Special aquarium project

johntanjm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
but bro, are you really capable of keeping the fish alive? that is the main objective. what if i buy you a fish today and tomorrow it died?

What if i buy the fish and donate it but it still dies? Whats the difference dying in someone elses tank then my own? Less heart pain? LOL

• SRC Member

Is a noble concept but imho u need to fine tune it.

Btw, what is happening to earth today are mainly the results of human (homo sapiens). If you are talking abt saving the reef, den imo the concept is flawed. There is not way by taking some natural lifeform away from it habitat can result in helping the habitat, same vice versa (Reefholic is rite that if u wan to really save the ocean, the best way is to stop the hobby or only keep farm breed species). You probably wan to amend you concept to what SRC was started for int he 1st place and that is abt "Responsible Reefing".

Besides the points fellow reefers here have put up, have u consider putting the tank in a public area?

How do u plan to get ur this project out to the public? Juz by blogging?

My 2cts

JC

Sorry i dont meant to be rude. I dont see the logic here.

If you want to protect and inform all reefers, there are better ways than this. Not necessary to setup a webcam, information on the internet is massive or you can setup a blog without really setting up tank.

• SRC Member

Your noble intention is astounding, yet unlikely to succeed. :o

Since you are and I presume you are new to this hobby, I shall take the liberty to highlight that there are many methods to create awareness or so called ‘Save the World’ campaign. There are so many organizations, like REEF, WWF and ICR just to name a few to save the coral reef which is sad to say that are destroy or will be completely destroy by man direct or indirectly. Why take the trouble to set up a reef tank and have people adopt fishes to be kept by you? Of course, your righteous quest is unquestionable but you may invite uncalled condemnation and criticism. <_<

By the way, you may need register with the authorities if any money is involve, I think. :pinch:

Anyway, good luck to your undertaking. :yeah:

• SRC Member

ha! more firey comments! I think i made a misunderstanding. I'm not asking any of you to come buy fish and keep in my tank. I'd be most happy if you guys do but i just started this thread to share with you guys what i'm up to. After all we're all reefers, we will keep a tank anyway. and if i can add on to the tank by making a blog out of it and subsequently a live internet cam on the tank. its just a variantion from a normal tank.

I dont know why you guys feel so strongly about other people paying for my fish or for the fact that my fish will be effectively free. I already have a sizable group of friends who've promised to adopt a fish in my tank. i think that thru the conversations i had with them, they understand much better about this hobby that its not just a play play thing. so my objective's reached.

So i'm just inviting you guys to pop over to the blog and snoop out whats happening. push up the traffic. well if u guys feel so strongly against adopting a fish, then well take it like any other brother starting a thread in SRC to document the process of building his tank :)

Mechanism of tank will be ready in one month. 1st fish as well as internet webcam in 2 months.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

I guess its the way u put it through in ur 1st few posts that set the wrong impression. If ur aim is just to do a blog on ur fish tank progress, nobody will question that. To be honest, blogging in the aquarium hobby is not new and many has been doing it.

Keep it that way (enjoy ur hobby and do responsible reefing) and not actively asking for adoption in a public domain for your ur tank mates will definitely prevent any misunderstanding.

Btw, u can now get a wireless IP Cam for quite a gd price now.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member

whats the price for a wireless one? I'm currently looking at the linksys. Was sourcing around for others but came out those are really industrial standard kind. super expensive.

• SRC Member

yeah those were the 2 most prominent brands. i've been reading the linksys reviews. so far its not very positive. yar i think i should go take a walk and see.

so i suppose u are going to buy all the correct equipment to educate the public on correct reefing ???

why dun u tell us what equipment u are going to buy first so that the public have confidence that u will be successful.

in ur blog i only see metal halide .

ur tank is only 2 feet i suppose .

from ur drawing , i think u put ur tank on a computer table , which probably will fail with time .

i suppose u are using ur metal halide without chiller as u say u cant find one small enough.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

the metal halide is here but i've not installed it. if the chiller doesn't work out, i think i'm gonna scrape the halide altogether. now i'm exploring how to squeeze space for a chiller.

as for the table, its really a solid table so i'm not too worried about that. more updates will come thru the blog.

Currently whats in plan is a overflow hangon box that will pipe into a plastic sump.

The original plan was to use a eheim 2227 or 2229, run a tunze skimmer inside the tank and that will leave me with space for a chiller. But i've got a small problem is that i'm unable to get a surface skimming action. So i've pushed that off

infact i'm thinking, i might just get a custom tank lar to fill that space. that will solve alot of problems. hahaha!

Dear bro johntanjm,

Although i dnt understand what u trying to do but your intention is to save the marine environment?

Btw, your method may not be effective because of the trust of people in this forum.

Just to share w everyone, currently our school of students are doing a coral conservation in Singapore and is working very closely with AVA and NEA. I think this method is more effective to show the public of the awarness of corals in singapore.

Bro, you need to find big organization to backup your plan so that people can trust you. People tend to see the co-sponsor and org than individual who want to start a project.

For us we are a school and club, we need funds so we have to get big-shot co-sponsor to help us. Individual effort is diff, i think. Unless u are rich

Thnks

• SRC Member
ha! more firey comments! I think i made a misunderstanding. I'm not asking any of you to come buy fish and keep in my tank. I'd be most happy if you guys do but i just started this thread to share with you guys what i'm up to. After all we're all reefers, we will keep a tank anyway. and if i can add on to the tank by making a blog out of it and subsequently a live internet cam on the tank. its just a variantion from a normal tank.

I dont know why you guys feel so strongly about other people paying for my fish or for the fact that my fish will be effectively free. I already have a sizable group of friends who've promised to adopt a fish in my tank. i think that thru the conversations i had with them, they understand much better about this hobby that its not just a play play thing. so my objective's reached.

So i'm just inviting you guys to pop over to the blog and snoop out whats happening. push up the traffic. well if u guys feel so strongly against adopting a fish, then well take it like any other brother starting a thread in SRC to document the process of building his tank :)

Mechanism of tank will be ready in one month. 1st fish as well as internet webcam in 2 months.

hope you are generating the 'right' awareness....the last we want to see in your blog, is a web cam of a 2 footer with >3 big size tangs......wonder what sort of message will that convey..... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

mantis shrimp? haha... no thanks. i had a hecka problem removing the last one i had.

well if you want to talk abt organisations, its too complicated for me. so i'm still going ahead with the plan, build tank, blog abt, internet webcam. if people would wish to sponsor/adopt a fish they can. if they wish to donate they can. i dont see what's so harmful abt it :)

Even if your fish tank is as big as underwater world in singapore. How far and how much can you educate the public is limited.

I will say forget abt cam and forget abt project. Just sharing knowledge here will do. There are better ways to do it. Why not work part time in underwater world where u can reach out face to face directly with people talk to them, let ppl feel, touch and sense the education for underwater creatures.

No point in a kept place with cam - it's not meaningful at all.

• SRC Member

currently, its exam time. alot of projects and deadlines. seems like i can't juggle as well as i hoped.

Hey i wish i could work at underwater world, but they didn't want me. I applied twice but dang! so I headed off to california and spent quite a while at the Long Marine Lab Seymour Discovery Center and of alsomultiple trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium / marine lab. Well i think i did quite a fair bit for the sea.

Thanks bros for visitng the blog. Will update more frequent and soon too ok. my target is 2 months and i put fish in

• SRC Member
currently, its exam time. alot of projects and deadlines. seems like i can't juggle as well as i hoped.

Hey i wish i could work at underwater world, but they didn't want me. I applied twice but dang! so I headed off to california and spent quite a while at the Long Marine Lab Seymour Discovery Center and of alsomultiple trips to the Monterey Bay Aquarium / marine lab. Well i think i did quite a fair bit for the sea.

Thanks bros for visitng the blog. Will update more frequent and soon too ok. my target is 2 months and i put fish in

WOW!! Impressive