Kalkwasser

mansiz

I would like to ask if I can mix kalkwasser with water and store them in an air tight bottle. Because whenever I want to use, I would mix and let it settle and then pour the kalk water into a dripping bottle. So I am wondering if I can mix a huge amount of kalk, store them in a few air tight bottles (probably those soft drinks bottle), so I will just have to mix once or twice a week. Those bottle are just for storage only. Only when I want to drip then I will pour some into the dripping bottle.

• SRC Member

Yes you can. Provided you have minimal contact with air which has CO2... A little air pocket is okay, it will not loses the kalkwasser power...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I store my KW for 1 week and chalky water will settle in a few hours...

Also, I have test the PH of KW after 1 week, so if air tight, PH @ 12....

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Kalkwasser powder when mixed with water is actually a solution use for maintaining calcium level. But they cannot be poured into the tank straight away due to their high PH. You will have to drip it. Some people have high level of evporation rate, so dripping of kalkwasser actually helps to replenish the level of water evaporated and maintaining the calcium as well. It also helps the skimmer to perform better, maybe some bros can help to explain on this part, I only know that one element from the kalkwasser will bond with PO4, and thus remove them through the skimmer, and PO4 level will actually decrease. :lol:

It is alright if you drip it drop by drop, prabably 3 secs per drop. But if you pour everything in, you will kill everything in your tank.

They should be drip at night as PH is lower, but for my case, my lights are on from 6pm to 12am, so bros, should I drip during the day?

• SRC Member

:off::off::off:

sorry off topic

it is regarding lights.. since bro mansiz told abt it

cant find any old threads that tok abt it liao...

all way down the sewage.. :lol:

ok, bro mansiz mention that he switch on his lights 6pm - 12am (6hrs)

is that recommendable??

i used to set my timer to turn ON my lights from 10am - 11pm (13hrs) daily

recently i did a reduced in timing.. from 12.30pm - 9.30pm (9hrs)

but i do not noe wat is the recommended timing for them

i have only a few corals and LS in my 2.5ft tank..

im using 2tubes 39W t5..

can anyone pls advise??

:thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member
But what I;m concern is that will the kalk turn chalky or will they form a layer of stuff on top? If it does, what shuld I do?

Hi mansiz

The layer is a crust of carbonate (when kalk reacts with carbon dioxide from the air), the CO2 in the water will also react when mixing and will settle with the remainder of the kalk powder at the bottom.

You use the clear liquid which is already 100% saturated and throw away the sediment at the bottom.

In an open air container - kalk mixed water will last around 4days.

If its air tight then more than a week like what nakazoru has posted.

You can drip in the mornings (this is usually when pH is at the lowest)

• SRC Member
ok, bro mansiz mention that he switch on his lights 6pm - 12am (6hrs)

is that recommendable??

i used to set my timer to turn ON my lights from 10am - 11pm (13hrs) daily

recently i did a reduced in timing.. from 12.30pm - 9.30pm (9hrs)

but i do not noe wat is the recommended timing for them

i have only a few corals and LS in my 2.5ft tank..

im using 2tubes 39W t5..

It does depend on your preference of viewing time (maybe you work late so you don't want to come home to see a dark tank everyday)

As long as you have a set schedule - the animals will get use to it.

And lighting duration depends on your inhabitants- whether its full of light loving corals, lower lighting animals or just fish.

You can follow nature and go with 10 or 12hrs a day. You can run different lights at intervals that total up to 15hrs a day too (stimulating dawn-dusk)

e.g - a T5 or 2 on from dawn to dusk with MH or more T5's running 8-9hrs in the middle. Usually reef recommendation at 8-9hrs of lighting.

Just 2xT5 would rather just be for viewing(unless the tank is 8-10"deep),

you really need about 4 tubes or more for keeping corals in the long term.