DIY night lights

big_ben102000

• SRC Member

hi i wanna DIY a set of night ligths it will be integrated into my T5 light set.

i would like to knoe how many LEDs are needed , how much is will cost and other details that have to be taken into account when assembling them .. using it for my 3 X 1.5 X 1.5..

thanks ! :lol:

• SRC Member

hi there big ben,

thats quite alot of details bro! hahah :D

there are lots of different types and wattages for LED bulbs, and like everything else, they are not made equal. the osram 3w LEDs are accepted as the industries best and if youre able to get a hold of some of these, id definitely recommed them, though they cost alot more than the unbranded and unwarranted chiina made ones you can get for 30 cents each at sim lim square.

do go with the individual resistors rather than using self-insert biscuit boards because i find that the excessive humidity above our tanks causes salt creep and moisture issues inside the holes of the buscuit boards and rusts the wire pins of the LEDs. solder the pins down is best to prevent short-circuiting, flickering, and issues like one or two bulbs not lighting.

the amount of bulbs youll need depends on how widely apart you are able to accomodate them within your T5 light set, the wattage and intensity of your chosen LEDs, as well as how bright you wish the lighting effect to be, so you'll need to see the LEd set up of other bros or at sim lim tower to compare and decide how to proceed, because if you wish to see bright flourescence in the tissues of your corals, youd need alot of bulbs, whereas, if you just wanted to replicate a slight moonlight effect, a few would suffice.

cheers,

ian

ps: if youre able to get a dimmable e-ballast to power up one blue tube within your T5 light set, that might be way simpler and predictable manner to implement moon lighting.

• SRC Member

oops... i wrote that wrongly bros- not osram but phillips. their 3-watt Luxeon Emitter LEDs. but most luxeon star LEDs are pretty good, just that good LED bulbs cost alot, compared to the 30 cent types.

a good range of high intensity LEDs used to be available at the 5th storey of sim lim square, from this shop that displayed it at its store front, encased in clear acrylic tubes like the way LEDs are used in the asian civilization musem to light their exhibits, but i went recently and walked around in circles and lost my way without finding the shop, so im not sure, but there are also lots of small shops selling readily assembled LED boards at Sim lim tower that you can check out.

actually, i have a strip of i think 12 blue LEDs in an acylic tube that i purchased for $25 available if anyone's keen, as i am not able to mount it anywhere inside my light fixture as theres no space due to my recently added reflectors, so ive gotta think of another way. but if you guys are keen, sim lim tower basement sells the same one i have, and i bought this two weeks ago so it should still be available, but of course, not the super good bulbs.

• SRC Member

wA so so chim ... i got knowledge on electronics stuff from sec sch lar .. i took dnt so more or less knoe a LITTLE LITTLE LITTLE bit ... haha. i am not using curcuit board the amount of salt spray is amazing man. u would have to see to believe haha.. i am going for simple wiring. maybe using a strip of plastic drilled with small holes to hold the LEDs connected them with wires.. btw the 3w blubs does it need some kinda resistor to connect and stuff ? and does it run on batt. or do i have to connect to a adaptor to a power socket ? :unsure:

sorry i am totally noob at circuit connections :paiseh: .. i would prefer to have a system them runs on battery haha.. due to my super duper limited knowledge on circuitry dont wanna trip the whole house.. my parents will skin me alive..

i am actually using 4 tubes T5 with a casing .. so the LEDs are going between the tubes. it doesnt need to be intense, juz a normal enough to minic the moonlight. i juz love those lights :lol:

how many LEDs would u reco for the osram 3w LEDs or the unbrand china made ones ? (i might go with the china made ones if the osram one cost too much) and a resistor must be connected to every one of the LEDs ? how much will it probably cost ? juz a rough estimation

sorry for my noobiness :paiseh: