New Public Marine Tank at Hougang Mall

cdckjn

• SRC Member

There is a new Public Marine Tank on display with 3 Toshiba Plasma TV Set on display. It is filled with 2 lemonpeel tang, 1 podwer blue, several large angel fishes, several small damsels, 1 firefish, and lot of others (I don't konw how to idenify them)

Will post pictures is anyone interested.

It's nice to see more and more public tanks appearing :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Personally I think public tanks with Plasma/LCD advertising screens is a good thing... at least you can be sure that the glass panels and water clarity are well taken care...

I went to Atria last 2 weeks and was quite disappointed by the state of their tank... the water is :sick::sick::sick: and I don't think their fishes very happy lor :o ... because their advertising method is to paste stickers from the outside, so the yellowish water will not affect the advertisement...

It's all about pressure from the advertisers... more pressure = cleaner tanks :lol:

And the Singapore Airlines PPS Lounge at Paragon is in quite a sorry state too ;) A few of their fishes all "kena" rotting disease :(

Disclaimer: IMHO only hor :heh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
:lol::lol::lol: now nid to put disclaimer to avoid those flame throwers

niwae would love to see the pics at hougang mall... thanks in advance

Flame Throwers: No fear. No physical pain.

Defamation Suit: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid.

Anyway, we have to be responsible for what we say.

Pictures: Will try to post if no other bros beat me to it.

• SRC Member

Ok, sorry for the delay, here are some pictures that I just taken the other day. If you go today and see, you will se most of the green algae been eaten by the fishes, some of the zoos becoming smaller and things are settling down.

post-34-1151648188.jpg

Cool! The mounting of the LCD Screens are neater than the Sunctec ones :lol: Nice to see marine tanks appearing in public spaces... very very inspiring especially for the younger generations :lol:

• SRC Member
wah lao almost everyday go there also never notice, tomolo go see :whistle

It is located on the basement 1 at the new extension. Take the new escalator down (next to Macdonalds). The tank is at the other side of the wall of the escalator.

• SRC Member

Seen the tank last weekend. Huge tank, est abt 6-7 ft (L) by 3-4 ft (H) by 1ft (W)...still wondering how they do the landscaping and maintenance though...

But many corals not doing very well and tank temp quite warm leh...maybe 'cos of heat emitted from plasmas with no chiller?? (guessing only..)

Saw many large and small angels, golden travelly, anthias, a few tangs, cardinals, blue/yellow damsels...one blueface angel was nipping at the zoos...some fishes looked quite sick also... :(

But definitely attracted alot of shoppers looking at it...

It is definitely not easy to maintain a public tank like this... I hope the organizer will not allocate budget (for the maintenance of the tank) based on the performance of the advertisements sold on those LCD TVs... or else... jialat lor... one month got good food... next month starving :(

Even the La Mer (luxury cosmetic counter at Tang's and Robinsons) keep downgrading and downsizing... they not totally eliminate corals and go with FOWLR instead... the Singapore Airlines PPS Lounge @ Paragon and Atria's tank also not doing too well :(

I have not been to Underwater World for a while now... maybe pay them a visit.

• SRC Member
Seen the tank last weekend. Huge tank, est abt 6-7 ft (L) by 3-4 ft (H) by 1ft (W)...still wondering how they do the landscaping and maintenance though...

But many corals not doing very well and tank temp quite warm leh...maybe 'cos of heat emitted from plasmas with no chiller?? (guessing only..)

Saw many large and small angels, golden travelly, anthias, a few tangs, cardinals, blue/yellow damsels...one blueface angel was nipping at the zoos...some fishes looked quite sick also... :(

But definitely attracted alot of shoppers looking at it...

I went there again to check the size, I think it is actually a 10ft tank. I compare that with the floor tiles - there are 5 pieces of that ;) therefore each piece 24inch - total - :lol: 10ft. I agree that the soft corals are almost gone, the fishes a few don't look too good, the angels still ok. Hope that the tank is properly maintain. The temperature is quite high sometimes due to the recent hot weather. if not the aircon is quite stromg and sufficient to cool the water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Update on the tank guys.

It's a graveyard.

The PBT died, Angels are mostly all gone (blue lips, majestic, blue face) And the koran is struggling to stay alive, apparently can see that it got some kind of disease. Surprisely even the YT are starting to die off.

The blue sponges are also disintegrating..

I feel sad for the person who is paying for all the causalties..

• SRC Member
Update on the tank guys.

It's a graveyard.

The PBT died, Angels are mostly all gone (blue lips, majestic, blue face) And the koran is struggling to stay alive, apparently can see that it got some kind of disease. Surprisely even the YT are starting to die off.

The blue sponges are also disintegrating..

I feel sad for the person who is paying for all the causalties..

That's sad!

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png