely to buy and then place them in the reserves.

In fact, some of us go in small groups and we help each other out but if we are considerate, we know what can be done and what should not be done.

Just a little suggestion for the upcoming shipments ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha... not gone case yet... I was there 9.40am... already packed with Singaporeans... no Thais... so Singapore 6 - Thailand 0... but I was shocked by how "kiasu" Singaporeans are... very very bad attitude.

Let me explain:

1) They come in packs (GF tag along somemore)... so easily 6 pairs of hands

2) They will strip open the white styrofoam boxes

3) They will pass the bags to each other... towards to their "reserved" tank

4) They will unpack quickly and put all into their "reserved" tank (imagine those blue tubs... full leh... easily 40 pieces)

5) They will gather around the "reserved" tank

6) They will wait for the polyps to open (apparently they quite free)

7) They then remove those they don't like

8) They only take a few pieces in the end (I presume as I left... but they can't possibly take all the 40 to 50 pieces).

What you guys think?

All the shipments of iwarna is like that since day 1. The old birds will help out to unpack the frags as there are too many pieces. Auntie and victor cannot possibly upack them asap. To be considerate, we help out in unpacking. How long have u been in reefing, is this the first time u encounter this? This should be a culture shock to u. ;)

Where yesterday i was there. Only few of us help in unpacking where the rest just eye power and wait for things to happen(unpack). Instead of complaining of not getting the good stuff, ppl can help to unpack, also meanwhile they can get what they want.

The pieces in the reserve tank are not really that great as they are very common pieces where most of us already had 1 in our tank. We just take what we wanted. The gems are still in the non reserved tank where most of us dun appreciate. an example is the pink monti.

If ppl wanna take a look at reserve tank, no issues at all. Ask and it will be given to them. BTW, we don't crowd there at all times. The pieces are duplicates where the non reserved tank also has it.

Jervis, Chill...

All shipment is like that one. reefers are kangiong becos they want to get the best. U also want the best right. U will get use to it. I have seen it numerous times, so there is no need to get upset abt it. Take it as a pinch of salt.

Perhaps I have not been in the hobby long enough... yes yesterday was my first "eye-opening" experience... so if it's always been like that... why are we all cursing and swearing the Thais? Now I understand why... "kiasu" is not part of the Thai culture anyway... so they've been forced into such behaviour by us ;)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Perhaps I have not been in the hobby long enough... yes yesterday was my first "eye-opening" experience... so if it's always been like that... why are we all cursing and swearing the Thais? Now I understand why... "kiasu" is not part of the Thai culture anyway... so they've been forced into such behaviour by us ;)

Haha, now they can feel the power of our dark side(kiasulisum). :evil:

Emm... from all the "old birds" I think there are only 2 solutions to this topic:

1) Don't even bother going anymore coz probably end up complaining in the forum after that or get higher blood pressure for the rest of the day

2) Firm up, tone up... When in Rome, Do What the Romans Do...

Probably I will go for option 2) then... thanks all the bros for this very valuable lesson... I will learn and u guys know how fast I learn... :lol::lol::lol:

For me, I would love to be gracious and a bit gentleman but hey... as a previous bro puts it... those who stand and wait will not get anything in the end... I have to call office for an emergency half day off leh... :(

See you guys soon :)

Cheers

Note: There are more than 5 people (I believe from Irwana's side) doing the unpacking including a foreign worker... so I don't think Irwana appreciate us helping ourselves like that as chaos is bad for business (that is my opinion only hor)... and I spotted a few incidents where the "gang" mishandled the corals... they were to "kanchiong" with the unwrapping of the newspaper... broke some branches along the way... then the small small pieces they put it in the tank next to their "reserved" tank... where I was trying to find a spot.

... quite speechless actually :shock::shock::shock:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Emm... from all the "old birds" I think there are only 2 solutions to this topic:

1) Don't even bother going anymore coz probably end up complaining in the forum after that or get higher blood pressure for the rest of the day

Probably I will go for option 2) then... thanks all the bros for this very valuable lesson... I will learn and u guys know how fast I learn... :lol::lol::lol:

For me, I would love to be gracious and a bit gentleman but hey... as a previous bro puts it... those who stand and wait will not get anything in the end... I have to call office for an emergency half day off leh... :(

Cheers

Note: There are more than 5 people (I believe from Irwana's side) doing the unpacking including a foreign worker... so I don't think Irwana appreciate us helping ourselves like that as chaos is bad for business (that is my opinion only hor)... and I spotted a few incidents where the "gang" mishandled the corals... they were to "kanchiong" with the unwrapping of the newspaper... broke some branches along the way... then the small small pieces they put it in the tank next to their "reserved" tank... where I was trying to find a spot.

is it becose you didnt get nice corals in this shipment that y you r acting this way?of you r inexperience enough in chooseing nice corals in a short time.sometimes you need real experience in chooseing nice corals in such a short time.if you cant do that,theres no one to blame but yourself.i hope you get this msg in your head.

is it becose you didnt get nice corals in this shipment that y you r acting this way?of you r inexperience enough in chooseing nice corals in a short time.sometimes you need real experience in chooseing nice corals in such a short time.if you cant do that,theres no one to blame but yourself.i hope you get this msg in your head.

i Think bro Prata Lover is right. Picking a nice coral under these circumstances is tough. Even if u bring down a gang, still wont change the fact that a more experienced reefer would probably snap up nice corals and leave all the common ones for u. Will u then still kick up a big fuss in here?

A shipment is just a shimpent. Sont need to be so emotional. Like what Kimaru said. If u want to look at a reserved tank, ask and it will be granted. I'm sure most bro's would allow u to.

Cheers

To be correct. As for the broken frags, some are already broken during shipping and 2 or 3 broken during unpacking. Broken pieces can also be sold. Its not as if it is a glassware. Broken and cannot be sold. Maybe u can help to unpack next shipment, as u will realise how difficult it is to unpack. As the rubber bands tonga uses are so tight and difficult to unwind. Ours fingers are swollen after the unpacking. Pls treat this as a hobby instead of compettiton.

U r not iwarna, how u feel that the helpers are not appreciated. Pls check out with iwarna and ask for their opinions. There are a few caterories of items that needs unpacking yesterday. Exp, fishes, soft/hard/stony corals. And yesterday was a huge shipment. For me, i always help out during iwarna's shipment. No matter is soft/hard corals. I dun specifically choose sps section. I also unpacked LPS.

Mentality have to be changed ppl. :peace:

Ok guys... although I'm not the only one making a fuss here... but it's clear to me that what bro Vanquish said previously is true... let's not point of fingers (or whatever you call it) to the other forums... it is within SRC and it is pretty obvious lor... thanks guys for revealing yourselfs... really need to learn from you guys :)

Next time can tag along or not? :lol::lol::lol:

Aiya, if u're not happy with this kind of situation, u dun go when there's any shipment lor. U can just wait for the next day to pick up whatever they have.

It's either leave them or join them. Dun need to display the "sour grapes" mentality.

And u're saying u're disappointed with Vincent's message? expecting him to take action against another forum member? U must be joking.. c'mon, then he gotta take actions against many many pple :blink:

Many of us here from SRC are in another forum as well, I'm proud to identify myself as one, aren't u not one too?

Why dun u make ur complaints to AT as well? Let him identify those SRC members in the gang and take action against them?

Last piece of advice, dun just complain when u dun get what u want...

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

Ok guys... although I'm not the only one making a fuss here... but it's clear to me that what bro Vanquish said previously is true... let's not point of fingers (or whatever you call it) to the other forums... it is within SRC and it is pretty obvious lor... thanks guys for revealing yourselfs... really need to learn from you guys :)

Next time can tag along or not? :lol::lol::lol:

No prom, what already juz said ask as it will be granted. ;)

No matter SRC/another forum, we are still as 1(marine hobbyist). Lets not wage war against ourselves. :peace:

Jervis,

I guess you are just not used to the excitement of shipment day. Like most of the older reefers mentioned, it has always been like this and will continue to be so. So fit in or be left out! Do not condemn or degrade the actions of the enthusiastic reefers there if you are not familiar with the goings and comings of shipment day.

Looks like whatever Iwarna does for their shipment day, there are always whiners and moaners who are unhappy with the situation. I guess they can never win. If it's not the Thais, then it's the shipment arrival time or the attitude of local reefers or not enough pails or maybe my alarm clock didn't ring.........

Come on they are running a business, it is their right to dictate what should and can be done. If they do not allow reefers to unpack, let them decide. If they allow then by all means join into the chaos. On our part, if you want good stuff be there early, be quick and be proactive. If you didn't get it this time, wait for the next shipment. Victor didn't say this will be the last shipment what!!?!?! Also don't just stand around hoping that the good stuff will fall on your lap. Move in, get to know the reefers that are already unpacking and get stuck in. Nobody is going to bar you from opening the boxes or putting your hand into the "reserved tank". Geez! Go enjoy yourself during shipment, it's supposed to be enjoyable. Else I don't see any point in going for the shipment then.

Also branding reefers that are wearing the T-shirts of a certain forum as acting like hyenas are totally uncalled for and in my mind, unacceptable. We, as reefers, are a small community here. We practically know each other either by face, or by name or by nick. So don't let the affinity to different forums spoil the way the hobby should be appreciated. You yourself, if I'm not wrong, are also a Mod in a local forum, so I feel you should be more objective when describing the management of another forum. You wouldn't want people using another forum to question the management of your forum right???

Guess we have to be a bit more tolerant in our approach towards this hobby bearing in mind this is still just a hobby.

BTW still have nice SPS (pink pocci, pink polyp monti and others), LPS (lobos and moon corals) and lots of zoos (were not open when I was there, but I heard they are nice).

All the shipments of iwarna is like that since day 1. The old birds will help out to unpack the frags as there are too many pieces. Auntie and victor cannot possibly upack them asap. To be considerate, we help out in unpacking. How long have u been in reefing, is this the first time u encounter this? This should be a culture shock to u. ;)

Where yesterday i was there. Only few of us help in unpacking where the rest just eye power and wait for things to happen(unpack). Instead of complaining of not getting the good stuff, ppl can help to unpack, also meanwhile they can get what they want.

The pieces in the reserve tank are not really that great as they are very common pieces where most of us already had 1 in our tank. We just take what we wanted. The gems are still in the non reserved tank where most of us dun appreciate. an example is the pink monti.

If ppl wanna take a look at reserve tank, no issues at all. Ask and it will be given to them. BTW, we don't crowd there at all times. The pieces are duplicates where the non reserved tank also has it.

Totally Agree with Kimaru. normally people put what they like in the reserve tank and when other reefers ask, they will be allowed "Entry" The only problem is that most reefers mouth got gold. Dont like to ask. So like that, they say poeple hog the tank. I'm super sure that if u open your mouth and ask, everyone will allow u to look.

Also agree with Rav that during a shipment. People sure Kan Cheong and cheong. Hence, may not really think of their actions during the cheonging. But for yesterday, i think i saw what started the "gang" as jervismun quoted, start their reserve tank. I saw a fellow reefer telling his friend what a nice soft coral a particular colony was, then one bro there suddenly snatch away the colony and say its his. Then this reefer stun ah, but he let this go, then saw another nice piece, then the same eefer took away the piece also. Think that's what caused group to start taking what they like and puitting in the tank to prevent reefers like the bro i've mentioned from snatching away the coral. I'm sure for every action, there is a reaction. I'm not sure who's the reefer that snatched the corals away but i know that he was waering a blue long sleeved shirt yesterday.

And as for Fingerpointing, i'm not sure what u mean by pointing to another forum? i firmly believe that another forum has nothing to do with this so called arguement. They should not even been included in this debate in the first place. Actually, if u track back, u should know who started this fuss in the first place. I believe its some bro who is quite sore about not getting what he wanted from this shipment. All i have to say is that, pls grow up. No reefer would also get what he wants. It all depends on luck.

Another food for thought. Do to to others what u want others to do to you. By taking an eye for an eye does not solve the problem. It only elevates the problem and makes it even worst. I'm also sure that the "gang" has read this thread and also feel ashamed for themselves. I'm sure that they would take a step back and look at the situation and feel bad. So let just let this matter rest. Many many more shipments to come in which u can get the corals that u want. No need to be crying over spilled milk.

Just my comments on this matter. :peace:

No prom, what already juz said ask as it will be granted. ;)

No matter SRC/another forum, we are still as 1(marine hobbyist). Lets not wage war against ourselves. :peace:

Yeah... bro I will PM you the next time shipments come... I realised that's the only way to go around here... I will be a good gang member (and I do not own any Polo-Ts) :lol::lol::lol: \

War over this small matter? As you guys put it... it has always been like this... so why am I stirring up so much interests here? You guys should've gotten used to this issue by now... furthermore this is part of the fun (I guess)

Nope, I'm not sour-grape... I manage to buy a few pieces... but would appreciate to do it in a more peaceful manner ;)

Thanks all the bros for your kind interests in this matter... I will contact Irwana to find out the truth :lol:

Totally Agree with Kimaru. normally people put what they like in the reserve tank and when other reefers ask, they will be allowed "Entry" The only problem is that most reefers mouth got gold. Dont like to ask. So like that, they say poeple hog the tank. I'm super sure that if u open your mouth and ask, everyone will allow u to look.

Also agree with Rav that during a shipment. People sure Kan Cheong and cheong. Hence, may not really think of their actions during the cheonging. But for yesterday, i think i saw what started the "gang" as jervismun quoted, start their reserve tank. I saw a fellow reefer telling his friend what a nice soft coral a particular colony was, then one bro there suddenly snatch away the colony and say its his. Then this reefer stun ah, but he let this go, then saw another nice piece, then the same eefer took away the piece also. Think that's what caused group to start taking what they like and puitting in the tank to prevent reefers like the bro i've mentioned from snatching away the coral. I'm sure for every action, there is a reaction. I'm not sure who's the reefer that snatched the corals away but i know that he was waering a blue long sleeved shirt yesterday.

And as for Fingerpointing, i'm not sure what u mean by pointing to another forum? i firmly believe that another forum has nothing to do with this so called arguement. They should not even been included in this debate in the first place. Actually, if u track back, u should know who started this fuss in the first place. I believe its some bro who is quite sore about not getting what he wanted from this shipment. All i have to say is that, pls grow up. No reefer would also get what he wants. It all depends on luck.

Another food for thought. Do to to others what u want others to do to you. By taking an eye for an eye does not solve the problem. It only elevates the problem and makes it even worst. I'm also sure that the "gang" has read this thread and also feel ashamed for themselves. I'm sure that they would take a step back and look at the situation and feel bad. So let just let this matter rest. Many many more shipments to come in which u can get the corals that u want. No need to be crying over spilled milk.

Just my comments on this matter. :peace:

cool bro.i like the way you put it.frankly i think that this is a case of sour grapes.

Yeah... bro I will PM you the next time shipments come... I realised that's the only way to go around here... I will be a good gang member (and I do not own any Polo-Ts) :lol::lol::lol: \

War over this small matter? As you guys put it... it has always been like this... so why am I stirring up so much interests here? You guys should've gotten used to this issue by now... furthermore this is part of the fun (I guess)

Nope, I'm not sour-grape... I manage to buy a few pieces... but would appreciate to do it in a more peaceful manner ;)

Thanks all the bros for your kind interests in this matter... I will contact Irwana to find out the truth :lol:

BTW, i am not in yesterday's gang. I am always solo. I am not that high profile as i am always inactive in forums. For me, i only buy 1 or 2 pieces as my tank is small. I just enjoy helping out during shipments. In ur life, when u gonna handle so much corals at 1 time? That only happens during shipment day! Thats my interest. :paiseh:

Do to to others what u want others to do to you. By taking an eye for an eye does not solve the problem. It only elevates the problem and makes it even worst.

I agree with you bro... perhaps I'm just being to naive and inexperienced in such circumstances... have to also agree that the problems will get worst... even without the Thais we are already like that... imagine with the Thais... ;) Probably Irwana needs to find a better way to handle the situation...

I'm sure you guys remember Qeueing for "Bak Kwa" during CNY... that's why they have Qs you see... or else surely go Police Station :P

I really hope I got a chance to see the Thais in action next time :)

Bro. i thought that this debate arouse because u said thet the "gang" is a very bad example. Why are u now joining the the dark side? Thought u are preeching about being the angel and courtesy and etc etc, But not, instead of setting a good example for your preeching, u are going against it? Really underminds your integrity. :erm:

Anyway I need to get out of town for 2 days... will come back and read more... no hard feelings... I'm not the only one... I'm just the more verbal one... cheers :)

Well anyway, the situation at the shipments were always almost the same since it began with the night cheongings.

Yes, we do want to look out for nice specimens and when we do so, we'll most probably put them in a tank and ask someone to "reserve it first" (there's limited pails ok?) :lol:

But by doing so, we must also be considerate and not just put all into our "reserve tanks" and then pick out the few nice ones. Instead, we should pick out the ones we are most likely to buy and then place them in the reserves.

In fact, some of us go in small groups and we help each other out but if we are considerate, we know what can be done and what should not be done.

Just a little suggestion for the upcoming shipments ;)

nice to see u back....

well..another suggestion to add..why not they (the staff), "CLOSED SHOP" unpack all these corals, then allow us in with no spare tanks... just like PR...

problem solve.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.