Ferrous Sulphate (FeSO4)

nakazoru

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Bought this chemical today, uses for effluent water treatment. It has been tested in fresh water aquarium removes phosphate and other impurities.

Wanted to try on marine, found one article that is used. Amaze with the results but it warns that it cannot be use with kalkwasser... :( So I abolish the experiment... Lucky me...

Case Study

This is an interesting work, and mention the good of Fe (iron) as additive.

Open Sea Experiment

Wonder why no commercial Fe additive....

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Ferrous Sulphate is used in the medicine industry as ###### iron supplements, but usually iron tablets also contain Manganese Sulphate and Copper Sulphate. It is not as efficient as the FE products on the market today.

Ferrous Sulphate is also used as a Fe plant nutrient supplement or fertilizer.

As a chemical, if it can be used will bond with phosphate and will need to be siphoned out of the aquarium(or removed somehow).

Iron media available are granular ferric oxide (GFO) or Granular ferric hydroxide (GFH):

symbol=Fe2O3 . Their working range is between pH2.5 to 12.5

They were developed primarily for arsenic removal in water and is employed in water treatment plants around the world(In fixed bed filters). In high pH ranges it was found that Phosphate and Silica interferred with arsenic adsorption hence how it found its way into the hobby as a PO4 removal media.

It is the crystaline structure of the GFO that helps in higher adsorption rates and can be used with kalkwasser dosing.

Once PO4 has adsorb into/onto the media- you just change to new media. It is safe to throw the old media away as GFO conforms to landfill standards around the world.

hope this helps :)

• SRC Member

I dose the half teaspoon of FeSO4 into my QT to see what happens last night, which I dun dose kalkwasser. The water became misty, cloudy and then orange brown in colour. This morning, residual precipitation on to the aquarium surfaces in form of orange brown color particle, which is easily siphon out, but only those you can see.

I have snail, tube worms and zoos in the QT and the all survive the test. They close up initially as I assume to be fluctuation in the PH. After a while it just reopens.

As I do know that it reduces silica, phosphate and some other stuff, I did not use test kit for the test to monitor, but just to see the reaction of the tank to the dosing. 1/2 a teaspoon will effectively reduces PO4 from 3ppm to 1 ppm of my QT, calculation/assumption. It will be good if someone can loan me a silica/PO4 test kit...

Hi Bro Baywater,

Thanks for pointing out the granular hydroxide of Fe reagent. I read abt it but does not know the chemical compound for it. But I believe that it is similar to Rowaphos/PhosGuard to a certain extend. Can't remember if they are Fe or Zn...

Of course end of the day, it is still a cost issue. While rowaphos cost abt $35 for 250ml. The FeSO4 I bought cost $10 for a open old stock fo 1 kg. New one cost $20. And use only 1 teaspoon max each time bi-weekly. This I must say is significant reduction and added benefit of Fe additive. Maybe it really can be use for aquarium with calcium reactor if a effective way to remove the resudue precipitated.

One idea I have is that if I can treat the monthly water change with FeSO4 and recycle the water. Then no need to always mix salt liao...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.