Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

Which "secret" are you referring to? If that one... in 2 weeks... if the other one... very soon :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected... NO2 dropped... NO3 on the rise... :)

KH is at a comfortable level of 9dKh

Sorry no pix today... will post some tomorrow :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

seems that the cycle is going steady..

all the best!

Thanks Jem... yes everything is going according to plan... now the challenge is to see if the NO3 will continue to build (currently 10ppm)... but I do have a decom AquaMedic NR1000 Nitratreductor on standby... can fire up within 1 hour :lol:

More pix will come today... sorry for my laziness :bow:

Latest parameters (partial):

NO2: 0.1ppm

NO3: 10ppm

Redox (ORP): 380mV

pH: 7.9 - 8.1

Temperature: 26.5ºC - 27ºC

Things are looking fine really... and it shows on my corals :P

post-34-1162263447.jpg

Just wanna share with you guys the procedure of transferring the corals from my home tank...

I pack them in clear plastic bags, preferably double-layer to avoid leakage. Since my travel time is around 30 minutes, I try to minimize the amount of water. Corals of the same family will be packed together... for example my 2 Yumas in the picture.

I will soak the bags in my sump for around 30 minutes to sync the temperature. This is a crucial step especially for cold water tanks... mine set at 26.5ºC - 27.5ºC... that means my tank water can easily be 2ºC cooler than the water in the bags.

And please... recycle the bags :lol:

post-34-1162264912.jpg

Quickly pour them out into a plastic container... as you can see my Yumas are not entirely clean... all the macroalgaes should be removed unless you have starving predators in the tank waiting to feed on these algaes :unsure:

It's amazing how stable my Yumas are... they are still opening up like nobody's business :shock:

post-34-1162265098.jpg

Lots of hitchikers to remove... some Zoas... BUBBLE ALGAE is bad :sick:

Now I am confident to introduce my Yumas into my tank... remember to do this entire exercise as swiftly as possible to minimize heat absorption back into the water :heh:

post-34-1162267683.jpg

Time to feature some corals... my 9-month old Tridacna Crocea... manage to take a shot of it closed (seconds upon switching on the light)... its shell is infested with hitchikers... experienced bros out there... any reason for me to remove them off its shells?

The 20000ºK is really blue and mysterious :ph34r:

post-34-1162268814.jpg

use a pen knife and scrape it off?

I am just wondering if it will affect the clam or it's just part of nature... :nc:

its just a shell mahz.. dun think it wil affect it much..

Yeah I got a feeling it is not affecting the clam much as it is opening up fine... but will keep monitoring it :)

Very busy at work these days... no time for updating but what the heck... my FIRST partial FTS with corals :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Some of my corals are still in a remote holding location... will transfer another batch of corals tomorrow :)

post-34-1162282057.jpg

This Pink Gonio really gave me a lot of confidence... upon 1 day of introduction it is already opening better than my home tank... if you ask me... I will give credit to:

1) The new salt water (as to compared to my home tank which I seldom change)

2) The TWIN TURBO FR running a large amount of PO4 remover and activated carbon

3) The ATI Bubble Master... been running it for weeks now :)

post-34-1162283180.jpg

• SRC Member

I have a bad feeling abt those algae. Althought scrape off they might still grow. So far have not seen any LS be it fishes or snails eating them. Bryopsis. Have a problem with them too. If u found out any ways of extracting them do inform. Not a good thing to intro into ur tank as u have witness the speed they grow. Wonder if halloween hermit will eat them as iantoh have experience.

I have a bad feeling abt those algae. Althought scrape off they might still grow. So far have not seen any LS be it fishes or snails eating them. Bryopsis. Have a problem with them too. If u found out any ways of extracting them do inform. Not a good thing to intro into ur tank as u have witness the speed they grow. Wonder if halloween hermit will eat them as iantoh have experience.

Yes I read from a book Halloween hermits (among others) will consume them... but again it really depends on the amount of hermits you have in your tank in order to have sufficient cleaning power :lol:

For me, I will be introducing a Rabbitfish (Foxfish) very soon as I read from many sources (and from reefers) they are the best algae controllers... grazing a wide range of algaes from hair to bubble. Will update you guys on my findings :)

• SRC Member

Yes I read from a book Halloween hermits (among others) will consume them... but again it really depends on the amount of hermits you have in your tank in order to have sufficient cleaning power :lol:

For me, I will be introducing a Rabbitfish (Foxfish) very soon as I read from many sources (and from reefers) they are the best algae controllers... grazing a wide range of algaes from hair to bubble. Will update you guys on my findings :)

Yes now i thinking abt rabbit fish (sting), yellow tang (might not eat) or halloween hermit ( difficult to find). But hope they eat.

For ur info

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...25&pagenumber=1

Yeah I got a feeling it is not affecting the clam much as it is opening up fine... but will keep monitoring it :)

Everything looking good!! Those gionos are gorgeous. Anyway, regarding the hitchhiker on the clam shell, they look like tunicates to me - filter feeders and looks like its not doing any harm to the clam. I will just leave them there. :D

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

Everything looking good!! Those gionos are gorgeous. Anyway, regarding the hitchhiker on the clam shell, they look like tunicates to me - filter feeders and looks like its not doing any harm to the clam. I will just leave them there. :D

:thanks: bro... yeah those Gonios is the my heart and soul :lol: Yeah I will leave them on the clam shells... :)

What a discovery... my HUGE LR is in fact a large dead Cup Coral :o A few polyps spotted... I must make sure they survive :erm:

post-34-1162291784.jpg

Emm... definitely wrong placement... I am still trying to understand the flow in my tank... well perhaps another 2 days :lol:

post-34-1162292178.jpg