Hormoned food

Is there any hormone added food available in Singapore stores? My housemate is visiting Singapore and will be returning here in August to continue his studies. I have asked him to see if he can get me some and bring it back with him. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Most hormone added fish food has basically the same effect on most fish. I have no specific species in mind but I am looking for flake or pellet food that has hormones added (probably a synthetic testosterone). I have a large tank (125) that I keep only male cichlids (non breeders) in and I would like to have them achieve full color without having to add females to the tank. I want to start with them and then if it works try it on some of my other fish. I have read that there are some fish foods with these additives that are available in Australia as well as some South East Asian countries. I thought my friend might be able to bring something back to the US that I can't get here.

57 views and no help? A simple reply that you don't have anything like this, or simply never seen it, would have been appreciated and would have helped immensely. Now my friend has left Singapore and will return to school in the United States. I guess I was mistaken in looking to this forum for assistance.

• SRC Member

Hi Ghoti,

Hormones are not the staple in marine food, many if not all feed manufacturers have made a move to hormone free foods and products for a few years. Hormone feeds are not a everyday thing nowadays since overfeeding or prolong feedings have drastic side effects.

Hormones temporarily impair immune function leaving the fish exposed to the various parasites and diseases.

Hormones will affect the livers, causing flatu-lent abdomens,and sometimes faded

colours.

If you do want to use it you will need to visit the vet as its not available off the shelf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract:

Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management Publisher: Taylor & Francis Issue: Volume 4, Number 3 / September 01, 2001 Pages: 275 – 282

Zebrafish were exposed from pre-blastula stage until sexual maturation to either standardised water (controls), 17a-methyltestosterone (1, 10 wg l-1) or 17b-estradiol (1, 10 wg l-1). Exposure to both concentrations of 17bestradiol caused a significant feminisation, while a significant increase in the proportions of males was found after exposure to 1 mg 17a-methyltestosterone l-1

Furthermore, exposure to 1 and 10 mg 17a-methyltestosterone l-1 caused development of intersex individuals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to enhance colours of the males, it would be best to do it naturally by way of feeds - a high protein diet with an inclusion of a Carotene source like:

Canthaxanthin

Spirulina algae

Astaxanthin

Natural astaxanthin has been extensively tested and has demonstrated exceptional pigmentation of koi and tropicals (marine and fresh water).

Carotenoids pigments are responsible for the broad variety of colors in nature; most notable are the brilliant yellow, orange, and red colors of fruits, leaves, and aquatic animals. Among all of the numerous classes of natural colors, the carotenoids are the most widespread and structurally diverse pigmenting agents.

Astaxanthin and Spirulina are widely sold in the US and used in fish feeds, you may want to look into the discus feed range or how hobbyist and breeders make their own(who also fall under the cichlids category).