Why do Reefers quit?

asg

why you/ reefer quit?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. why you/ reefer quit?

• no time (work, home, personal, etc)
    • not enough money ($ better spend elsewhere)
    • lack of support (from family)
    • overseas posting/ shifting
    • no longer interested/ interest fade
    • reefing is tiring/ give up/ it is not what i expected
    • fish/ coral/ everything keeps mati-ing
    • other reason

• SRC Member

just trying to collect some data for the new comer so that they can know what to expect... for me i try quit twice due to house shifting...

the first one is unsucessful (i mean the quiting, not the house shifting)... second one...

cheers cheers cheers

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

i remember there is a time i need to shift to hall to stay ... so decide to close down a tank.cant possibly jaggar 2 area

start a tank in the hall.

after that shift back to home , also close down the tank =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

I almost wanted to quit about a year ago when my mom at times "helped" poor additives directly on my corals. . :cry:

There was a few times when she switched off the whole power to the circulating pump and everything else when she knows she only needs to switch off the lights. Needless to say, my tank became a graveyard the next morning. Best thing was she said not her fault, somemore ask me why my tank looks so ugly. :nc:

• SRC Member
I almost wanted to quit about a year ago when my mom at times "helped" poor additives directly on my corals. . :cry:

There was a few times when she switched off the whole power to the circulating pump and everything else when she knows she only needs to switch off the lights. Needless to say, my tank became a graveyard the next morning. Best thing was she said not her fault, somemore ask me why my tank looks so ugly. :nc:

:P:P does she know the price of the coral then???

maybe you can tell her the price * 10, i think it is enough to stop her from helping you... :P:P

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

stopped for a period of abt 3-4yrs when shifted house and my kids were learning to walk n pulling n tugging at everything available...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Tank crash few months b4 NS . No driving licence hard to go LCK . Most imptly . All that k's of $$ gone . now its LPS for life . Give up with SPS . might as well keep coloured rocks

( woohoo that is my opinion . dont flame )

• SRC Member

To be honest, most of the time its a combination of multiple reasons for ppl to give up a certain hobby. If I rem correctly, there was a similar thread sometime back and the most common reasons are time & $$.

For myself, I've de-com my mix-reef due to moving.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member

No money.

No time.

No space.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 8 years later...
  • SRC Member

Digging up an old topic of mine after chatting with a nice reefer yesterday. How true, 8 eights might have passed since this thread but most newbies wont make it passed the one year mark...

I supposed this is one frequent question we ask ourselves and other reefer.

Been reefing for a good 5 years but the feeling of decom still come across my mine at times lol.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

I stopped a decade ago due to health reasons i.e. surgery due to back injury, and never knew I would actually one day come back to reefing. I must admit due to the latest technological advances e.g. LEDs, it has become more rewarding to successfully maintain a marine aquarium.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Having a chiller running in the living room is a unpleasant moment as specially while watching tv. :cry: It was a major down side of this hobby imo.

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

In my personal opinion , one have to read up a lot abou a proper reef tank set up, moreover for a reasonable good reef tank more for coral - one have to standby a sum of money to buy good & reliable equipment with any sgreefclub senior reefer advice & guidance for a stable setup , if budget constraint at times u might not be able to have good setup thus this may lead to unstablities in the water parameter as newbie tends to buy & buy ... When bio load gets higher , water parameter worsen , then coral not opening , fishes starts to die , then passion for the reefing may fades slowly .... I'm lucky , many experts here willing to teach me .... 5 months newbie still going strong ... Haha ...

• SRC Member

In my personal opinion , one have to read up a lot abou a proper reef tank set up, moreover for a reasonable good reef tank more for coral - one have to standby a sum of money to buy good & reliable equipment with any sgreefclub senior reefer advice & guidance for a stable setup , if budget constraint at times u might not be able to have good setup thus this may lead to unstablities in the water parameter as newbie tends to buy & buy ... When bio load gets higher , water parameter worsen , then coral not opening , fishes starts to die , then passion for the reefing may fades slowly .... I'm lucky , many experts here willing to teach me .... 5 months newbie still going strong ... Haha ...

I believe time contraints, endless $ and the heartbreake of LS dying are three main factors. If three strikes together then it will be tough...
  • Like 1

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Having a chiller running in the living room is a unpleasant moment as specially while watching tv. :cry: It was a major down side of this hobby imo.

Urgh... i did not find my budget hailea 28a any noiser than a standalone fan at 3 power

@Sept 2014

I start 7 yrs ago went I was new babies .im a clownfish lover, but just started my tank and my clownfish die 1 after another, even I ask advise from fish shop. Still same dead after another until I very sian. Aft many month we happen to know a very nice hk reefer and he guide me along. And also another super nice uncle from reborn fish shop, he teach us how to take care of the water so my clownfish wont die so easy. My water become better and fish is alive and im so happy, on that month itself we went for hoiliday come back all dead again. So I decided to give up. We start back our clownfish 1 yr back. This forum is good to share and learn from each other

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Havent start one.. But i realise the more i read and count... I felt like not stepping in. But i have been logging in daily to see all the bros n sis beautiful tank which still pulls me into it. Till now still undecided between a 3ft or a nano. Partially due to opex and holiday reason.

I quitted once after I move house as no space to house a 5ft tank. Then I move again and finally decided to go back to the hobby again. For me, the 2 most challenging factor for this hobby is lack of space and lack of time. However once a marine hobbyist, always a marine hobbyist...will someday go back again. The draw of this hobby is too strong