southpaw23's reef

southpaw23

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Close up shot of the bubble density and size. Does anyone know how long a Deltec takes to kick in. It's been running for a lil over a week i think..

post-34-1185716715.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Apologies for the extremely dirty glass...have yet to get me a magnet cleaner and that's really killin the pictures :P

Anyways...not fully happy with the scape yet so this might change in the near future.

That's all for now... :)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Hey guys...

needing your input!

Am contemplating a Vortech pump as a means of additional circulation for the tank. I've come to terms that the 12m3 is probably not gonna cut it as far as total turnover for the tank is concerned...right now the current seems gentle at best.

So one of the main reasons why i'm considering this over the Tunzes is due to the bulky nature of the Tunzes. So sad to say, aesthetics is a big issue for me and in my goals to keep the tank clutter free. I must admit the price is a lil on the high side plus the fact that i'll have to spend more to control it once the controller is out.

However, my other concern is on the heat generated by the unit. I hear that it's just warm to the touch when not driven to the max. But seeing that i have black oyama sticker pasted along the entire side of my tank. Am wondering if this heat will either melt or warp the sticker. Plus, the side of the tank is also somewhat enclosed so it doesn't do too well in dissapating the heat.

Any thoughts? Shoot!

ps. Thanks Jervis for sharing your experience with this device over the pm.

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

If use Tunzes... Is putting the Tunzes between rocks a possibility? Can hide them that way rite? The only thing is you might need longer power cable if you want to run the cable along/under the sand-bed or rocks. Some more you can place them at/near the bottom rocks and adjust the flow current upwards/angled cuz in the ocean, current swell from the bottom too rite?

Juz my opinion...

• SRC Member

Putting the tunzes among the rocks is a possibliity but i'll have to scape the rockwork in such a way that it would be possible. Either that or get a Tunze Rock. Either way, it would be tricky as far as placement is concerned since my tank isn't overcrowded with rocks.

But then u'll have the issue of the wire running all the way down ur tank and that's sorta difficult to conceal as well.

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Concealing the wire can be done but you had added water, sand and live rock so it's gonna be a challenge. You could run the wire at 1 corner of the tank but my concern is when you need to do maintenance on the pump.

• SRC Member

hi there. may i know does your api701 hv any motor roaring sound? not very good in describing the sound but jus wonder..or its very quiet?

im using api702 and the sound is kind of loud(my 1st deltex)

also the return pipe has lots of bubbles.im using aquabee pump to feed the skimmer.

izit true if the skimmer havent fully kick in cos tank not fully cycle usually will hv more bubbles and the motor sound too?

hope i did not confuse you with my questions. nice set up you hv.

• SRC Member

Hi MAG, i'm unsure about the motor roaring sound ur refering to. The pump does give off some noise but it's not unbearable and i hardly notice it with the doors closed. It's definately not as silent as my Red Dragon.

As for the return pipe returning alot of bubbles...i cant tell with my setup as the return goes into the first compartment of my sump along with my overflow pipes and it all goes through the filter floss then onto the next chamber. Hardly any microbubbles make it to the second chamber let alone back to the main tank.

I myself am unsure how long it takes for the skimmer to fully kick in. But i assume it's almost there for me. Just i hardly have much of a bioload in this tank right now so can't quite test out its capabilities as yet.

Maybe the 6 yellow tangs in intend to get this weekend will give the skimmer some work to do...haha :P

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

hi thx for the info, well it seams like we hv sm common interest-scholling fishes.

once my ready i also intend to get aro 6-8yellow tangs. the problem is my purple tang fr previous tank is aro 4inches+ so afraid mite attack the new comers.

my is fowlr tank.

i shall c how the skimmer + micro bubbles goes after cycle longer. currently only sand+h20. lr will go in on this sat.

Q:how to add the smilies faces?tried clicking but only this appear =:D

• SRC Member

Yeah...i like the idea of a few groups of schooling fishes...my plan for now would be school of chromis, YT and in future Blue Eye Anthias :)

What's the specs of ur tank? Share some pics of the setup! :)

I believe smiley faces are on the panel to ur left when ur replying to threads..click on the ones u want and it should show up. ;)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

sorry for late reply. i dont on computer all the time-only when in town or when im free.

well once all set up ill post my tank to share. my tank maker will do the scaping for and bring in lr too on this sat. hope by than i can fully cycle my tank. Where do you intend to buy your yt? Most probably will put in chromis 1st.

i like anthias too damn nice but was told not easy so mite kiv 1st.

its 6fts fowlr partition tank(between entrance and tv area)-very simple and basic setup cos only fish. Dont even hv chiller.

72" x 23" x 26" + sump 44" x 16" x 16"

tried double click the icon on the left but unable to cm out the smiley face???

What make you decide to use deltex and why 701? Where do you live? Im staying in yishun?

• SRC Member

Sounds like an interesting setup...continue to post pics and don't forget to post all the detailed setop shots (ie. sump and plumbing etc...i'm a setup freak :P)

I'm anticipating that my tank is gonna be FOWLR initially too....well for one...my chiller still isn't hooked up but the tank temp is maintaining fine at around 28-29 and sometimes up to 30 if i keep the lights on for long periods of time.

So far no issues with the chromis and rocks i guess :P Altho i'm starting to see some diatoms blooming but that is to be expected. I need to get myself some wave makers cos i think there isn't enough current in the tank. :P

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

hi i alre posted sm pic in members tread. pls comment ok when ur free.

will put in more pic tonite or tmr when free.

my tank maker is doi scaping for me. Do you do it yourself or smone did it for you?

My artistic skill not so good so got to depend on expert.

• SRC Member

Finally got my six yellow tangs :D

Also did some minor rescaping...think i'm good with the scape as is now...heres a couple of shots i just took tonight.

post-34-1186322918.jpg

southpaw23's reef