Changing to tropical tank

seamonkee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I doubt I can add plants without changing my light set... :unsure:

My light set is not even HO.... total add up only 160watts... not even pass the 2watts/gallon recommendation for low tech plants... sianz... my tank total gallon is 150.... :(

So if I change to the right kevin (now its 12000k spectrum) to those for planted tanks, the wattage also not enough... that means I gotta change the whole light set... = $$$$$$ :blink:

Wat's the recommendation? I was thinking throw in some nanas try try first.. hehe...

lol... add more light!! hehe..... can change to 6500k or 10kk also can....

bro... actually hor... nana and fern ppl normally will tie them to wood and let them grow onto the wood or rock....

nana i heard before got ppl plant in subtrate but think the outcome is not as good as tying to the wood...

so fertiliser is not really nessary... and with 200 tetra think the nutrients will be sufficient already.... correct me if i'm wrong.... :peace:

• SRC Member

SeaMonkee, honestly speaking, you should head to the planted forum. They might provide more assistance to you. From choosing the right stuff to aquascaping, the forum might have more knowledgeable hobbyist, not that I am saying that the people here give bad advice, just that you'll get the right advice at the right place. :)

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23497

1 of the reefer who started his planted tank.

:)

• SRC Member
Just bought this fertiliser... hehe... that means I gotta drain my tank and re-lay the substrate... hehe...

Decided to go for nanas and java ferns... low tech stuff...

Is this brand good? Cost me $100 :blink: bo bian... five foot tank... so its a big tub I bought... :D

How many kg is the fert? this brand is one of the branded and most expensive fert in town!!! :shock:

• SRC Member

How many kg is the fert? this brand is one of the branded and most expensive fert in town!!! :shock:

Issit? :lol::D

Anyway, I have my roots here so a bit hard to "leave" this club... hehe.... I do drop by into aquascaping sites but dunno much people there as compared to here.... :lol:

bro. cjh, I just lay the fertiliser at the bottom first in case I want to venture into substrate based plants.... ;)

Thanks for the advice all... :D

Will keep all updated again once the tank is up and running...

bye for now... :lol:

• SRC Member

My planted tank has a potting soil substrate layered with 1" of fine gravel... mymics what would happen in a real river I think...

Been like this for many many years already, never once added fertilisers and still getting very good growth even without CO2 injection... :D

• SRC Member

This is what I've done so far... to reduce flowrate and splashing so as to conserve CO2... now my tank runs without any "sound"... :D

Chan of Nature Aquarium says it is still possible to have a low tech planted tank using a sump.. just need to reduce splashing... hehe.. :D

Do give ur comments...

post-11-1160655415.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
ah I see you're up to new monkey business eh. (=

long time no see by the way. hope everything is going alright over at your side. :D

Terry! Haha! How's things man! It's been a while since I last heard from you...

Hey hey! Are you back in Singapore already? :lol:

• SRC Member
me? back in Singapore? not so fast. I still have a long LONG LONG way to go, mate. :P

I'll be back soon though. gotta do summer semester at TMC to catch up with my proper sequence, for fear of being out of synch when I go back in autumn next year. :mellow:

mate? MATE? MATE? Freak... u kena "Australianised" liao... :lol::D

Keep it up bro... hey, you remind me of my TMC days.... summer semester, etc.. hehe... ;)

• SRC Member
Try the latest trend... CRS? or maybe cherry shrimps.. a 5 feet full of shrimps will be nice! :P

Cherry Shrimp.... overhyped liao... Another ridiculous luohan trend :D

• SRC Member
This is what I've done so far... to reduce flowrate and splashing so as to conserve CO2... now my tank runs without any "sound"... :D

Chan of Nature Aquarium says it is still possible to have a low tech planted tank using a sump.. just need to reduce splashing... hehe.. :D

Do give ur comments...

It is possible and I've done it for ~ 1 yr but mine not really low tech. I'm still dosing fert and CO2.

Btw, I'll be clearing my Lapis sand by this Sat. If you interested to get them (FOC), pm me. Note, its enough to fill up my 5.5ft x 2ft to abt 3-4".

Cheers

JC