Clown Fishes's death

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

could have died due to overstocking, poor water quality (we don't know how happy your corals are) disease, killing each other (esp different species, or same species such as maroon clowns). you'll need to give more details like tank size, age, water conditions (salinity levels of nitrates and other substances would be good), livestock etc if you want any useful replies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Orange,

i have the same problem too. I'm quite sad and curious at the same time. My corals are striving while the clowns died one after another. Recently, my friend bought the test kit. Only then i realised that nitrate level was far to high. Although the crustaceans are having great fun and currently pregnant with lots of eggs, my fishes kept on depleting. Eventually led to only crustaceans-reef tank. Well after the water change, The last clown fish died. I was suspecting the crab at first. Up till now, i'm still wonderin why...

Perhaps you would consider testing your tank water like i did. At least it will help you clear some doubt.

Cheers:)

hi bro orange, waterboy has a good point.

do check your no3...

i have a 3'x1.5'x2' tank, since oct'05.

every wk i change 1 pail of water (abt 10%), which i recently realised it wasn't enough...

started to change 2 pails eevry week, and need to monitor no3 level.

i oso experiences many common clown deaths.....

for mi case.. is usuali dead after a few days i bought back...the most it survive a week....

i believe my common clowns death is due to not being able to adpat to new environment.. plus ...maybe not so good water quality.

im goin to try again..tis time......changin tank water just the day b4 i buy new common clown ......plus conditionin tank water wif conditioner and active carbon after the water change....makin sure my water is in top condition b4 i buy new clowns and put it in.....

any comments tis might help in the survival rate??

• SRC Member

i think its important that u choose healthy fishes. if there are other fishes in the tank that are surviving then i think your no3 isnt causing much problem. maybe other fishes attacked then ?

i have faced such problems before, then i realise that most of the clowns i bought the first time wont healthy.

one thing to take note when buying clowns is make sure they are swimming with their fins expanded and respond fast to disturbance.

i am raring 4 clowns now. all living happily. the largest one is only about an inch

cheers

i think its important that u choose healthy fishes. if there are other fishes in the tank that are surviving then i think your no3 isnt causing much problem. maybe other fishes attacked then ?

i have faced such problems before, then i realise that most of the clowns i bought the first time wont healthy.

one thing to take note when buying clowns is make sure they are swimming with their fins expanded and respond fast to disturbance.

i am raring 4 clowns now. all living happily. the largest one is only about an inch

cheers

true! agreed wif u..get clown swimming with their fins expanded... ...coz the last time i bought 5 clowns together....and then get to realised tat tis only clown has expanded fin....and then in the end its the only one clown surieve- wif expanded fins...

• SRC Member

if u live in seng kang area i would reco T95 if u wanna get clowns. they usually have 5 - 6 tank full when the stock comes in. sizes vary. u can take your time and choose.. the clowns i got from them didnt die because of poor health. they are either killed by other fishes in my tank or my tank crash. 1 even survived when my tank crashed a couple of months back.

all the best bro

Brothers and sisters, who can tell me why my clown fishes died one by one? but the corals still live happily.

if u keep ur clownfish well n successful i sure sell u my baby nemos,can tell u hav e passion for them...

but for safety purposes... they must be at least 1.5months old then can transport ard... else stress will kill them...

• SRC Member

i find clownfish easiest to keep..... my brown tang and hippo tang died yesterday due to ich.... the tank nitrate was off the roof yet my clownfish lives......

and its colour is getting darker too..... not to mention it eats like a pig ;;

ive had 4 clowns so far none of them died arrive badly wounded and white spots all over the body yet its the hardiest fish ive keep...... now i got to shop for other decent size fish for my tank... looks a bit dull with just my clown...

gave the other 3 away since i dont have enough anemones to keep them happy.

• SRC Member

yea but anytime they swim near the one with the anemones it will attack them chasing them away.... and kinda feel sad for them anyway so gave it away...

but clowns are related to damsels though so should be quite hardy anyway... rather than tangs... at least my tangs..... :cry:

all my clown is dead one by one too

lol.. guess its better not to buy from farms

buy it from other reefers..

those more stable ones..

rather than those u got $1 from farm or LFS..

its like trying ur luck..

farms at pasir ris.... do all their fishes...or clowns fishs at each different farms...all come form the same source..unhealthy??

how abt Reborn LFS? is their clowns stable?

• SRC Member
lol.. not trying to say farm has unhealthly fishes, bro..

can juz say, buying fishes is always like gambling man..

how good can u tell the condition of the fish by juz looking??

we ain't pro rite?

juz my 2 cents la..

haha agree with u bro . espcially when it come to angels and tangs :pinch:

Hi Orange,

the only concern i have for the death of clown fishes are due to many factors. The main factor

is high level of Nitrate. Clowns, although can be quite hardy, as many would say, are very

intolerable of high level of Nitrate. I'm still in the process of cycling my tank. Please read up on

Nitrate as this would help you in the future.

Thanks.

i would say common clowns are the next hardest fish after damsels and six line wasse IMO. feed them garlic soaked food and brine shrimps they will grow very rapidly

how about Green Chromis Damsel...is it a hardy fishes to keep? i dun hav much luck on Green Chromis Damsel too.... kept dying.....

• SRC Member

how about Green Chromis Damsel...is it a hardy fishes to keep? i dun hav much luck on Green Chromis Damsel too.... kept dying.....

hey bro i have the same exprience as u. first few attempts my fishes die one by one. stop keeping them for a while and recently got a few more. make sure u dont have any fishes that will attack them. most of mine perish due to attacks

cheers