Hailea 1/2HP HC500A Chiller

nakazoru

• SRC Member

So far so good i guess. . . hopefully i am not stressing out the 1/2 hp chiller. Anyway i set my temperature at 27 degrees, how about you? i am thinking of increasing it to 28 degrees so that the chiller dun have to work so hard. . :)

Bro AcidJazz

I set at 26 deg...

Anyway my chiller dun really work that hard, as it is for only 40G... 1-2 hrs kicks in for 15mins... Your tank need the chiller to work harder.

Anyway, how long it runs for each kick-in?

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro AcidJazz

I set at 26 deg...

Anyway my chiller dun really work that hard, as it is for only 40G... 1-2 hrs kicks in for 15mins... Your tank need the chiller to work harder.

Anyway, how long it runs for each kick-in?

i estimated the kick in time is about half an hour to 45 min. . .

As long as the ratio between standby time and kick in time is 1-1, its still quite fair. The chiller wld be underperforming if the kick in time is more than the standby time.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• 3 weeks later...
any update on the chiller? :lol:

Chiller still working fine. . . . no issues as yet. I added a separate refugim. . which is 2x1x2 ft, so tank volume will increase by some percentage. Will update accordingly.

In comparison with Resun 1/2 model, the Hailea 1/2 model is extremely silent. Observation made when me and another reefer visited someone's hse and his Resun chiller sound like an airplane taking off. . . :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

• SRC Member

Chiller still working fine. . . . no issues as yet. I added a separate refugim. . which is 2x1x2 ft, so tank volume will increase by some percentage. Will update accordingly.

In comparison with Resun 1/2 model, the Hailea 1/2 model is extremely silent. Observation made when me and another reefer visited someone's hse and his Resun chiller sound like an airplane taking off. . . :lol:

have u try set it to 26??

have u try set it to 26??

Nope i didnt. 27 degrees is fine with me. I dun wan to stress the chiller out.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Care to share what the chilling time like? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

TK, the ratio is 1:1. Kick in for one hour, stop for one hour.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• Moderators

Hi quick check with you folks, is the temp controller set to +/- 1 deg C or it can be set to +/- 2 deg C?

My understanding is that chiller are designed to run for a longer period of time then stop rather then kick in and out in short frequency as the frequent start/stop will "kill" the chiller faster.

Any chiller expert out there can help verify if what if this theory I said is incorrect or correct?

Tom

Hi quick check with you folks, is the temp controller set to +/- 1 deg C or it can be set to +/- 2 deg C?

My understanding is that chiller are designed to run for a longer period of time then stop rather then kick in and out in short frequency as the frequent start/stop will "kill" the chiller faster.

Any chiller expert out there can help verify if what if this theory I said is incorrect or correct?

Hi, for the Hailea chiller its set to +/- 1 degrees.

The theory that u propose is correct, but take note that the excessive fuctuations in temperature is unhealthy. Eg, imagine u're in a room and the temp keep fluctuating up and down every 2 hours. . :)

The start/stop will not kill the chiller, only ur electrical bills. . :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Is that considered usual for the chiller to kick in that often? I am no expert so just asking.

As long as the ratio is at least 1:1, still consider healthy. Of cuz it wld be better if ur chiller kick in for one hour and stop for 2-3 hours.

Bad scenario wld be ur chiller kick in for 4 hours and stop for 1 hour.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• Moderators

Hi, for the Hailea chiller its set to +/- 1 degrees.

The theory that u propose is correct, but take note that the excessive fuctuations in temperature is unhealthy. Eg, imagine u're in a room and the temp keep fluctuating up and down every 2 hours. . :)

The start/stop will not kill the chiller, only ur electrical bills. . :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!

Thomas

Tom

• 1 month later...

Just want to know if the chiller coil is titanium. ;):thanks:

3.5ft X 2 ft X 2.5 ft

Deltec Protein Skimmer AP 600 - Eheim Compact 1000

Deltec - NF 509

Teco RA 640 Chiller - Aqua-Bee UP 2000i Aquarium Pump

Aqua-Bee UP 7000 Aquarium Pump - return

Skimz Fluidized Reactor- Aqua-Bee UP 2000 tee off to NF 509 and CR

DE Lightings 8 x 39watts

Turbelle stream Kit TS07

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Guys;

Didn't expect to revisit the review after some 8 mths of using this chiller.

While the chiller is still running fine, I finally did a maintenance of the air filter and clean up the dust within the chiller.

What I discovered was that the compressor was not Mitshibushi made but a HuaYi compressor from China. Also I did not really see titanium coil but copper like coil at compressor and radiator fin. Cannot be certain if the titanium coil is in the evaporator...

I re-read the instruction manual but found no mention of Mitshibushi compressor or titanium coil. Look up Hailea web also did not mention.

While I'm still please with the chiller, potential buyer/owner should take note of the two mis-information.

Cheers

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

hiii.

am really happy to find someone to get a bit of details regarding the Haelia Chillers. :lol:

I was at aquarama 2007 last week and purchased a Haelia HC 100A (not 150A).

this cost me 285SGD. :erm:

It is a 1/20 HP chiller

please please can someone give me details. :cry:

how much water quantity will it cool?

what is the power it uses?

was 285 S$ too much for it ? I read the posts here and think i have been cheated :cry::cry:

my reef is 80Liters. how long must the chiller run to cool from 31C to 26C

i use 80W of tubes and 50 W of pump.

mucho thanks

Ranji

• SRC Member
hiii.

am really happy to find someone to get a bit of details regarding the Haelia Chillers. :lol:

I was at aquarama 2007 last week and purchased a Haelia HC 100A (not 150A).

this cost me 285SGD. :erm:

It is a 1/20 HP chiller

please please can someone give me details. :cry:

how much water quantity will it cool?

what is the power it uses?

was 285 S$ too much for it ? I read the posts here and think i have been cheated :cry::cry:

my reef is 80Liters. how long must the chiller run to cool from 31C to 26C

i use 80W of tubes and 50 W of pump.

mucho thanks

Ranji

Feel Cheated?

Why should you? 285 is really not that expensive to warrant it cheating.

I was at Aquarama 2007 too, and I bet those chinese national sales person did not mention anything about compressor or titanium coil.

On the duration where the chiller to chill from 31 to 26 for your 80l tank, it is estimated on a graph in the manual. My guess will be 45mins to 1 hrs.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
Hi Guys;

What I discovered was that the compressor was not Mitshibushi made but a HuaYi compressor from China. Also I did not really see titanium coil but copper like coil at compressor and radiator fin. Cannot be certain if the titanium coil is in the evaporator...

I re-read the instruction manual but found no mention of Mitshibushi compressor or titanium coil. Look up Hailea web also did not mention.

While I'm still please with the chiller, potential buyer/owner should take note of the two mis-information.

Cheers

Did you measure the copper level in the tank? Copper is easily corroded so it is very bad for marine if it is corroded internally.

Or this copper pipe has nothing to do with the saltwater flowing internally?

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Copper would corrode very badly in saltwater. It won't last for a month or two. Actually some manufacturers use coated copper pipes to cut cost. Hailea and Resun both use titanium coils, its a matt silvery metal. Just saw Hailea selling at Nature and Petmart anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Aloha

Im new could you kindly give me the address and website were u bought ur chiller fromas I looked under aquamarin Aquatic pets 7 they don't have the chiller listed

many Thanks

warmest Aloha

Horst

You can also try the below shop at Boon Keng. They carry the chiller as well.

They had been around for many years now. So no worries abt the warranty. ;)

System & Control Engineering Co. aka Bioplast

#01-23, BLK 22 Boon Keng Rd.

Singapore 330022

Tel: 2964916, 2964919

Tom

You can also try the below shop at Boon Keng. They carry the chiller as well.

They had been around for many years now. So no worries abt the warranty. ;)

System & Control Engineering Co. aka Bioplast

#01-23, BLK 22 Boon Keng Rd.

Singapore 330022

Tel: 2964916, 2964919

thanks a million for the Info

warmest Aloha

Horst