"sand filtering" goby

boxfish

• SRC Member

Tried to keep this type of goby to clean the sand bed but no successful.

Was looking for the 2 spot goby but could not find.... saw this single black spot white goby also doing the same trick...swallow mouthful of sand then come out from gill.. so try it and it was very good in keeping the sand bed clean but not for long....as it suddenly disappear... tried a few mpre also gone within a week.

Anyone knows about this goby and how to keep it in aquarium? :thanks:

• SRC Member

:( wah how I wish mine will disappear juz like yours. I'm trying to get rid of this joker for a year now without success. It has completely gone bonkers :evil: spitting sands all over my softies, clams, mushies, etc. :fear::ph34r:

My advise to u is avoid this 'bomber' at all costs if u are planning to keep corals on ya sandbed. :erm:

• SRC Member

Will all types of goby spit over over the place?

I know of 1 or 2 type will do that... but my observation for 2 spot and this white goby with one black spot on the dosal only spit near to the sandbed not as in spit as it swim around....

so far this guy does the job best, those starfish and snail not very effective.... :(

looks like the best maid is me :angry:

• SRC Member

thanks for the link.

wah they say care level is moderate...but to me this fish is very difficult leh.

If this fish is not disturbed or threaten in anyway I think it is effective in cleaning the sandbed... saw it in action b4. But did not survive for long :cry2:

• SRC Member
Will all types of goby spit over over the place?

I know of 1 or 2 type will do that... but my observation for 2 spot and this white goby with one black spot on the dosal only spit near to the sandbed not as in spit as it swim around....

so far this guy does the job best, those starfish and snail not very effective.... :(

looks like the best maid is me :angry:

:o Well, I wouldn't want to take another chance as long as it is a sand-sifting goby. <_< In a captive environment, nobody can tell if it will behave. :evil:

Well, I have a diamond goby, been with me for a month and is doing OK. Initially. I thought it won't survive as i don't have much left over food in the sand. I tried to target feed but once I put the plastic tube in the water, it would ran to its cave under the rock. Now, every evening it is waiting for food from me. Really good in cleaning/stirring sand though I dont have coral in the sand.