Is your protein skimmer giving out heat?

Flaming Nemo

Hi friends,

CUrrently my protein skimmer is giving out heat in my sump tank turning the water a bit warm.

Is this a problem or is normal? I'm using a submerging pump. The pump is in the water. The pump giving out heat....

Advise?

advice ? get a chiller or fan :) to cool ur water temp.

more reliable pump such as aquabee / eheim are more energy effucient , thus consuming less electricity and produce less heat . can change ur pump too .

it is normal for pump to give out heat. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Take the temperature of your water with the skimmer on. Then switch off the skimmer for about 1 hour or 2 and measure the temp again. Then you will know roughly if the pump for the skimmer is causing the water temp to rise sharply.

If it is, best advise is to change to a better pump like aquabee or ehiem that emits less heat.

But no matter what, you have at least 3 power heads in your whole aquarium setup. One for circulating the main tank, one for skimmer and one as the return pump for pushing water back to the main tank. You will need a chiller. Or get a fan. Your temp will sure go up with 3 powerheads.

THanks for all your advise!!!

I using Dymax brand.

FYI, I only using 1 pump to pump up the water from sump to main tank... i using gravtional energy to pull the water down...

Another issue....

My protein skimmer is producing lots of bubbles... in the sump tank causing bubbles to raise up in my main tank... very ugly....

How to solve?

When we should on the skimmer? Cos my tank just set up.. only live rocks and sands....

PLs advise me again...

THanks