Special aquarium project

johntanjm

• SRC Member

Alright guys, I'm hear to share with you all a crazy idea. Just for the passion and love for this hobby i've decided to start a blog to document fully the whole process of setting up an aquarium. I am not an expert but I just hope that in doing so, I can show people that its not easy at all and as responsible reefers we must all put in time and effort to care for the fish we've taken away from their home. through the blog i hope to discuss all the considerations, from technical, to money, to time, to feelings (ie depression when the fish die or impatience when u're starting up.)

Also an even more stupid idea, I'm going to encourage people to adopt a fish when the tank is up. just like how they adopt a child in africa. This time people adopt a fish and keep it in my tank. they pay for fish food etc. this is to generate awareness for marine fishes, their beauty as well as how delicate they are. they get to visit their fish anytime they want also. So far got few people agreed already. hahahahhaha! Free fish!

Also i have many plans to further develope this, so like minded brothers, or if you guys want to help in this project, i'm more then happy. After all its a aquarium supported by a community of friends.

myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

Cheers! come support!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

thanks for your interest! hahaha! well we both go shopping for the fish. at the end of the day, i won't get to choose the fish, but i get to say no if i feel that in my judgement that fish will not be beneficial for the community. ie. somebody wants to keep a dog face puffer togther with all the delicate clowns, dottybacks, gobies. Its meant to be a friendly happy tank.

I wish I can hasten the process of setting up the tank. hopefully the water can start running thru the pumps and pipes in 2 weeks time. for now, its still a dry tank :) let you know la when things are up for adoption. hahaha!

• SRC Supporter
why should i get the fish and pay for the fish food instead of putting into my tank? its like so weird, i buy the fish, i pay for its living and i cant see it.. hmmmmm...

yah i agree with u.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

yah i agree with u.

i agree with it too ... it was like we get the fish n let u have it. but it would be good.. if any reefer in here wanna abandon their fish then it shall goes to ur tank rather than getting it n hav it in there

stitched001ov7.jpg

All the best to your new project... juust hope that you can explain a little bit more about your "fish adoption" programme... now how does this help in the reefing community?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

well this tank is not really a tank for all you reefers but more for the education and public awareness of the general public. Many people are polluting the sea cos they don't know how beautiful it is. And people have the misconception that we reefers are cruel cos we capture fishes and keep it. I want to correct all of those thoughts.

1stly reefing takes alot of time effort and money and we're all responsible pet owners. I also want this to serve as though joining the hobby to let them know about all the considerations so they don't just jump into it and end up killing fish.

2ndly, its hard to tell people to stop polluting the sea when they dont even come in contact with it. So by having an aquarium, with future pix and stuff and even letting people come over and chat abt the aquarium, i get them exposed to the fascinating marine life living in the sea. and from then on hopefully they will treasure the sea more. For kids, they might start liking this hobby and read up more abt fish and in the future when they grow up, they will also be more caring towards marine life ie. support reef conservation projects etc.

bottom line this project is not about money or who spends what or whether i'm getting a good deal at other's expense. Its just to tell people how beautiful the sea is. If i can influence you guys who already have tanks to start doing likewise and involve your community of friends into this fishy stuff, then it'd be great! then more people will know abt fish and in time to come learn to respect the sea and its marine life.

as for adoption, there's a stay alive garantee for 3 months. If the fish die, all money go back to you. I feel that 3 months is a reasonable time frame and if 3 months the fish still alive, ur tank should be fine so its not ur fault if the fish die of old age or something.

also i'm gonna set up an internet webcam so tat people can watch the fish LIVE! now this is one part i'm really excited about.

well this tank is not really a tank for all you reefers but more for the education and public awareness of the general public. Many people are polluting the sea cos they don't know how beautiful it is. And people have the misconception that we reefers are cruel cos we capture fishes and keep it. I want to correct all of those thoughts.

Bro... I dun mean to be rude... but it's always helpful to be upfront in situation like this... coz I think you are not entirely clear of your plan.

Yes, educating the public about the beauty of the sea is a sound objective... but how can you straighten up the misconception of capturing fishes and keeping them? In fact, we are removing fishes from their natural habitat and placing them in our tank. I shouldn't use the word "cruel" as many of us go to great lengths to ensure our LS' well-being...

But denying that fact is a denial to the hobby as a whole...

I think you can better educate the public by not offering them the opportunity to adopt a fish... let me show you the distinction between your "adopt" concept with other successful programmes:

1) Adopt a child in Africa - those poor kids need help, they were born into this world without a chance to fight for their own survival.

2) Adopt a tree - with your contribution, a tree can be planted or prolonged avoiding choppping-off

3) Adopt a nemo - remove nemo from the sea and put it in one's tank for eveybody to see? Emm... I believe Wisma Atria has been doing that for a very long time... and not without controversies.

Do think about it...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

also i'm gonna set up an internet webcam so tat people can watch the fish LIVE! now this is one part i'm really excited about.

Oh yeah... I'm planning to do that too for my office tank... so that I can watch it from home :) Do share with us the setup detail as it is still a new thing for this technology to be applied to reefing :lol:

• SRC Member

Its ironic that the big bros here whom i assume to have been in this hobby for a long time question the ethics behind reefing. Well this is how i see it, we're all part an eco cycle. we're the top of the food chain. we are predators and we eat fish and in this case we keep fish. either way its to the effect of being a predator and in this way we contribute to the eco-cycle by keeping things in balance. Nature has set it such that we're the top and its evitable that we'll predate. So i see nothing wrong with keeping fishies.

What i feel is wrong is when people excessively do it. like there are cases of excessive fishing, cases of cynide fishing. This is when humans topple the balance. and one of the reasons is because they don't understand the eco-cycle. They just see fish as of commercial value and of no other implcations to a greater web of life in the sea.

The fact that u've raised such concerns over the contavesy is an indcation that this thread/blog can be effective. I wanna raise debate, and thru the debate people will think and ponder, and this is when information shared and knowledge grown, awareness created.

cheers guys!

• SRC Member

Oh yeah... I'm planning to do that too for my office tank... so that I can watch it from home :) Do share with us the setup detail as it is still a new thing for this technology to be applied to reefing :lol:

as for the technology of an internet web cam, i've already managed to hook up a interent webcam but this one runs on LAN cable so its very trouble some. additinal wires. Its relatively simple if you understand the concepts of a dynamic DNS services and if you're working from behind a gateway router, simple routing concepts to open ports etc to direct the traffic.

if you need any advise, PM lar. i can provide a walk thru on it even.

My intention is not to discourage, just wanna make sure you know what you are doing... yes awareness is good and i have to agree with you people been doing too much harm to topple ther balance.

Do share with us your plan and your concept... share with us more on the hardware... i will contribute to your noble programme plus 10 year food supply if you able to convince me :)

• SRC Member

I just find it confusing to be frank, ask ppl buy then keep in ur tank. In the end a reefer instead of buying 1 fish for his tank he gotta buy 2, 1 for u 1 for him that means more fish gotta be caught to keep up with the demand if ever theres more ppl who have the same concept as u. So how does ur concept denote the ignorance of some reefers who overstoke overbuy i dunno ...

Probably your programme is more suited to those non-reefers... those who long to own a fish... sorta like the Tamagotchi concept... then it MAY be a bit clearer :unsure: