What's wrong with my water parameter?

lyz77

• SRC Member

What will consititute to KH drop?

My Ca is 450ppm, Mg is 1440ppm and PH is ard 8.07 to 8.24. I need to dose KH buffer every 3-4 days in order to maintain my KH at ard 9-10 dKH.

Pls advise! :thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi Lyz77

Your SPS will consititute to a drop in KH,

For every 1 calcium molecule, 2 molecules of carbonate are used to build calcium carbonate skeletons. So it is only natural dkh will drop faster than calcium.

Coralline algae will also contribute to these needs.

Your parameters are fine - dosing alkalinity buffers twice a week for a tank with sps is quite ok.

In a perfect world or in a tank with just water and no living things:

For calcium at 450ppm the equal parameters for Mg is X3(1350ppm) and 4.5meg/L(12.6dkh). But as every tank's uptake differ according to its inhabitants and corals. you are well within the optimum range.

Calcium- pH 8.0-8.3 / Cal 400ppm-450ppm / kh 3.0-4.5meg/l(8-12dkh)/ mg 1200-1440

You don't mention the use of a calcium reactor but use Hydrocarbonate (as substrate?) usually used as reactor media. Even with calcium reactors you will come across people dosing alkalinity & calcium buffers because it really does depend on individual bioloads and needs.

Natural surface seawater has a reading of around dkh6.72(2.4meg/l), so there's nothing wrong.

• SRC Member
Hi Lyz77

Your SPS will consititute to a drop in KH,

For every 1 calcium molecule, 2 molecules of carbonate are used to build calcium carbonate skeletons. So it is only natural dkh will drop faster than calcium.

Coralline algae will also contribute to these needs.

Your parameters are fine - dosing alkalinity buffers twice a week for a tank with sps is quite ok.

In a perfect world or in a tank with just water and no living things:

For calcium at 450ppm the equal parameters for Mg is X3(1350ppm) and 4.5meg/L(12.6dkh). But as every tank's uptake differ according to its inhabitants and corals. you are well within the optimum range.

Calcium- pH 8.0-8.3 / Cal 400ppm-450ppm / kh 3.0-4.5meg/l(8-12dkh)/ mg 1200-1440

You don't mention the use of a calcium reactor but use Hydrocarbonate (as substrate?) usually used as reactor media. Even with calcium reactors you will come across people dosing alkalinity & calcium buffers because it really does depend on individual bioloads and needs.

Natural surface seawater has a reading of around dkh6.72(2.4meg/l), so there's nothing wrong.

Thks for your valuable info! :thanks:

Your tank parameter already very optimum... what r u using to bring up your KH?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Your tank parameter already very optimum... what r u using to bring up your KH?

Salifert KH buffer!

But soon, I won't need to dose KH manually liao except during routine water change! :heh: