My Tank Water Super Smelly

Brian38

die off from the new rocks..

do u have any livestock inside ya tank?

the Live Rocks i bought 2 days ago still have some weeds on it, it also have some white slimy patch on it and i dont know whats that?

What should i do about it? should i leave it in the smelly water tank or take out? it really stink the whole of my living room :(

Please advise.

• SRC Member

its up to u whether u wanna do a water change or not..

yer tank has just restarted its ann cycle..

the cloudy water should clear in a day or two

make sure u adopt some mechanical filtration to remove the detritus.

circulation ard the tank gotta be sufficient too ..

if u cant stand the smell, u can do a partial water change

if u cannot tahan the smell , throw away the rocks and go to AM and pick up some cured rocks instead

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

the Live Rocks i bought 2 days ago still have some weeds on it, it also have some white slimy patch on it and i dont know whats that?

What should i do about it? should i leave it in the smelly water tank or take out? it really stink the whole of my living room :(

Please advise.

It that white patch looks like a spider web?

If it is, its rotten.Skimmer alone will not get rid also.

Suggest that you discard or take it out & put them under the sun.

It better to remove all macro algae also as they smell like rotten egg when they die as they do during running in period.

• SRC Member

yes agree with bro Bob's suggestion but during cycling, just be patient n bear with it.. do not in any situation be tempted to buy any livestks now ... Patience is the best virtue at the moment.. gd luck

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

It that white patch looks like a spider web?

If it is, its rotten.Skimmer alone will not get rid also.

Suggest that you discard or take it out & put them under the sun.

It better to remove all macro algae also as they smell like rotten egg when they die as they do during running in period.

yes yes it looks like a spider web. Will it totally die off when cycling the tank? or will it spread to the other rocks?

• SRC Member

i had that kind of rock when i was newbie.....just take out the rock and wash/brush out the white stuff.....then complete water change....

did not bake the rock under the sun though....if you not careful it will attract flys and all sort of unhealthy insects...... :sick:

• SRC Member

Smelled like rotten flesh right ? With seaweed still stuck to it ? Very sure it is un-cured rock.

the smell is due to dead living organism/crabs/worms......what-have-you in the rock.

Don't think you (or your family) can stand the smell. Really pungent.

I encountered before when I started marine. What you want to do as many had suggested is, since yuor tank still in cycling mode, take out the rock, do a hypo-salinity soak (higher salinity water to get any worms, crabs, hitch-hikers out of the rock) and use a brush and brush off anything stuck to it (including the seaweeds), then change about half the water in the tank and put the rock back to complete the cycling process.

Good luck.

• SRC Member

That's the fun of marine setup. Endure the smell. Add carbon. In a few days the smell will not be ard. It is part of the cycle. Do not throw away the LR unless u super rich. It will be a waste if the LR is of nice shape. Every building or place have it's banging and piling b4 it is beauitful. Even women going through plastic surgery have to go through some bandaging b4 it is remove to show ur beauty.

i tried to brush the surface of the live rock with those wash floor type of brush. toothbrush too small already,but not all of the mouldy stuff come off. its been 3 days and the smell of rotton egg is still there.

Will Live rock become rotten? anybody had experience handling this kind of rock? Please help.

i tried to brush the surface of the live rock with those wash floor type of brush. toothbrush too small already,but not all of the mouldy stuff come off. its been 3 days and the smell of rotton egg is still there.

Will Live rock become rotten? anybody had experience handling this kind of rock? Please help.

Bro, i've actually just started my tank just few months ago.

I had the same problem as you but not as bad the smel as yours, AM recmmended the active carbon, they say quite good, so since they are the expert, i try using them. So far it realy works ... smell removed liao

For the spider web, i also have lei, but since smell removed liao, i don't care lor, LR ex lei ... kekee :P

Now my LR slowly getting purple liao ...

U might wana try asking AM for the active carbon ... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

I think this is normal for uncured LR as there is a massive die-off of organism due to the long transport lead time from the sea to your house tank. Unfortunately, your tank is not mature enough to handle the bioload of dying off organism. I would suggest to leave it as the bacteria in your tank will multiply very quickly to handle the extra bioload. This is actually good way to cycle your tank. You may want to test your ammonia and nitrite, I'm not surprise the reading is off the chart.

After the smell goes away, and the ammonia, nitrite should drop to 0mg/l, you will need to do a complete water change (as the water may be full of nitrate or phosphate) before you introduce LS.

• SRC Member

I experienced what you are going through before. Even my neighbour complained about the smell. I can imagine what you/yuor family is going through.

Yes LR can go bad. If you did not treat it properly, the whole rock will turn black right to the core and crumbles when you hold it hard. Yucks :sick: .

What I suggest yuo do is to ensure you remove all the seaweed and any foreign things attached to it. Chip off the part when spider web/sponges are. then put the affected LR into a separate tub with correct salinity and put a small powerhead for circulation (VERY IMPORTANT ELSE THE LR WILL GET REAL SMELLY !!). Change water everyday until the water becomes clearer and no foul smell from LR. At least it will not foul your entire tank !

On hind sight (which is 100% clear) above process of trying to cure the LR waste more money then just get cured LR outright.

Hope above helps. There may be other easier methods but thats what I went though :( . All the best.