cloudy water...

hi.. need some help. i just bought clear seawater yesterday for my new tank.. but after adding to the tank, the water beacame very cloudy... it still is after more than a day. and i have switched of the pump expecting the clouds to settle down. but its still cloudy. anyone know wat i should do? btw water's not at all smelly.. fishes seems healthy. (no corals yet). But before adding the water, i added some old and new coral chips for the filter and also new g-0 and g-1 sand- (washed). do u think i should do a total water change again? cos i suspect the cloudy water's due to the new chips and sand maybe bcos i didnt wash the properly.. thanks

• SRC Member

Try some good old-fashioned mechanical filtration. Get some aquarium filter wool pads and place them in your filter compartment. Change when necessary - the wool is cheap anyway. If you cannot manage to filter out the murkiness because the sediment is too fine for the wool (shouldn't be the case) then do a total water change as a last ditch resort.

hope this helps.

Try some good old-fashioned mechanical filtration. Get some aquarium filter wool pads and place them in your filter compartment. Change when necessary - the wool is cheap anyway. If you cannot manage to filter out the murkiness because the sediment is too fine for the wool (shouldn't be the case) then do a total water change as a last ditch resort.

hope this helps.

thanks for the help.. will try that.. but btw, how often should i change the filter pads?

• SRC Member

Usually when you see them dirty :lol: You can change them when you see that they're discolored or contain sludge, but it's okay to leave them for a bit longer if you want to be thrifty with the pads. Don't let them get clogged up with too much fish waste and tank dirt though because those will rot and degrade your water quality.

Usually when you see them dirty  :lol: You can change them when you see that they're discolored or contain sludge, but it's okay to leave them for a bit longer if you want to be thrifty with the pads. Don't let them get clogged up with too much fish waste and tank dirt though because those will rot and degrade your water quality.

hey.. thanks a lot.. my water's getting clearer except for my "dewed" glass.. any idea wat i should do? temp of water's 27-28C and the condensation outside the glass is unbearable...

...unless your room temp is very much higher than your tank temp, you shouldn't be getting condensation on the outside of your tank.

You very sure that you tank temp is 27-28 degrees?

yah very sure.. but the condensation's not 24/7 but its still very often... So i guess there's no solution to this is it? i think room temp's around 30 - 31C

brp ridzwan21 do you have a skimmer?bec all you need is a skimmer and it will do the skimming for you cheers.where got sg so hot until condense?haha

yup.. i have a skimmer but juz a weipro 2012 for a 322 tank. enuff? so, no way the condensation problem can be solved if i want my tank to be 27C?

• SRC Member

...condensation...hmm...

The only times I've seen condensation is when the chiller is set to very low...presumably about 20degrees. I've set my chiller to 27degrees and have never had condensation problems, even when the surrounding temperature is about 30-31 degrees.

Did you measure your tank's temperature using a separate thermometer, or do you depend on the chiller's reading? Some chillers are not very accurate in their thermo switch setting.

• SRC Member

at the very worst, turn on the aircon to ensure that room temperature is around tank temperature or lower, or if possible or fix up a fan -> increase air circulation near the tank to dry off the condensation as soon as it appears. that may help.

your situation is kind of weird though haha :lol: .

...condensation...hmm...

The only times I've seen condensation is when the chiller is set to very low...presumably about 20degrees. I've set my chiller to 27degrees and have never had condensation problems, even when the surrounding temperature is about 30-31 degrees.

Did you measure your tank's temperature using a separate thermometer, or do you depend on the chiller's reading? Some chillers are not very accurate in their thermo switch setting.

yup.. theres a separate thermometer measuring the temp and it reads between 27-28... think i need to buy one more thermo and confirm.. thx a lot bro..

at the very worst, turn on the aircon to ensure that room temperature is around tank temperature or lower, or if possible or fix up a fan -> increase air circulation near the tank to dry off the condensation as soon as it appears. that may help.

your situation is kind of weird though haha :lol: .

will try your way and see how...thx for helping me out...

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to ask a few questions from all you experts.

A couple day ago , my wave maker fell off the clip, stirred up the

sand and create a massive dirt invasion with all the dirt that were

all the while hidden inside the LR.

After three days, some of the tangs started to die. one had cloudy

eyes and I think partially blind.

Does this got anything to do with the stir up of the dirt?

I bought a new piece of LR ( 5kg) and place it into the main tank .

Again one of my Yellow tangs die.

Does this has anything to do with the water?

However this time there were no dirt being stirred up .

Did this new LR change the parameters of the tank?

I actually took reading of the water and the PH was around 8.1 .

Any advice?? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

it could be the LR was nt cured in the LFS b4 u bought it...

another thing for the stirring of sand, yes, it does increase the nitrite and ammonia and some fishes cannot tolerate..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Trying to understand why would stirring of sand increase the nitrite and ammonia.

The detritus whether in the sand or LR is still inside the tank. By stirring the sand or pump blow at the LR, just make the detritus float in the water column and hopefully it can go into the overflow and filtered away by the filter wool. So, stir or don't stir the detritus still inside your tank and how can it have a sudden increase in nitrite and ammonia? Please enlighten me.

• SRC Member

The sudden shock of bio imbalance due to the addition of a uncure 5kg live rock.

Probably along the transportation, some part of the rock dies off, resulting in a surge of ammonia...

:erm::erm: