Setting up 1.5ft cube tank

moi_dar

Kind VanDeam gave me more LR last night and I have promptly placed them into my tank.

Today, I placed in one of my corals into the new tank and turned on the lights after testing the water with the 5 in1 strip for NO2 and NO3 (which both appears to be 0). To my horror, after turning on the lights and fan, the temperature in the tank is 29.3C.

Alamak, does it mean I need more fan?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yup... think u need more fans to help cool down the water temp. If the longer u switched on the lights, the higher the temp ends to rise :huh:

Another area to note when u got a few fans blowing at it is that the evaporation also high. standby water for top and measure the salinity regularly. Wat colors u put in ? corals tends to thrive better at temp not higher than 30 degree :pinch:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Only put in one jewel to test out. Will get another fan later today. Bro, know where to look for interesting yet not too difficult to mantain corals?

The only one I have been to is pasir ris farm way 1. Any other place to go or is this the best place to hunt for corals?

• SRC Member
Need more rocks?

hey sis.... wat time liao ? still hook on the forum ? :P:pinch:

Anyway, looks like ur tank still lacks rocks and that I notices tat the rear of ur tank lacks lighting too. I would suggest u do a fresh water dip when u bought any zoo colony. reasons is tat u do not wan to have nudis invested in ur tank... :)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Anyway, looks like ur tank still lacks rocks and that I notices tat the rear of ur tank lacks lighting too. I would suggest u do a fresh water dip when u bought any zoo colony. reasons is tat u do not wan to have nudis invested in ur tank...

Alamak, put the zoos in liao. Can take them out for a fresh water dip now?

Don't know how else to put the rocks in? The skimmer at the back blocks out the space. Difficult to put in the rocks. We thinking of just getting more corals and place them in to fill up the empty space :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

No need in the hurry to top up with many LR. IMO, start to get some softies/ corals to fill up the space. Dun forget, some already attached with LR ;)

I would suggest to get start polyps and mushroom for you tank. they come with intense green and many many colour too:yeah: :yeah: Besides, if you plan to have zoa, I do have some zoas for sale. If you want, drop me pm then maybe can oso come to my place to c c look look too. :peace:

Hi all,

Have added in some corals into my tank liao but I face a problem. The temperature of my tank is around 29.4 in the afternoon and about 28.9 at night even with 2 fan coil blowing at it. I tried to lower the temperature by putting in ice cubes with ziplock bag (sandwich size 3/4 full) into the tank. It did lower the temperature to 27.0 to 27.4 but the ice in the bag melts within 5 mins...!!! I suspect either my themometer is inaccurate or that the heat from my pump and lights are super hot.

I am thinking of getting a chiller cl150 or cl280 for my tank and would like the experts opinion of it. I know some thinks that a chiller is too strong for a nano like mine but I really want my corals to do well in my tanks. Pls advise.

Hi there, I don't think the thermometer is inaccurate. The temp you got is quite normal for a tank with a few pumps running.

As for chiller, I think it's a great investment. It'll maintain the temp of the water, less evaporation compared to fan.

Minimally you should go for is the resun 280. Resun 150 is way underpowered in my opinion, it may just keeps running.

I was previously using the resun 280 for my 2ft cube. It's a very quiet chiller(the 280), but was slightly underpowered for my 2ft cube. So i guess it should serve ur 1.5ft cube well. Look out for it at pasar malam, pricing is very affordable.

Hey hey hey ppl,

Me going to get the chiller and wish me luck! Cos mah chiam like toto, heng/suay one. Then I will try to get a MH 70 watt for my coral to flourish!!!! Whopii!!!!

Once I get my hands on the chiller, corals here I come!!! ha haha... I'm going mad with corals constantly on my mind. Seriously, how did you ppl remain so sane with this hobby? :lol::yeah::upsidedown:

Little bull, will contact you when I get my chiller. Don't want your zoas to die in my tank :pinch:

Till I get my chiller and will post the pic of the tank and new corals. Till then, you ppl continue to chio lfs B)

• SRC Member
Cos mah chiam like toto, heng/suay one.

looking at the way you buy eqpt, we thought u kenna toto.... :D:D

Little bull, will contact you when I get my chiller. Don't want your zoas to die in my tank  :pinch:

i tot zoas can do without chiller?

:thanks: