kH for SPS

Hi guys ,

Can anyone tell mi what is the best kH to maintain SPS coral. just read from deltec website under the calcium reactor that the kH above 10 is not recommended as it will lock the ions in the system to prevent utilise.

However additive for Grotech suggest 10. 10 seem good as my kH tend to drop with time and a very experience reefer told mi that kH should not drop by 1 within a day and to maintain at 8-9 .

anyone has any advice for mi?

TIA :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/PF509.pdf

under general operation part D. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
Hi guys ,

Can anyone tell mi what is the best kH to maintain SPS coral. just read from deltec website under the calcium reactor that the kH above 10 is not recommended as it will lock the ions in the system to prevent utilise.

However additive for Grotech suggest 10. 10 seem good as my kH tend to drop with time and a very experience reefer told mi that kH should not drop by 1 within a day and to maintain at 8-9 .

anyone has any advice for mi?

TIA :)

Hey bro,

I believe the value of KH cannot be taken as a sole reading itself. It should be maintain in relation to the other 2 critical value like pH & Ca.

If KH is high>10 and a high pH>8.5, it is not possible to maintain a high calcium level as most of it will be precipitate out from the seawater.

Natural seawater have a KH of 6. IMO, a KH of between 8 - 9 should be good. I maintain mine at 8. All in all, i believe it is he delicate balance of the 3 component together rather than getting the values correct for each individual..

Just my 2ct... u may disagree... :P

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

Yes bro Reefzzzzzzzzzzz sums it up nicely... it's just hard sometimes to link the 3 parameters together and see them as interlinked... we tend to focus on one element at a time :) It's a good reminder to all reefers :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hi jack,

from my full sps reef (hope i have it again :P) i check my kh every other days. and my ca and mg once in 2 weeks. to make sure all are in line.

as long as i have a good salt with good ca, kh and mg, and i do 5-10% water change weekly, + my CR is running well, i don' have to worry that much :lol:

most of the time, i would use my Ph reading to determine my kh level. for example, i keep my kh between 7.5-8 and my ph reading gives me between 8.1-8.3 (with my CR running). if my ph monitor show its value drop, i will double check my kh (and it usually drop below 7.5). and i know my CR effluent is giving me problem (always get choke :angry: )

i keep my ca 410ppm and mg 1250ppm and it is still keep it discipline even though i don't keep sps now :P

just remember, kh can drop within a day. ca and mg take time to drop. and most sensitive corals (sps) will always very sensitive to the kh value changes.

age.png

Hey bro,

I believe the value of KH cannot be taken as a sole reading itself. It should be maintain in relation to the other 2 critical value like pH & Ca.

If KH is high>10 and a high pH>8.5, it is not possible to maintain a high calcium level as most of it will be precipitate out from the seawater.

Natural seawater have a KH of 6. IMO, a KH of between 8 - 9 should be good. I maintain mine at 8. All in all, i believe it is he delicate balance of the 3 component together rather than getting the values correct for each individual..

Just my 2ct... u may disagree... :P

sorry! juz to double confirm. natural sea water' kh should b 7 rite? :huh:

sorry! juz to double confirm. natural sea water' kh should b 7 rite? :huh:

yup i think it is around there ! :lol:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets