My cleaner shrimp is pregnant...or am i wrong?

waterboy

Hi all,

I'm a newbie. i would like to know whether my prawn is definately pregnant. There seems to be

greenish kind of thing in her belly somewhat like "wasabi" Hopefully you guys have an anwer to my

question. And if it's pregnant what should i do??? i'm lost??? help me...Thanks

noor@okeanohaus.com

post-57-1162976050.jpg

go n ask bro fuel on tis...

its not reali tht diff

just takes a little bit more effort on e 1st few stages...

A lot more preparation den it seems... You will need to get a consistent live feed source for each different stage for the larvae... You will need to get a mesh to isolate the larvae so they dun get sucked away...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Yup its carrying eggs. But its almost impossible for a hobbyist with a home setup to culture shrimp larvae until adulthood. Too much work involved and intense dedication.

Don't bother... many have tried.... I know I did... its just too much work... and success rate is almost nil.

Hi guys,

thanks for replying. Other than isolating the pregnant prawn, what should i do? Do i have to place the pregnant prawn and the male prawn together? Also, are the live brine shrimp sufficient enough for the larvae? Thanks.

• SRC Member

Hi,

the shrimp are hermaphrodites meaning both male and female. You just need more than one together.

The eggs are fertilized when the shrimp moult together.

I don't think live brine shrimp will work as a food source but I don't have much experience with this. Just leave the shrimp be, they will eventually release the larvae into the water.

Hi guys,

thanks for replying. Other than isolating the pregnant prawn, what should i do? Do i have to place the pregnant prawn and the male prawn together? Also, are the live brine shrimp sufficient enough for the larvae? Thanks.

The Brine shrimp will be bigger than the larvae...

LOL....

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Hi bros:)

hehe, yup the brine shrimps are definately bigger:0 than the larvae. Anyway bros i wil definately post the pics ( if im lucky enough i.e) Thanks again for replying bros:)

• 2 weeks later...

Newly released CS larvae are smaller than that (about 2mm plus) and look totally different. The organisms in the pic looks more like mysis. Easy in the beginning, hard at the end.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi Guys,

Fuel, what do you mean 'easy in the beginning, hard at the end?'

By the way, my shrimps are still carrying their eggs. I'm still wondering till when:)

Thanks.

CS larvae are tough in the beginning but you will experience mass die-offs once they get older. That's just the way it has been and it seems to stay that way until someone figures out why.

Those seem to be juvenile & adult mysid shrimps already. There are many species of mysid shrimp and each species will be different.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/breeder.htm

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Fuel,

thanks for that:) Alright will update pic of the babies if i'm fortunate enough:)

:unsure: